Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    I call myself an anarchist on this forum because it's hilarious watching the reactions. I hold some anarchist beliefs - that is, the political ideology, not the tabloid use of the term "anarchy".

Which beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Which beliefs?
    If you want, you can search for some of my previous posts. I've explained this a thousand times before.

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware that I'm a bit late on this, and it's probably been said already, but...

"Indie is supposed to mean individual"?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLLZZZZZZ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    I feel your pain. Regarding music, I tend to find bands I like (eg. Bayside) who most of my friends don't even know exist and find similar artists and go from there. I don't care what other people/the radio says, I listen to what I like - old or new.

The camera thing is a shocker and I've also noticed it. People are so fake, it's as if they feel they have to be seen to be going to social events because that will make them look more 'cool'. I go to plenty of social functions with my mates yet I have about 2 photos on facebook whereas some of my mates will go round purposely trying to get in pictures, I know their games.

ReputationRep:
    If you want, you can search for some of my previous posts. I've explained this a thousand times before.

Can't you remember them?

ReputationRep:
    I hate it too. They had Monty Python, the Beatles and Pink Floyd. We have ******* Little Britain, Leona Lewis and Soulja Boy. Don't you just love the noughties???

I wish I was in the 70s I feel a lot of items on television portray generation Y (born in late 80s/early 90s, is it not?) as dumbed down and contrived even though there are many exceptions. They call us the "myspace generation" and comment on saying "like" every second when of course there are a lot of kids who behave like that but a lot of us respect and enjoy older media.

ReputationRep:
    The thing about current music being **** compared to previous decades is complete nonsense. Maybe if you searched beyond Radio 1 you'd realise how much good music is being made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Can't you remember them?
    No, that's right, I've forgotton completely.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you want to find people with substance and ignore the brainless masses.
    best first post ever.

ReputationRep:
    Thats alright then, loads of people do drugs and kill people, is that ok?

David Beckham was a great football player. But now he's nothing and we're supposed to look upto him.
    Was? He still plays football...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    The thing about current music being **** compared to previous decades is complete nonsense. Maybe if you searched beyond Radio 1 you'd realise how much good music is being made.
    Examples? And PLEASEE don't list something that completely relies on the singer and lyrics where the rest of the "band" plays whole notes with or some impossible simple melody that hardly qualifies as a melody!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0obrighteyeso0)
    You can only judge a generation on what it's remembered by, not what has been cool for the last 6 weeks. Many people who grew up in the 80s hated it at the time, so did people in the 70s.There have always been stupid people. We are not the first or the last generation to have dumb teenagers that think we're cool.

As for fashion being terrible, of course it is. You think skinny jeans are the worst fashion faux pas in history? Shell suits anyone? Just enjoy laughing at it while it lasts, nobody says you have to dress like you've just been cast in Skins.

One day you're going to be old so congratulations on completely failing to enjoy your youth while you have it, in all it's ridiculousness, stupidity, colour and brilliance.

Stop sitting around being bitter, go out and make something of your youth before you're old and nobody gives crap what you say.
    +1 rep for everything you said. Excellent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BumperBo)
    Examples? And PLEASEE don't list something that completely relies on the singer and lyrics where the rest of the "band" plays whole notes with or some impossible simple melody that hardly qualifies as a melody!

Eh? What kind of music do you like?

ReputationRep:
    Oh do **** off

I'm not miserable, I have many friends and I'm a sociable and happy person. I just get annoyed when I notice how f****d we are. Don't hate somone because they think differenty.

(you're a Man Utd fan, I can't say I'm surprised by your arrogance)
    I dislike you because every thread you've made on this forum has just been one long moan after another, seriously if you didn't have such a negative outlook you would probably get more out of life

I ******* love this generation and revel in its hedonism, get the **** over it

ReputationRep:
    Erm, you clearly took one look at the avatar and trundled off with your own misconception. You probably think "anarchy" equates to "rioting and burning things, violence and all that" right?

And I don't follow philosophers, I follow my own logical reasoning which comes from a variety of life experiences. Following one man's teachings is just silly.
    I follow philosophers and judge their ideas for myself. The greatest philosophers are famous because they were brilliant and insightful. Not to put you or anyone down but what makes you think you're so much smarter than Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, etc?

Some philosophers (Nietzsche :yucky:) deserve to be ignored, but learning what they have to say can give you ideas of what you really believe.

ReputationRep:
    Thats alright then, loads of people do drugs and kill people, is that ok?

David Beckham was a great football player. But now he's nothing and we're supposed to look upto him.
    Oh dear. Why are you trying to compare drugs and murder to an affair. Nobody is perfect and some affairs are caused by understandable reasons. Im 17 and i feel the same way about my generation but I have slightly different reasons. My disgust is more in our species and how we believe everything to have more meaning that it actually does, linking to the fact that everyone has a selfish side and in particular our generation treat each other and others like pure ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Eh? What kind of music do you like?
    I'm a fan of music, not any particular genre or band. I'm just sick of people my age saying that "Handlebars" by the Flobots or "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon are good songs because all they listen to are lyrics and the singer...
    Of course having a good singer is necessary but there's WAY too much emphasis on it. I have to try really hard to actually HEAR the bass in most songs since the singer's volume is turned so high up comparatively!

I mean, funny bands like Bloodhound Gang are ok because the focus isn't as on the music as it's on the comedy/shock value/whatever.
    But bands like the Beastie Boys disgust me since they're mostly just screaming to go wild and hardly have any music in them (haven't heard a LOT of them but "Brass Monkey" "Fight for Your Right to Party" and "So Whatcha Want" are the three worst songs I've ever heard and they're all by the same band!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fan of music, not any particular genre or band. I'm just sick of people my age saying that "Handlebars" by the Flobots or "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon are good songs because all they listen to are lyrics and the singer...
    Of course having a good singer is necessary but there's WAY too much emphasis on it. I have to try really hard to actually HEAR the bass in most songs since the singer's volume is turned so high up comparatively!

I mean, funny bands like Bloodhound Gang are ok because the focus isn't as on the music as it's on the comedy/shock value/whatever.
    But bands like the Beastie Boys disgust me since they're mostly just screaming to go wild and hardly have any music in them (haven't heard a LOT of them but "Brass Monkey" "Fight for Your Right to Party" and "So Whatcha Want" are the three worst songs I've ever heard and they're all by the same band!)
    Right. Music doesn't have to have technical melodies and complicated structures to be good. Sometimes all you want is something to make you scream and go wild.

There's lots and lots and lots of good music out there at the moment, but if you only want to listen to things with serious "musical" merit, which I find hard to quantify but I know what you're trying to say, then... I don't know. Off the top of my head, have you listened to Gulag Orkestar by Beirut? Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor?

ReputationRep:
    No, that's right, I've forgotton completely.

Ahh i see. Anything to avoid actually having to talk about Anarchism, which of course would expose you as nothing but a fake, a poser... a joke.

ReputationRep:
    I follow philosophers and judge their ideas for myself. The greatest philosophers are famous because they were brilliant and insightful. Not to put you or anyone down but what makes you think you're so much smarter than Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, etc?

Some philosophers (Nietzsche :yucky:) deserve to be ignored, but learning what they have to say can give you ideas of what you really believe.
    There's a lot of philosophers out there... I've read up on some, but you have to remember most of their ideas were contextual.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.