Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking both laptop and desktop to uni, is it a good idea? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically i have both a laptop and a desktop computer, and I wish to take them both to uni as I don't see the point of leaving my desktop at home... BUT is it a good idea as;

1. Will there be enough room in my room for both?
    2. Am I able to leave my stuff in my room even if I'm not there (say term has ended and I go home, can I leave stuff in the student accomodation?)
    3. Isnit actully worth it (or even benificial) to have both with me at uni???

Thanks!

Colin Wiseman.

ReputationRep:
    Just take the desktop.

ReputationRep:
    Take both why not?

Desktop for working in your room, laptop for working everywhere else.

Presuming the uni you are going to has wifi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiseman123)
    Basically i have both a laptop and a desktop computer, and I wish to take them both to uni as I don't see the point of leaving my desktop at home... BUT is it a good idea as;

2. Am I able to leave my stuff in my room even if I'm not there (say term has ended and I go home, can I leave stuff in the student accomodation?)

Thanks!

Colin Wiseman.
    1. Well...how big is your room?
    2. Well...what does it say in your contract?
    3. In my opinion, no.

ReputationRep:
    I have got the same problem, I read somewhere that Laptops and stuff are often stolen @uni, that's why I am unsure about Laptop or both. Becaus- if Desktop, I'd also bring my graphic tablet

:s:

ReputationRep:
    Seems a bit pointless to me to take both.

ReputationRep:
    I took both, have desktop at home and then take laptop if i need to work in the library. Worked really well for me as I have a very small laptop (well, I do now, I had a regular sized one when i was in my first year!). Most of my friends have massive laptops that are much less portable as they are their main machine, so it hurts to lug them too far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindath)
    I have got the same problem, I read somewhere that Laptops and stuff are often stolen @uni, that's why I am unsure about Laptop or both. Becaus- if Desktop, I'd also bring my graphic tablet

:s:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Security_Slot if you're worried although having a heavy table is needed of course :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you had to pick one, I'd go for the laptop and a lock.

ReputationRep:
    Take both.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to my uni with a laptop and will later on by another screen, desktop

If u r not afraid from excessive luggage, go for it :>

ReputationRep:
    I have a custom built gaming desktop with tv card, two monitors and hooked up to 5.1 surround sound but I'm not taking it due to issues of portability and the fact that I *hopefully* won't have time to use it much with all the social scene going on and stuff.

My Laptop is as good as if not better than my desktop anyway so I get the benefit of a much smaller package that does everything I want it to including quite oddly surround sound (the only model of laptop to have it) with great performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamer99)
    I have a custom built gaming desktop with tv card, two monitors and hooked up to 5.1 surround sound but I'm not taking it due to issues of portability and the fact that I *hopefully* won't have time to use it much with all the social scene going on and stuff.

My Laptop is as good as if not better than my desktop anyway so I get the benefit of a much smaller package that does everything I want it to including quite oddly surround sound (the only model of laptop to have it) with great performance.
    this may be a stupid question but i will shoot

with that tv card for freeview i assume, do you still pay for a tv licence.

i am thinking of doing the same thing when i go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiseman123)

Thanks!

Colin Wiseman.
    Laptop is worthless when you have a desktop, most are far too heavy and big for lectures etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarrenClarke)
    this may be a stupid question but i will shoot

with that tv card for freeview i assume, do you still pay for a tv licence.

i am thinking of doing the same thing when i go to uni.
    Yeah, you need a tv licence for any device capable of recieving a tv signal (except for tvs used for playing games or whatnot).

ReputationRep:
    I'm just taking my laptop.

Depends on the uni. My friend's at uni and she has to move everything out during holiday terms when she goes home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    Depends on the uni. My friend's at uni and she has to move everything out during holiday terms when she goes home.
    Yeah. You honestly can't lug a desktop, a monitor and all the peripherals home on the train twice a term especially with all the rest of your belongings.

ReputationRep:
    Surely just taking a laptop would be suffice. It would be easier when you want to get home and also you never know when things may get stolen.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I can't live without my desktop, I'll even be taking my printer to uni, but I live close so lugging isn't a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, my PC will remain at home lol

Ill just take my Laptop

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.