Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    keqagye tales are a bbvnch of **** eserveced in a **** sandwhich eith a sinde helpigin of **** :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillV3)
    keqagye tales are a bbvnch of **** eserveced in a **** sandwhich eith a sinde helpigin of **** :O

Drunk, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    Drunk, anyone?
    perhaos byt u hos d nt opubuon that ybucersity league teable s are alof of ******** :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Wow easy... no need for the name calling

Well firstly it's obvious that Universities that are academically harder to get into contain students who are more academically able than those that are easier to get into and therefore employers would see them as most suited for their jobs. If you have an individual who has an Accountancy degree from LSE and another individual who has Accountancy degree from Middlesex University, which one do you think employers would hire?

Because it is much harder to get into LSE than it is for Middlesex, obviously the level of exams and workload are much higher in the former to match the students' academic ability and thus that individual will graduate more educated and qualified than the latter.

The strength of the department is useless because that would be like having the best stadium in the world but it is owned by the worst team.

and seriously why do you have your shirt off
    Because I'm tired of seeing crap like this from people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. You're giving 'advice' to somebody when you have NO IDEA what you're saying.

The VAST majority of employers are far, far more interested in what class degree they have (nearly always 2.1 or higher) than the current ranking on the Times/Guardian etc. Also, employers will, of course, be aware of what universities are considered good (everyone knows of traditional universities), but few have the time, the interest or the stupidity to look on university ranking tables that have no use to them whatsoever (they all vary hugely and they all change considerably year on year).

I am telling you this as a person who was part of my own companies' recruitment procedures for 2 years and as the family member and friend of many, many people who also have wide experience with recruiting employees.

In future, stop humiliating yourself by stating useless and untrue opinions as if they are fact. There are alot of people like you on this forum, and constantly reading the tunnel vision opinions grows tiresome.

ReputationRep:
    perhaos byt u hos d nt opubuon that ybucersity league teable s are alof of ******** :eek:
    Seriously man. Go drink some more and pass out. Right now you should not be on the internets.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    thAnk you th epcut amde me laugh

ReputationRep:
    thAnk you th epcut amde me laugh
    :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Because I'm tired of seeing crap like this from people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. You're giving 'advice' to somebody when you have NO IDEA what you're saying.

The VAST majority of employers are far, far more interested in what class degree they have (nearly always 2.1 or higher) than the current ranking on the Times/Guardian etc. Also, employers will, of course, be aware of what universities are considered good (everyone knows of traditional universities), but few have the time, the interest or the stupidity to look on university ranking tables that have no use to them whatsoever (they all vary hugely and they all change considerably year on year).

I am telling you this as a person who was part of my own companies' recruitment procedures for 2 years and as the family member and friend of many, many people who also have wide experience with recruiting employees.

In future, stop humiliating yourself by stating useless and untrue opinions as if they are fact. There are alot of people like you on this forum, and constantly reading the tunnel vision opinions grows tiresome.
    That's what I basically told you :rolleyes: , Low universities are KNOWN as low universities and carry the stigma with it and employers know this fully well. Employers already have a standard of what a level degree they want from you but if you want to be chosen for the job they'd like to know that actually earned that degree as much as they want you to earn their money.

The benchmark to achieve a degree is much harder from a top university because the information/workload is much bigger (therefore you'd have to know more about the chosen subject which makes you more qualified) and the exams are much, much harder and this will produce a more educated graduate who'd actually contribute something to their employer.

It's basic survival of the fittest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    That's what I basically told you :rolleyes: , Low universities are KNOWN as low universities and carry the stigma with it and employers know this fully well. Employers already have a standard of what a level degree they want from you but if you want to be chosen for the job they'd like to know that actually earned that degree as much as they want you to earn their money.

The benchmark to achieve a degree is much harder from a top university because the information/workload is much bigger (therefore you'd have to know more about the chosen subject which makes you more qualified) and the exams are much, much harder and this will produce a more educated graduate who'd actually contribute something to their employer.

It's basic survival of the fittest.

No. No. No.

This must be the greatest of all delusions on this forum. People actually think there's a big difference between the difficulties in obtaining degrees at different institutions.

I can prove you wrong with great ease. Judging by your 'logic' you seem to think that, for example, an LSE 2.2 is worth as much as (if not more) than a Westminster 1st. If you browse University websites and look at post graduate qaulification requirements (like Oxford, Warwick, LSE etc), you will notice that they ask you for a 2.1 degree or better. They don't ask you what Uni your bachelors degree came from. They want a 2.1 degree, wherever that comes from and if you don't have it, the 2.2 is virtually useless, regardless of where you got it.

Don't you think that if degrees are so much easier at 'low ranked' universities, they would filter them out?

I personally know people who've gone to Uni's ranked near the very bottom of rankings tables, achieved a 2.1 or first and are now doing a Masters degree at some of the best Universities in the country, including LSE and Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Hana, thanks for starting this thread as I am considering applying for a primary PGCE at Kingston this September. I have definitely decided on Roehampton (I am doing my degree here), just torn between St Mary's and Kingston atm as my other choice! I'm not sure what to make of these league tables...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherbearbunnykins)
    Hana, thanks for starting this thread as I am considering applying for a primary PGCE at Kingston this September. I have definitely decided on Roehampton (I am doing my degree here), just torn between St Mary's and Kingston atm as my other choice! I'm not sure what to make of these league tables...

Have you heard much about the universities for education? I know Kingston is pretty low in the normal league tables but as far as i'm aware (the Guardian league table for example!) is rated very good for education.

Argh someone heeeeeelp!

ReputationRep:
    in regard to my application of pgce's next year i will be completely ignoring the league tables and chose the university that i will be offered the most interesting and challenging placements.

unless you've been to oxford or cambridge i have found that employers aren't bothered by which uni you have attended they are more interested in the grades achieved. and if i was to relate this to a pgce i say that from my own knowledge and from speaking to contacts within schools and university's that the placement reference and the nature of the placement (eg if you have thrived in a difficult inner city placement you are more employable than someone who has been in a small village school).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to create another thread about league tables but i'm ever so slightly baffled and would appreciate some help

I'm doing a PGCE next September (hopefully) and am trying to decide where to apply. I studied my degree at Kingston University (not a great uni i know) but i saw they offer a PGCE course and quoted from their website "The School is rated among the top education departments in the country. The 2010 Guardian university league table has ranked the School as second in the United Kingdom."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...uide-education

According to the guardian Kingston is ranked the 2nd best for education in the country :confused: is this right?

The Times stated that it's 35th (i think) but obviously the Guardian's table has to mean something? Does anyone know if employers will recognise this as somewhere substantial to study a PGCE?

Thanks for any help.
    Hey,

Firstly, you need to ignore most of what's been said in this thread (bar the post above me.) They've gone off topic on a general university ranking debate.

Secondly, the Guardian league table (and the times one) refers to undergraduate courses and not postgraduate ones, so it's not particularly relevant.

I don't think schools take much notice of the reputation or ranking of the university you did your PGCE at. It's how well you do in your assignments and placements that really matter. So choose a university that you think will help you do your best and give you the support you need during placements rather than one that some journalist has listed as number 2 or 15 or whatever on the basis of, really, quite shoddy evidence.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Miss World is correct. Schools don't care in the slightest where you did your PGCE. When you apply for a NQT job, we are interested in how you perform at interview and your reference from your placement school - we don't even pay that much attention to your university reference as we suspect they don't really know you very well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.