Turn on thread page Beta

Would you choose love over university? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was in that situation. I was a stupid girl and wanted to choose love, but the guy wasn't who I thought he was.

If I had it to do again, I'd choose university with no hesitation. It has opened so many doors for me already. Lovers can leave and stuff happens, but once you have an education nobody can take that from you.

ReputationRep:
    I chose the man and it worked out for me BUT i was looking at uni as it was the "done" thing rather than having a job in mind at the end of it. I didnt have a clue what i wanted to do so it would have probably been a waste of 3 yrs and £15k.
    It worked out well for me, instead of a degree i have a transferable trade skill and valuable work experiance. I think I am in a better position now than my friends with degrees.

HOWEVER it all depends on what you plans post degree were. If for example you want to become a chartered accountant, you need a degree and this is achievable.

You just need to weigh up everything.
    What would you do with a degree you cant achieve through hard work, is it required?
    What is your motivation for going to uni? Its not guarenteed to get you a good job, but it is a good life experiance.
    What will you do if you dont go, you'll need a job and to make it worth it it needs to be a job with good career prospects...dont throw it (uni) all away and expect to live off of love! You will only resent the decision when you are skint and stacking shelves in tesco.
    How sure are you that this relationship will last, how long has it been? I was with my OH 2 yrs when i made this decision.
    Would you consider a distance learning degree or do a degree through employment which is harder work but doesnt require living away.

University, I've seen so many people fall deeply in love and do ridiculous things that I'm scared of having a relationship at all lol

ReputationRep:
    University, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    If the two of you are that perfect you could make it while you went to uni. If you can't, you're obviously not right together.

I know someone who went to uni in wales for four years, while his wife stayed way up north, they barely saw eachother....and now they're happily married.

Why is a long distance relationship "out of the question"?

ReputationRep:
    why put off university lol...if anything went wrong in the relationship, he's gone [poof] and there she is in the middle of a field with some 6 babies and some cows and not a higher qualification to her name to sort her life out :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Here's a scenario for you to think about:

You've just met the person of your dreams. They are stunning, intelligent, friendly and down to earth. You really believe that they are the one.

You spend a few months together and you fall deeply in love with this person. You've been trying to put off uni as 'ages away' or 'we'll deal with it nearer the time'; however, that time has come and you need to make a decision. The only university you could get into is miles away and it would be completely unfair to ask your partner to give up their friends, family and work to move away for your benefit.

In this situation, staying with the partner means that you cannot attend university. Forget about the dynamics for now, perhaps your partner lives very rurally or nowhere near any university you want to go to.

So would you leave your partner (a long distance relationship is out of the question) or give up university?
    Giving up university for a relationship is madness in my opinion. If it's really such a perfect relationship then it should be able to survive long distance. If neither of you are willing to do it then why not postpone it for 3 years, and if you are still desperate to be with each other when you finish uni then it really is meant to be. Chances are that it's not as great as you think and you won't be interested any more though.

At 17 you don't really understand what you want or need in life, and if you missed uni for some girl/guy you will end up regretting it eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Uni.

I honestly don't see why you couldn't do long distance though.

If you are so in love as you say you are wouldn't you at least give it a go??

ReputationRep:
    and anyway if the love really was that immense a long distance relationship WOULD work as nothing should be able to come inbetween it and he would understand and let her do anything to be happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    Giving up university for a relationship is madness in my opinion. If it's really such a perfect relationship then it should be able to survive long distance. If neither of you are willing to do it then why not postpone it for 3 years, and if you are still desperate to be with each other when you finish uni then it really is meant to be. Chances are that it's not as great as you think and you won't be interested any more though.

At 17 you don't really understand what you want or need in life, and if you missed uni for some girl/guy you will end up regretting it eventually.
    yup totally agree
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd give it up.

In my chosen career, a degree is unnecessary as you have to get the same qualifications whatever you do; the degree basically just means you can take less exams in the actual professional quals. It still takes three years to complete, so actually you're at a disadvantage to go to University!

I still did though...

ReputationRep:
    No question; uni.
    And i actually do have to make this choice too

ReputationRep:
    Why is long distance out of the question? That seems to solve your problems.
    If you're not 'prepared' to do it, you obviously don't love them that much, because then you'd do anything to keep them. We're not in these things for the enjoyment value.

I'd pick university. You'll get over them.

ReputationRep:
    I´d choose uni. I would resent my partner because I gave up uni for them, and it also puts a lot of pressure on them to make things work if they know you gave up that chance for them. So it´s kinder on both to break up. If it was that worth it, you could pick things up after uni.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the people saying surely if you're that in love then an LDR should be feasible.
    However, if I had to choose, I'd go with Uni like most other people.
    You can always continue the relationship after Uni (presuming they haven't met someone else).
    Uni is just far too important for my future career prospects to let it go, and however much I love my boyfriend, I somehow can't see him magically providing me with everything I need job-wise.
    There are more aspects of happiness than relationships - work satisfaction and "doing" something with life being one of them. And I would be looking forward to Uni as a life experience too much to just give it up.

ReputationRep:
    OP might mean no LDR because it's impossible, like no phone or something. I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    OP might mean no LDR because it's impossible, like no phone or something. I don't know.
    Surely a phone would be a small price to pay for love? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Long distance relationships are harder than they sound. I'd been with my partner for a bit over three years. We were very very close, until he went to uni last year. I wanted to keep it up and tried very hard, but he changed. I tried to ignore it, but eventually he ended it. It's sad, and I'm still mourning for the guy I fell in love with three years ago, but he's gone. Sad times. Only just decided to stop crying.

Saying that, my Parents met when they were sixteen. My mum gave up going to Uni for my dad, and they spent a year with my mum in sweden and my dad in england or africa or something (they met in Kenya...) Theyre still together, like 40 years later, and still love each other very much, so it can work. Clearly my guy just wasn't the one for me.

At least I can go to Uni in october with nothing hanging over me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely choose uni, as I think obtaining a degree is more important to me at this point in my life than a relationship. It may also be more difficult to get back into uni if you decided you wanted to reapply later on. Remember, once you have the degree, you will always have it, but relationships are less certain in this respect! You may be able to get back together after you finish uni anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah like other people said, definitly choose university... If you guys love each other that much then you will be able to keep an LDR ... But I understand the situation you're in, my boyfriend and I have been together for 2 months and have decided that we're staying together even though he's going to Scotland for uni and I'm going to the South of England... Check out the Long Distance Relationship Society on TSR, loads of "happy-endings" with people who have had LDRs

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.