Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I have my test on the 27th of this month. I do very rarely stall it at red lights, when I do it really annoys me and I make silly little mistakes that would be minors. Obviously I want to refrain from doing this on my test otherwise it could cost me a pass

What I was thinking was whilst the clutch is fully down, add gas and then slowly lift the clutch AFTER adding a bit of gas. I have been told to get it to biting point first and have always done this whilst on my lessons.

Would the car stall as I would not have the clutch at bite point first?

I know I could have asked my instructor but my lesson isn't until Tuesday and it's at the back of my mind.

Thanks in advance to anybody who helps .

ReputationRep:
    Don't hold me to this as this is the sort of question I'd ask myself, but I think the way you're describing is one of the ways that people do use to move off. The other being getting to biting point first like you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum Honisett)
    What I was thinking was whilst the clutch is fully down, add gas and then slowly lift the clutch AFTER adding a bit of gas.
    I do this and I have not stalled for over a year, although the reliability of this method varies from car to car. I don't bother with the biting point rubbish that everyone told me to do unless I'm on a hill.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to both of you, I'd +rep you both if it actually meant anything!

DJB_1990: I'm fine with hill starts, obviously my method I suggested would just make me roll back down the hill - I wont try that one! Perhaps my instructor tells me to get to bite point first to save fuel?

And just to confirm you add gas before you lift the clutch at all? So it isn't at biting point?

Again thanks for your help, both of you.

ReputationRep:
    Once you become more experienced you'll probably find you only hold a car on the bite point on a hill.

You get to the point where your foot will go down a set amount on the throttle and you'll just let the clutch up. Or, it'll go down a bit further if you want a quicker getaway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum Honisett)
    And just to confirm you add gas before you lift the clutch at all? So it isn't at biting point?
    Yes, its not the most orthodox method but by experience I've found that doing this almost prevents stalling (for me anyway). I was prone to stalling every so often before I started doing this so I always made sure I had enough gas to move before I lifted the clutch. I would recommend practising a bit first if possible but when you master it then you should be OK.

ReputationRep:
    Yh, increasing the revs slightly should sort that out. As long as you dont rev the tits off the car it wont go against you.

I'm assuming your driving a petrol car? Worst case scenario if your still not confident is to switch to a diesel. It most likely will sort your problem due to the **** load more torque they generate at lower revs.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks once again. And n0v0s my instrucor's car is a petrol engine. It's rare that it happens but as I said before it annoys me.

Trouble is I don't have a car to practice in so I'll have to give it a go on my lessons and see what my instructor says.

Thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    if you have the clutch down and press the accelerator wont you move lol?!

I get it just on or below the biting point, set a little bit of gas, then release the clutch as you move off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry_princess)

I get it just on or below the biting point, set a little bit of gas, then release the clutch as you move off...
    Nope. with the clutch down (ie to the floor) you can rev the nuts off it and you wont go anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I've been driving for several years and don't think about it at all, but the best bit of advice I was ever given was "engines make noise". Sounds obvious, but you examiner won't care if you bring the revs up a bit. I always tried to pull away as quietly as possible before it was pointed out to me that it's stupid and pointless. Good luck on your test.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry if you stall in your test, as long as you recover from it alright you won't get a major (unless you roll back but if you're fine with hill starts you should be okay). I stalled three times in a row but got away with just getting a couple of minors for it.

ReputationRep:

No, as it isn't in gear with the clutch down as the engine is disengaged from it.

ReputationRep:

I know I wouldn't move off lol. I meant add gas first, to rev it a little bit then carry on adding gas as I release the clutch at the same time, without having it at the bite point first.

That way hopefully I wont stall it anymore.

I'll get my dad to try it in his car tonight lol, he doesn't stall by the way I'd just like to see if it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0v0s)
    Yh, increasing the revs slightly should sort that out. As long as you dont rev the tits off the car it wont go against you.

I'm assuming your driving a petrol car? Worst case scenario if your still not confident is to switch to a diesel. It most likely will sort your problem due to the **** load more torque they generate at lower revs.
    agreed so much. Dont think id switch to a petrol unless i can afford a 2.0+, just cause im so used to diesel engines now.
    My driving instructors evil too, but he drives a diesel. Today i was on a 1in3 hill near my house, told me to go halfway up, stop, start, and balance using clutch and gas. Was hugely easy. I did the same in my mums 1.6 golf, i managed to wheelspin it off the line and stall.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to stall twice while doing a maneuver in my test. I thought I failed because of it, but didn't get marked down on it at all. I asked the test man at the end and he said provided you follow the proper procedure (into neutral, handbrake on, check blind spots and then restart the engine quickly) you will not get marked down for stalling. The only time you would get marked down for it would be if you didn't follow the procedure correctly. So, don't worry about it in your test.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.