Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Your just growing up. I find myself with similar opinions to your OP

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, these have pretty much been my sentiments for a while. I've never been to the UK, but I'm gonna go on ahead and say that US culture is worse.

ReputationRep:
    Did you watch 'The Death of Respect' OP? I agree that in general this generation is crude, inconsiderate and ungrateful but there are exceptions (like the people on TSR )

ReputationRep:
    You hate indie music because your definition of it is WRONG leading you to think it's hypocritical. Indie stands for 'Independant' NOT 'Individual'. It's a term used for bands that came up from smaller labels, although the definition has changed a little over time.

I agree to some extent, but we're not all dicks like you make out though. You seem determined that indie music is **** and people who listen to it are part of the 'problem' - I love indie music, but at the same time my fav band is Queen and I like 70s/80s/90s music just as much as today's acts, if not more. Everyone has different music tastes, some people will like chav rap.. you're just going to have to live with it. The world would be boring if everything were perfect. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find youths that act like characters from Skins too. Don't hate the players, hate the game.

ReputationRep:
    OP I couldn't agree more - it just seems people are going out to have pictures on facebook. It's ridiculous. I find myself untagging myself most of the time on facebook - because family members are starting to think I'm pete docherty or something. Sometimes memories are best left in peoples minds.

Secondly I'm so sick of the vocabulary nowadays - it's either two sort: rudeboy talk which is slowly taking over society and is now official in places of retail. Or this wannabe 'rah' talk, e.g - saying: "basically", "literally" or "the thing is, yeah". I've had both sorts ring me up at work, trying to sell me stuff or as such (young trainees to the job) and I simply tell them to tell their manager to ring me instead, because I have no time communicating with someone so unprofesional.

Thirdly, this 'text messeage' culture. Forget about even mentioning the pathetic 'txt spk' but just the fact that sometimes if you don't reply to a text to someone in the space of five minutes, they'll text you back with "hello?!" - like I'm sat next to the phone. Well here's some news, I'm driving and it's illegal to text whilst I'm doing so.

Lastly, and this is going to enrage a few: the fashion. Let's all dress up like we are from the 80's with nutjob hairstyles and also walk around in skinny jeans and then five years down the road look at pictures and say to ourselves "Hah! What was I thinking?" when put simple, you know exactly what you look like now.

ReputationRep:
    You can be bitter about it all you want but that won't change the way some people act, just try and stay away from these kinds of people you hate so much and find friends who don't do those things. Why not trying looking to make older friends if you think it's just a problem with people your age?

ReputationRep:
    ....who has ever referred to Amy Winehouse as a role model?

ReputationRep:
    I find these issues aswell with people my age in perticular, alot of my friends are three or four years older than I am, most of the people I come into contact my age I usually find really immature or annoying to be around, in other words utter goons. York College is where all the goons congregate in this city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooljack)
    I find these issues aswell with people my age in perticular, alot of my friends are three or four years older than I am, most of the people I come into contact my age I usually find really immature or annoying to be around, in other words utter goons. York College is where all the goons congregate in this city.
    And yet, you use the word goon.

ReputationRep:
    dont u think u are over reacting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    I agree with you, our generation is terribly shallow.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everything the OP says.

ReputationRep:
    I hate that the current iddols are an analphabets and a junkies!!!

No, it's not just you. I'm stuck in 1981.

ReputationRep:
    I despise the female clones. They depress me.

But yes OP, some good points.

ReputationRep:
    You can only judge a generation on what it's remembered by, not what has been cool for the last 6 weeks. Many people who grew up in the 80s hated it at the time, so did people in the 70s.There have always been stupid people. We are not the first or the last generation to have dumb teenagers that think we're cool.

As for fashion being terrible, of course it is. You think skinny jeans are the worst fashion faux pas in history? Shell suits anyone? Just enjoy laughing at it while it lasts, nobody says you have to dress like you've just been cast in Skins.

One day you're going to be old so congratulations on completely failing to enjoy your youth while you have it, in all it's ridiculousness, stupidity, colour and brilliance.

Stop sitting around being bitter, go out and make something of your youth before you're old and nobody gives crap what you say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    And yet, you use the word goon.
    whats your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    Additionally, at least the Skins generation kids are making it their own, silly as it is.

I do completely agree about the camera thing though. Leave it at home, my night out is not your facebook morning.

ReputationRep:
    I feel very similar.

ReputationRep:
    meh, I don't make friends with 'fake' people so I don't tend to deal with them.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.