Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I guess us TSR folk just don't fit in

ReputationRep:
    i dont 'hate' my generation but i do see your criticisms. I loathe the hyperbolic anti youth press coverage about knoves etc but it we actually look at young people today's attitudes, rather than nonsense about supposedly all being criminals, then yes i do get very irritated. skins etc is the perfect example....it's good as a comedy/drama it's well written but soo many of our age (even people in early 20s at uni....ffs these people are well into adulthood!!!) actually aspire to be like that....confusing it with reality. alcohol seems to be our generation's god and the huge vacuousness of the generation is startling....about three quarters of young people are totally vacuous. it's embarrassing i think. i have mates who are cool but that's cos i am only friends with people who arent idiots....most young people just. are!

the camara thing is the single most irritating. i've been going to parties since i was 12 and it's only been since everyone got facebook a couple of years back that camaras have started appearing in front of me every time someone ''OMFG LOLZ HE IS HAVIN VODKA THAT IS SOO ******* COOL, OMG PUT IT ON FB!111!!!!!!11'' and then take the pic about 11 times and tag him in EVERY single one of fb. i would say it was their business.....but when photos are being taken at a house party at the rate of about 20 per minute for every room of the house it starts to piss me off. the camaras also make people act like idiots.

i just hope we can grow up for the sake of the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    No its not just you, I see this as well!

ReputationRep:
    ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.
    No it isn't.

'Indie' used to mean 'independant'. As in artists who release their music through an independant record label.

Edit - Apparently beaten to it. But thanks for the grossly generic rant OP.

ReputationRep:
    Gen Y annoys the **** out of me seriously, people just expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter.

I saw on the news the other night these two women complaining that they desperately needed jobs but no one would hire them. Then when asked if they would work in a retail position they acted as if it was soooo beneath them.

Oh and people who finish uni and automatically expect jobs just because they've had higher education really annoy me too. The only reason I have a job secured for when I finish uni is because I applied for multiple scholarships and worked all of my summer holidays

Harden the **** up and work for what you want for a change.

/rant

ReputationRep:
    It's a tragedy isn't it? :nopity: :cry:

I only start hating my generation when I look around TSR. Never seen a site with so many endless disappointments.

Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. But it's not just this generation, it's the whole country in general that's going to hell in a handbasket.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, no one understands me, sigh. Why not just get on with whatever you want to do rather than moaning about how everyone else is rubbish?

Indie is short for independent, not individual.

I actually don't listen to the radio so I have no idea what bands they play or what Jo Whiley thinks about Facebook.

NME sucks... So don't read it. Complaining about the NME is so 2005. :moon:

To be honest you sound like you get off on finding things to be irritated about so you can feel different from everyone else. Well, awesome for you, have a nice day yeah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Sigh, no one understands me, sigh. Why not just get on with whatever you want to do rather than moaning about how everyone else is rubbish?

Indie is short for independent, not individual.

I actually don't listen to the radio so I have no idea what bands they play or what Jo Whiley thinks about Facebook.

NME sucks... So don't read it. Complaining about the NME is so 2005. :moon:

To be honest you sound like you get off on finding things to be irritated about so you can feel different from everyone else. Well, awesome for you, have a nice day yeah?

Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with you on the music thing. I don't hate this generation, but I can say it is pretty screwed up. Ah well what can you do?!

As for the role model thing I agree. Where the hell have all the inspirational people gone? Isn't there an MLK or Mother Theresa of our generation?? -.-

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but what generation do you like?

As I'm pretty sure the only thing that has really changed has been technology and science.

P.S. Put down your copy of the daily mail.

(Original post by InkFromMyPen)
    As for the role model thing I agree. Where the hell have all the inspirational people gone? Isn't there an MLK or Mother Theresa of our generation?? -.-
    Mother Theresa was a pretty nasty person. Having a role model is for children. Thats probably the root cause of the ills of society i.e. a generation of
    spoon-fed children that need to be guided.

We have loads of good bands.

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily hate it, but yeah there's lots of **** around these days, including useless celebs like Paris Hilton, the reality show craze (big brother etc) and artists like Soulja boy.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it's just skins trying to be cool. hollyoaks, t4, big brother etc. is channel 4 aimed at anyone else?

twitter to me = facebook status page. reading people's facebook status' / twitter annoy me. i don't care if you're drunk, tired, failed an exam, hate the rain, going on holiday or your current mood etc. i'm sure the majority of your friends on facebook don't care either. it's just an unnecessary. i say it's worse than photo tagging because most of the time, it's so uninteresting to hear someone's status and be cool at the same time and think they're the most popular person.

however, i don't think there is much wrong with david beckham as a role model.

ReputationRep:
    If you hate facebook, don't use it. Just a suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    We have loads of good bands.
    We do.

Also, the 80s had loads of really, really terrible bands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinnygar)
    OP I couldn't agree more - it just seems people are going out to have pictures on facebook. It's ridiculous. I find myself untagging myself most of the time on facebook - because family members are starting to think I'm pete docherty or something. Sometimes memories are best left in peoples minds.

Secondly I'm so sick of the vocabulary nowadays - it's either two sort: rudeboy talk which is slowly taking over society and is now official in places of retail. Or this wannabe 'rah' talk, e.g - saying: "basically", "literally" or "the thing is, yeah". I've had both sorts ring me up at work, trying to sell me stuff or as such (young trainees to the job) and I simply tell them to tell their manager to ring me instead, because I have no time communicating with someone so unprofesional.

Thirdly, this 'text messeage' culture. Forget about even mentioning the pathetic 'txt spk' but just the fact that sometimes if you don't reply to a text to someone in the space of five minutes, they'll text you back with "hello?!" - like I'm sat next to the phone. Well here's some news, I'm driving and it's illegal to text whilst I'm doing so.

Lastly, and this is going to enrage a few: the fashion. Let's all dress up like we are from the 80's with nutjob hairstyles and also walk around in skinny jeans and then five years down the road look at pictures and say to ourselves "Hah! What was I thinking?" when put simple, you know exactly what you look like now.
    The man speaks the truth :rofl:

(Original post by 0obrighteyeso0)
    Also, the 80s had loads of really, really terrible bands.
    Well, I like New Wave. Depeche Mode, Devo,... revolutionised music.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    You're right. I'm 28 now, so glad I was young in the cool times. Yoof of today are shallow.

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank goodness!!
    I totally agree there are way too many bland sheeple these days, people aren't unique or individual anymore and it's BORING!!
    However, how many varieties of person can you get when the world is centered around tinternet? It's all about rotting brains and a lack o creativity (I even admit to this sometimes)
    Good topic, OP

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.