Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it annoying that others think you can speak Mandarin because you're Chinese? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Say that a Chinese person who is born and bred in any other country (say England) except China, Hong Kong and Macau. Then the same person goes to uni in England and some Chinese Mainlander (who is another student at the same uni) asks a question in Mandarin. The trouble is the person who is born and bred in England may not understand what they're saying in the first place. I personally think it's stupid regarding anyone who assumes that every Chinese person can speak Mandarin.

If they know the language, then that's fair play.

ReputationRep:
    You're a silly billy if you can't speak your mother tongue.

Thus making me a silly billy.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I had this problem when I went to China recently, I would constantly have shop workers coming up to me and asking me what I was looking for (Well, I'm guessing :P) and always have to explain to them that I don't understand. I'm a BBC, but I can speak Cantonese, just not Mandarin :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bong-Bong)

Mandarin isn't the only Chinese language that exists. The other main ones are Cantonese, Wu, Hakka, Min and Gan.

I know how to speak the first and the third languages.

My username does make it look like I'm from China. That's not true.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it so annoying...if its the main language then its bound to happen...say for example if i went to most places in india i would be spoken to in hindi as its the main language...gujarati is my main language but i understand hindi thanks to bollywood movies :P

ReputationRep:
    Well it's more likely that you can than a non-Chinese person, hence mainlanders try and maximise their odds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bong-Bong)

This post makes me feel a bit better about myself.

In response to the OP, I think it's so that the mainlanders can filter out the "friend-worthy" ones.

[/joke] before anyone complains. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got told off in one of the Chinese Languages today for sneezing. I sneezed into a handkerchief but got told off. At least I think I did anyway. Maybe they said bless me with a frown?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinjaing)
    Mandarin isn't the only Chinese language that exists. The other main ones are Cantonese, Wu, Hakka, Min and Gan.

I know how to speak the first and the third languages.

My username does make it look like I'm from China. That's not true.
    Fair enough, chalk that down to my ignorance.

And if you're not from China, what are you then, Mr/Ms.Xinjaing - native Liverpudlian :hmmm:?

ReputationRep:
    if you cant speak chinese then just tell them .there is nothing to annoy about...just get over it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.