Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Which bits?
    Haha, trying to test me? Get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Oh no wait i have just found one and... yes it backs up my first impression of you which is that you do not have a clue what you are going on about.

You want Libdems to be more Liberal and left wing :lolwut:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=445188&page=4
    Socially liberal and economically left, perhaps? I see nothing absurd in that. If one were using "liberalism" in the sense of economic liberalism, then left-wing economic policies would indeed be incompatible with liberalism. But this is only an absurdity if you assume that left-wing economic policies are of necessity socially illiberal (i.e. if you believe in property rights, or that "economic freedom" consists in laissez-faire capitalist economic policy.)

anarchism IS socially liberal and economically left (when you don't assume that being "economically left" of necessity involves state intervention in the economy because of course there will be no state.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    yeah it is just you

50 years ago you would've been locked up and put in a "mental home" for the rest of your life if you'd have been thought to be homosexual. The disabled were regularly abused and had little rights, there was less equality and the baby boom produced a load of ****** kids that would grow up to give birth to the current generation....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    Oh yes well ofcourse there's always going to be rebellion against the mainstream ways but back then things were better. I look at the youth today and I don't hate it, but I can see the pretentiousness and lack of respect. Back in the 60's the kids had parents and good people as role models, not some slapper on Big Brother. Kids used to want to be policeman, firemen and footballers, now they want to be famous.

It's much more difficult to be a kid in today society and this is due to shows like Skins (like it or not you can't deny this)

Please Youtube ''stewart lee skins'' and watch that video. The media today has a negative effect on us and to deny that is stupid.
    Wouldn't it be right to say though that shows like 'Skins' didn't just appear from thin air. They were based around young people who were already living life in a similar way. Also E4 pride themselves on having a lot of young people contribute towards 'Skins'. The show is not the problem some people have always lived life like Skins, the show just made it more mainstream.

A point to prove this is, when I was 16 years old (Probably starting from 14 up) a large number of people my age would hang out at the beach every weekend smoking pot, cig's and drinking what ever we could find. Everyone their was aged between 14 - 18 years old, their was a lot of underage sex and drug taking. I myself only partook in the drinking, however looking back on it now it was pretty immense for people that age.

I'm 21 now. So that was 5 years ago this happened. Long before Skins was on the scene.

Edit: Watched that Stewart Lee Video. Do you really think those television show in the 70's truly depicted teenage life? Pah. One thing about Skins is that although it's an emphasis on teenage life, it isn't afraid to show what alot of teenagers really are up to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AprilMay88)
    Wouldn't it be right to say though that shows like 'Skins' didn't just appear from thin air. They were based around young people who were already living life in a similar way. Also E4 pride themselves on having a lot of young people contribute towards 'Skins'. The show is not the problem some people have always lived life like Skins, the show just made it more mainstream.
    I think that's the problem. The habits of a relative few were portrayed on television, and the mainstream decided they wanted to emulate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    David Beckham is a brilliant role-model, he grew up in Leytonstone and made it big. I live near Leytonstone and it is a rough area so he did really well.
    repping ma ends :danceboy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.