Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you choose love over university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ldr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    They'll get over it, and you'll probably meet someone better at uni anyway. Or at least a string of decent shags.
    Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Loves unpredictable and may not last forever...But once you have a degree, no-one can ever take it away from you and you'll (hopefully) get further in life..
    Your education is for life..love is probably not (well not at such a young age anyway!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Here's a scenario for you to think about:

You've just met the person of your dreams. They are stunning, intelligent, friendly and down to earth. You really believe that they are the one.

You spend a few months together and you fall deeply in love with this person. You've been trying to put off uni as 'ages away' or 'we'll deal with it nearer the time'; however, that time has come and you need to make a decision. The only university you could get into is miles away and it would be completely unfair to ask your partner to give up their friends, family and work to move away for your benefit.

In this situation, staying with the partner means that you cannot attend university. Forget about the dynamics for now, perhaps your partner lives very rurally or nowhere near any university you want to go to.

So would you leave your partner (a long distance relationship is out of the question) or give up university?
    I'd give up uni in a heartbeat. I've been really unlucky in love and keep getting hurt. The last girl has pretty much shattered my heart and I doubt I'm ever going to let anyone close to me again. If I could find a girl who could glue my heart back together, I'd do anything to be with her...

ReputationRep:
    iv gta do this in september.. leave my bf behind in kent, while i travel up 2 lincoln. probs wont c him for abt 3 weeks at a time! just have 2 c how it goes i guess.. lol

ReputationRep:
    uni, if you could keep the relationship up over a long distant and trust then itll porbably work out

ReputationRep:
    Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ******* big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed- interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ******* fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing ******* junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ******-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life: I chose something else...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on who love/university is

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose Uni everytime.

If its love, they will wait and they'd want you to go to uni because they'd want you to make something of yourself.

If it isn't love, then why waste an amazing opportunity because someone was trying to hold you back?

Like has been said, relationships come & go. You never know if you're going to be with the person forever, & if it turns out you break up sometime in the future, you'll never forgive yourself.

Plus, LDR's can work. I'm in one at Uni & we see each other once every 3 weeks & it works.. because we want it to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibb~)
    Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ******* big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed- interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ******* fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing ******* junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ******-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life: I chose something else...
    I'd choose you :love:

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose to go to university everytime. At such a young age boyfriends/girlfriends will come and go, but if you get a degree you'll have it for life. Also, as some people are saying you may meet someone even better for you at uni. Although, I don't see how a LDR wouldn't work either.

Uni. There's always commuting / weekends etc. Nothing is impossible so if I wanted the relationship to work I'd find a way.

ReputationRep:
    I'm more of a follow-your-heart kinda person, so I would stay.

Where there is a will, there is a way, though...

ReputationRep:
    No way, I'd go to uni :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have to and I don't believe that anyone would have to choose university over a relationship if their partner was truly supportive no matter how far away they went.

If my man went to uni halfway round the world I'd still try and make it work - even if it was virtually impossible to see each other for months at a time. Love is worth it...

At the end of the day you don't have to be standing in the same room as someone to know you love them and even if they're thousands of miles away there's still a person in the world who you love and who loves you - and that is worth everything.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if i was in love that much, to the point of no returning to ever liking anyone else, I'd try still being with them, but going to uni. Even if only saw them every six months or something. With the idea that, If the love is that strong it will make it through the tough time.
    Hard to think of it anyway, I'm glad I'm not in the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    I'd choose you :love:
    Then rep me darl :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibb~)
    So what? You chose a smack addiction?

University, girls come and go

ReputationRep:
    I had to do this. I met an absolutely wonderful girl when I was backpacking. Very long story, not sure I want to go into detail now. Perhaps we will have a chance to be together in the medium term future. Perhaps not, I don't like thinking about it too much because frankly, even a year on, it still hurts.

Well at least I can't say my life is boring That would be worse.

ReputationRep:
    I would be very tempted to give uni up for such a 'perfect' person. But, if I was being realistic, I'd know that one person would be easier to get over than a potential mass of opportunities. Mainly because I don't really have any talents. I'm very academic and I am relying on education etc to begin my career in an area I want to be in. As far as I can see, choosing the relationship would limit my career options and I honestly don't think I could ever truly be happy with this.

Then again, if you'd asked me this before I'd been to university then I might have a different answer!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.