Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you choose love over university? Watch

Here's a scenario for you to think about:

You've just met the person of your dreams. They are stunning, intelligent, friendly and down to earth. You really believe that they are the one.

You spend a few months together and you fall deeply in love with this person. You've been trying to put off uni as 'ages away' or 'we'll deal with it nearer the time'; however, that time has come and you need to make a decision. The only university you could get into is miles away and it would be completely unfair to ask your partner to give up their friends, family and work to move away for your benefit.

In this situation, staying with the partner means that you cannot attend university. Forget about the dynamics for now, perhaps your partner lives very rurally or nowhere near any university you want to go to.

So would you leave your partner (a long distance relationship is out of the question) or give up university?

ReputationRep:
    In short, personally going university might get me further than a relationship would in life. Just imo.

Yep.

(I'm an idiot.)

ReputationRep:
    They'll get over it, and you'll probably meet someone better at uni anyway. Or at least a string of decent shags.

ReputationRep:
    If I had to – if I absolutely had to – I'd probably choose uni. And I feel bad for saying that. Thankfully I'm not in the situation as the uni I want to go to is in Glasgow anyway, and I only live about half an hour away (even tho I'll be moving into halls) but if I'd had to, I would have gone further afield. It would just be something I had to do –*I'd resent my partner if I knew I'd given up my education for them.

ReputationRep:
    Uni, the relationship could end and then what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Here's a scenario for you to think about:

You've just met the person of your dreams. They are stunning, intelligent, friendly and down to earth. You really believe that they are the one.

You spend a few months together and you fall deeply in love with this person. You've been trying to put off uni as 'ages away' or 'we'll deal with it nearer the time'; however, that time has come and you need to make a decision. The only university you could get into is miles away and it would be completely unfair to ask your partner to give up their friends, family and work to move away for your benefit.

In this situation, staying with the partner means that you cannot attend university. Forget about the dynamics for now, perhaps your partner lives very rurally or nowhere near any university you want to go to.

So would you leave your partner (a long distance relationship is out of the question) or give up university?
    University. The odds on the relationship lasting are less than the odds of actually completing your degree. You can get a lot further with a degree than a boyfriend, and if you move to go to uni, you may even meet someone on your course who you have more in common with, and can spend time with without sacrificing your career and ambitions. Although I think both are important
    career and uni > boyfriend / girlfriend relationship

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't understand why a long distance relationship would be out of the question? :s

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I'd drop uni in a heartbeat. Though it wouldn't apply to everyone, this is something where I'd throw myself at it completely and cast all ordinary rationality aside.

I'd quickly come to the conclusion that life is too short and some things really are worth nominally insane risks for. As I say though, that's just me and many wouldn't think like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubert Poo)
    I'd drop uni in a heartbeat. Though it wouldn't apply to everyone, this is something where I'd throw myself at it completely and cast all ordinary rationality aside.

I'd quickly come to the conclusion that life is too short and some things really are worth nominally insane risks for. As I say though, that's just me and many wouldn't think like that.

i agree actually, if the relationship was serious enough and i thought the feelings were strong enough id also drop uni in a heartbeat for it.....lifes too short as you said...:yes:

ReputationRep:
    University, no question. Think about the consequences and possible outcomes...

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't everything think they are deeply in love/relationship is serious etc after a few months or whatever? That doesn't mean it'll still be the case 6 months down the line. And I would choose university, no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Uni, the relationship could end and then what?
    Exactly, love won't get u a degree unfortunately.

OP can't you be in love AND go to university? Long distance relationship maybe? Just a thought..

EDIT: If a long distance relationship was impossible, then it wouldn't be love, so uni is the best choice

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely university. I'd be absolutely gutted sans university degree and it would prevent me doing things not only in my immediate career, but prevent from doing things that I've always imagined I would do afterward.

Plus, you never know that a relationship will last. But a university degree is forever. :love:

ReputationRep:
    I was saying to my ex that I would be prepared to take a year or two out for the sake of our relationship, if we were to give things another go. Sadly, she remains my ex.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, if the relationship really did entail me having "the one", and it really was bound to last forever.....then maybe I'd pass up university.

However, if there's only one university I can get into, I'm pretty much an idiot aren't I? I'll probably end up picking the girl.

ReputationRep:
    University. I'm a cold hearted dragon apparently.
    Perhaps, long-distance?

ReputationRep:
    Did they refuse a LDR? Because if they did is it really love?

ReputationRep:
    University is far more important,

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.