Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you choose love over university? watch

ReputationRep:
    No way would I choose a relationship over a life plan.

It creates a habit of compromising which you'll have to break later down the line.

You give up uni.
    You give up a job?
    You give up moving away?
    You give up having kids?

Ergh. People need more integrity nowadays. Especially when they're so young and have a whole life to plan.

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick university

ReputationRep:
    I'd always firmly said "no".
    Yet last week I rang up to defer my entry and do a gap year..even though I opted for Cardiff which is only 45mins away instead of Exeter.
    It's always been easy to give an opinion from an outsider's point of view, but unless you're the one in the relationship, it does change your way of thinking dramatically.

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose love.
    But that's probably because I don't go to university, and my degree is studied from home. Also, I don't need a degree for what I want to do in life.

ReputationRep:
    University, without a doubt, no questions asked. If I cared about the person THAT much that I would even CONSIDER giving up my education (which I don't think is very likely).... surely I like them enough to make long-distance work?

ReputationRep:
    university:yes: is more important imo, if you are meant to be together you will and if not you won't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanderlust)
    No way would I choose a relationship over a life plan.

It creates a habit of compromising which you'll have to break later down the line.

You give up uni.
    You give up a job?
    You give up moving away?
    You give up having kids?

Ergh. People need more integrity nowadays. Especially when they're so young and have a whole life to plan.
    Lol there is no logic behind that. If you seriously consider giving up uni then it means you arent serious about doing it anyway - alot of people go to uni just cos it is expected and there is no guarentee that it will give you a better life. More so if there is no greater plan past uni.

I gave up going to uni, but I worked harder in other aspects in my life - have never waivered on my job or my family. I made the judgement that Uni wasnt that important to my life at the time and i believe it was the right course of action for me, not for everyone but it was for me.

Im not saying the OP should quit, or should go, but they should look at it from all aspects. Weigh up what you will gain from uni, realistically, or what you will do if you dont go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So would you leave your partner (a long distance relationship is out of the question) or give up university?

Let me put it this way:

One of my closest friends turned down a research scholarship at MIT so that his wife wouldn't spend two years bored out of her tiny mind out there on a spouse's visa (she wouldn't even have been able to do voluntary work). They got divorced about four years ago, and he's pretty much regretted that decision ever since he made it...

So, always put your academic, or indeed any career ahead of a relationship that is anything less than five years old... Anything less and as much as you might think it will last, the sad truth is that it probably won't and your missed opportunity will probably do more to sour the relationship than anything else...

Of course if you've got better chances of getting onto a better course next year, and you can afford to take a year out to work, etc... then that is a different story. But if it looks like this is the one and only chance to get onto the course of your dreams, or to start a lengthy training program (for law or medicine for example), then go to uni ASAP and if the relationship works, then it does, if it doesn't then it was never meant to be in the first place...

ReputationRep:
    Only if she was rich and there wasn't a prenup

ReputationRep:
    Probably, love. lol
    But because I'm so amazing, I can have both.

ReputationRep:
    A more fun question would be:

"Would you go to uni, and never be able to love again, or be in love and never be able to go to uni".

ReputationRep:
    i'd go to uni
    you've only known them a few months

ReputationRep:
    Uni

ReputationRep:
    Go to uni or end up in a dead-end job, in a dead-end place resenting your partner for preventing you from going somewhere in life.

And that's from someone in a longer-term relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I'd chose love; my boyfriend is much more important to me than going to university is. Thankfully, I don't have to choose.

ReputationRep:
    University. Love is great and everything but you're not going to find it in one person.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation
    I chose the uni and since its "miles away" and i won't be able to see friends, boyfriend for a lot of time I started severing my relations with them as later on it will be easier for me to brake with them completely...

Kinda *****y, but hey, I'm starting a new life, isn't that right... :>

ReputationRep:
    Id stay in contact with the person in question but Id break up to go to university.
    If the question was "would you choose love over a well paid new job" or something, then definitely yes!
    But as it is, Id have to go with university, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Here's a scenario for you to think about:

You've just met the person of your dreams. They are stunning, intelligent, friendly and down to earth. You really believe that they are the one.

You spend a few months together and you fall deeply in love with this person. You've been trying to put off uni as 'ages away' or 'we'll deal with it nearer the time'; however, that time has come and you need to make a decision. The only university you could get into is miles away and it would be completely unfair to ask your partner to give up their friends, family and work to move away for your benefit.

In this situation, staying with the partner means that you cannot attend university. Forget about the dynamics for now, perhaps your partner lives very rurally or nowhere near any university you want to go to.

So would you leave your partner (a long distance relationship is out of the question) or give up university?
    well it is up to you...I didn't go to university straight after my alevels due to a guy who I thought I was in love with and he ended up cheating on me!! I am now 21 and starting Uni this september. I am with someone else now who is the love of my life luckily I managed to get into a University which is close to me so I don't have to move away ! I think whatever you choose to do you will think it is the wrong 1!
    Have you considered deferring a year ? Therefore you have a yr to see how things go with your new love as people can fall out of love a lot quicker than they can fall in love & next year maybe he would consider moving with you if you are still together!? x

ReputationRep:
    Uni. If it was really love then an LDR would work out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.