Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you want to find people with substance and ignore the brainless masses.

ReputationRep:
    Lily Allen

David Beckham is a brilliant role-model, he grew up in Leytonstone and made it big. I live near Leytonstone and it is a rough area so he did really well.

I think you just sound a bit old in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Lily Allen

David Beckham is a brilliant role-model, he grew up in Leytonstone and made it big. I live near Leytonstone and it is a rough area so he did really well.

I think you just sound a bit old in all honesty.
    I'm 17 but I feel old.

Nah you're wrong about Beckham, yeah he made it big from nothing, so what? He also had an affair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    its not really a story is it, more of a rant if anything. :rolleyes:
    I don't get the deal with the camera. Can one not take pictures at a party they attend or something, without the assumption that it is only for FB?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 but I feel old.

Nah you're wrong about Beckham, yeah he made it big from nothing, so what? He also had an affair.
    Loads of people have affairs and I mean loads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I don't get the deal with the camera. Can one not take pictures at a party they attend or something, without the assumption that it is only for FB?
    Yes ok maybe i'm being silly there. But the other week I invited some friends over coz my parents were away. It wasnt a house party we were just going to relax and have some drinks. Anyway someone came and brought a camera, they were taking photos every 2 minutes. We were only sitting on the floor talking, anyway the photos went straight onto FB. Sometimes people do bring out the cameras for FB.

ReputationRep:
    Well personally I wouldn't call those people good role models.

ReputationRep:
    Thats alright then, loads of people do drugs and kill people, is that ok?

David Beckham was a great football player. But now he's nothing and we're supposed to look upto him.

ReputationRep:
    Thats alright then, loads of people do drugs and kill people, is that ok?

David Beckham was a great football player. But now he's nothing and we're supposed to look upto him.
    I didn't say it was okay, I'm just saying loads of people do it. He is hardly nothing. He will most likely be in the England team next year for the World Cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Well personally I wouldn't call those people good role models.
    Neither would I, but for what he achieved on the pitch I do.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I don't hate my generation or anything, but I hate that you can't go anywhere with friends without there being a massive photoshoot. Don't get me wrong I love photographs and being with friends, capturing memories and all that, but since when was shopping in Primark an excuse to bring out the camera? lol

I do like clubbin though, and getting pissed and dancing the night away with the girlies, that's my idea of fun, but I hate that the next day there is a load of pictures of me off my tits looking awful, and then the person who took the photo conveniently posed, looking perfect with the smile they do in every photo! grrrrrrrrr! And effing facebook and twitter can eff off n all!

Sorry, rant over. I feel better now

ReputationRep:
    i do agree with OP.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't get it. I think I never did. A lot of people complain about how other people behave and say stuff like it was better when... blah blah blah... SO WHAT? Cant you listen to the music of the time you like? Cant you be friends with people you don't hate and ignore the rest? There's always been unfairness and stupidity in the world. Grow up and deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miglash)
    Well, I don't get it. I think I never did. A lot of people complain about how other people behave and say stuff like it was better when... blah blah blah... SO WHAT? Cant you listen to the music of the time you like? Cant you be friends with people you don't hate and ignore the rest? There's always been unfairness and stupidity in the world. Grow up and deal with it.
    The popular "fashions", be it in music or behaviour, will, by definition, dominate. You can't go to a club that won't play popular music. It'll be either dreadful indie, cringeworthy current "pop", or truly embarassing RnB/hip-hop. You can listen to the music of the period you like, but you won't find a place to listen to it with other people, to drink and dance whilst listening. Not in most towns. London is the obvious exception, as there are venues to cater for every niche, but in the vast majority of places the music will be whatever's fashionable.

Again with the friends thing, the fact of the matter is, it's much harder to find friends with similar interests if there aren't many around. If you don't want to be friends with those who follow contemporary fashion, you'll struggle to find friends. Again, by definition, those who do what's fashionable will dominate. It's no fun being around people when you feel nothing but contempt and resentment for them and what they stand for. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say it was okay, I'm just saying loads of people do it. He is hardly nothing. He will most likely be in the England team next year for the World Cup.
    now that he isnt playing for milan, i really doubt it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameeso)
    now that he isnt playing for milan, i really doubt it
    He'll no doubt get a loan move again though.

ReputationRep:
    He'll no doubt get a loan move again though.
    hope he does. AC need him, and he needs to get capello's attention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    The popular "fashions", be it in music or behaviour, will, by definition, dominate. You can't go to a club that won't play popular music. It'll be either dreadful indie, cringeworthy current "pop", or truly embarassing RnB/hip-hop. You can listen to the music of the period you like, but you won't find a place to listen to it with other people, to drink and dance whilst listening. Not in most towns. London is the obvious exception, as there are venues to cater for every niche, but in the vast majority of places the music will be whatever's fashionable.

Again with the friends thing, the fact of the matter is, it's much harder to find friends with similar interests if there aren't many around. If you don't want to be friends with those who follow contemporary fashion, you'll struggle to find friends. Again, by definition, those who do what's fashionable will dominate. It's no fun being around people when you feel nothing but contempt and resentment for them and what they stand for. :pierre:
    That's why I said you have to learn to deal with it. It's not likely to change very soon or, even more probable, ever. The majority of people does not have much in the IQ department, therefore they will always "like" what is offered and presented as the best at the moment. Though, would you not agree that complaining about it and pitying yourself for having to live with these people is stupid? You just make it worse by constantly reminding yourself how you don't like everything. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miglash)
    That's why I said you have to learn to deal with it. It's not likely to change very soon or, even more probable, ever. The majority of people does not have much in the IQ department, therefore they will always "like" what is offered and presented as the best at the moment. Though, would you not agree that complaining about it and pitying yourself for having to live with these people is stupid? You just make it worse by constantly reminding yourself how you don't like everything. :mad:
    Not true. What was "cool" in the 80s was actually good. :pierre:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.