Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to create another thread about league tables but i'm ever so slightly baffled and would appreciate some help

I'm doing a PGCE next September (hopefully) and am trying to decide where to apply. I studied my degree at Kingston University (not a great uni i know) but i saw they offer a PGCE course and quoted from their website "The School is rated among the top education departments in the country. The 2010 Guardian university league table has ranked the School as second in the United Kingdom."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...uide-education

According to the guardian Kingston is ranked the 2nd best for education in the country :confused: is this right?

The Times stated that it's 35th (i think) but obviously the Guardian's table has to mean something? Does anyone know if employers will recognise this as somewhere substantial to study a PGCE?

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore League tables they are a load of ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    You're on track to realising how truly useless these rankings tables are. You are seeing it for yourself. University rankings (in this measure at least) don't matter to employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    Ignore League tables they are a load of ********.
    Ignore her, everyone who says that probably goes to a crappy uni (no offense)

Employers do not look at the ranking of the department but the actual university it self.

ReputationRep:
    But does this mean Kingston will still be a good University to study that particular course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)

Employers do not look at the ranking of the department but the actual university it self.
    I agree to some extent with this and I think it would be best if you applied somewhere that is a top university overall and one of the top places to study education. This isn't my field so I can't tell you where that might be but do your research and try searching some threads on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    I agree to some extent with this and I think it would be best if you applied somewhere that is a top university overall and one of the top places to study education.

But according to The Guardian it is one of the top places to study education.... Second best, infact.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore her, everyone who says that probably goes to a crappy uni (no offense)

Crappy unis are only seen as that because of the League tables which hinder the universitys that arent as good as oxford, Thats why I think they are aload of ****. Its your education and its what you make it and just because a Uni is one of the best doesnt mean that you will have the best degree.
    I'm not at uni yet.

ReputationRep:
    rah Lestas dropped to 15th, bad times.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about league tables, but not important enough to make a new thread about. Hope you don't mind if I ask it here.

In the times rankings, in the 2009 table the uni I'm going to was reasonably high for the subject that I'm going to study, in the '10 table it's gone to almost the bottom. The field for its 'research quality' or whatever, is blank, does this mean that they just didn't obtain that info and that's why it's gone a lot lower?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura182)
    I have a question about league tables, but not important enough to make a new thread about. Hope you don't mind if I ask it here.

In the times rankings, in the 2009 table the uni I'm going to was reasonably high for the subject that I'm going to study, in the '10 table it's gone to almost the bottom. The field for its 'research quality' or whatever, is blank, does this mean that they just didn't obtain that info and that's why it's gone a lot lower?
    This has alot to do with the recent Research Assessment Excersise (RAE) done in late 2008. The 2009 table was based on old RAE data (2001 I believe), and the 2010 is based on the new (2008). This is why there are some large changes in the rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    This was to do with the recent Research Assessment Excersise (RAE) done in late 2008. The 2009 table was based on very old RAE data (2001 I believe), and the 2010 is based on the new (2008). This is why there are some oddly large changes in the rankings.
    Ok, thanks, so since it has no value for research does it mean it has done no research at all for that subject? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks, so since it has no value for research does it mean it has done no research at all for that subject? :confused:
    No research was done/submitted, so it will mess up the ranking. All you need to know is that the current ranking of your university may not be an accurate representation of it's quality.

The same has happened for UCL (on Times). UCL is ranked 52nd for business studies.

ReputationRep:
    :topic:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Do you employ people? If not, which employer/s have told you that they look at university rankings when employing people?

Stupidest thing I have seen all day. You're saying that not only does an employer look at university ranking tables aimed at undergraduate students (they almost always do not as it's not relevant), but you're saying that if an accountant was going to an accountancy firm for an accounting position, they wouldn't be interested in the strength of the accounting course at the uni where they studied, but are far more interested in the overall ranking?

Why do people who are THIS ignorant continue to post?

Hana, it's very important that you ignore this incredibly idiotic fool.
    Wow easy... no need for the name calling

Well firstly it's obvious that Universities that are academically harder to get into contain students who are more academically able than those that are easier to get into and therefore employers would see them as most suited for their jobs. If you have an individual who has an Accountancy degree from LSE and another individual who has Accountancy degree from Middlesex University, which one do you think employers would hire?

Because it is much harder to get into LSE than it is for Middlesex, obviously the level of exams and workload are much higher in the former to match the students' academic ability and thus that individual will graduate more educated and qualified than the latter.

The strength of the department is useless because that would be like having the best stadium in the world but it is owned by the worst team.

and seriously why do you have your shirt off

ReputationRep:
    league tables, these so many out there all tell us different things they shouldn't be important when picking a uni,ie. the independent ranks education 50th
    they don't hold as much weight as people would like to think on here

your best bet is post in the teaching forum and asking, as they will know more, and you won't get useless comments

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=97

ReputationRep:
    and seriously why do you have your shirt off
    I would love to see the face behind all that attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaniqua)
    I would love to see the face behind all that attitude.
    what attitude and what neg rep?

ReputationRep:
    what attitude and what neg rep?
    Is there a cutie hiding in there, or a MONSTER?

ReputationRep:
    Why is this becoming so off topic? Grrr.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.