Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OP, you need to get laaaaaaaaid bro !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Lily Allen

David Beckham is a brilliant role-model, he grew up in Leytonstone and made it big. I live near Leytonstone and it is a rough area so he did really well.

I think you just sound a bit old in all honesty.
    One of the numpties the OP was talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    I agree. But it's not just this generation, it's the whole country in general that's going to hell in a handbasket.
    It's media obsession gone mad. You just couldn't make this generation up....

A lot of it is the result of 'instant everything'. And in terms of music we're suffering from trying to compare to the 60s, 70s and 80s. There are few decades in the history of the world which were that cool!

ReputationRep:
    Also I find it really funny that loads of people from my year aspire to be like that Cook guy from Skins series 3, so much so that they've taken the facebook quiz 'Which Skins character are you?' got the result 'Cook' and displayed it proudly on their page! I mean, he comes across as such a knob in that programme...look at his face, it's so punchable:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    One of the numpties the OP was talking about.
    No, I was just telling them how you spell her name. I don't care for Lily Allen, I think she is a nasty chav.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever.
    It is entirely your fault for not finding the correct hero's, perhaps you won't find it in mainstream but if you do want to make a difference you'll have to make more than wait and complain about NME. You have no excuse for not finding quality music and any other kind of art in the internet-era.

ReputationRep:
    Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.
    Well that's horribly ignorant my friend, maybe the mainstream music industry is appauling (well there is no maybe about it) but the genres of rock and metal atleast are thriving. And let me tell you this, pretty much everyone who listens and are involved in this genre of music will tell you the class bands are not going to ever be bettered. Indie will die out soon enough so its all good. This generation is no good if you like music of rock and metal of genres because very little unique talent is getting through to the mainstream, but luckily despite missing the very best decades for music many of the bands and their influences are still around.

ReputationRep:
    you remind me of holden caulfield. really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PauloG.)
    It is entirely your fault for not finding the correct hero's, perhaps you won't find it in mainstream but if you do want to make a difference you'll have to make more than wait and complain about NME. You have no excuse for not finding quality music and any other kind of art in the internet-era.
    Very true.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    Firstly Jo Whiley is being replaced by Fern Cotton, HAPPY NOW?! I know who I'd rather listen to, not the latter. Also it's her job to play new music, this isn't Magic FM or BBC Radio 2!

Secondly Indie means Independent actually, not Individual. It means that they are not assigned to a major record label. Some of these 'indie' bands are evidently manufactured, but it you do look around properly you'll find some decent bands.

Thirdly, I agree with you (at last) posing with beer bottles that probably weren't even theres or a bottle of WKD just for facebook is a bit sad and everyone knows that.

I'd say I hate the media's representation of our generation, but in terms of reality, I think our generation are the most informed of any generation ever thanks to the internet. Everything else ... well *iiam* We're fine, just enjoy yourself!

x

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree OP, back to the good old 20's I say old chap :hat:

ReputationRep:
    You have no excuse for not finding quality music and any other kind of art in the internet-era.
    What about licensed premises that will play quality music? :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    What about licensed premises that will play quality music? :pierre:
    What does that got to do with it? Thing is you can listen to quality music what you want, one way or another. It depends on what you consider quality music though.

ReputationRep:
    Thats alright then, loads of people do drugs and kill people, is that ok?

David Beckham was a great football player. But now he's nothing and we're supposed to look upto him.
    I seem to recall you going on about how drugs should be legalised a while back. Also, those bands you're talking about from the 60s/70s... they were all off their faces on drugs all the time. Were they good role models...really? Who can actually call the Jimmy Hendrex or whatever a good role model? Get real.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've OD'd on the Daily Mail and/or have spent too much time with old 'the young of today are no good' type people OP. We're not all like that: in fact, I know more people who aren't like that than who are. You sound a bit up yourself tbh, like you're trying to be superior and take the moral highground.

I'm sorry, maybe it's just me.

ReputationRep:
    You are not alone OP.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all of your points. I reckon we need some sort of ethnic cleansing

ReputationRep:
    What does that got to do with it? Thing is you can listen to quality music what you want, one way or another. It depends on what you consider quality music though.
    Well, no. No, not really. Clubs/bars will only play popular music, which is complete and utter sh*te 99% of the time. If I want to go to a club or bar which plays music I like - tough ***. This is a problem, caused by most people having an awful taste in music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaytwizzle1000)
    I agree with all of your points. I reckon we need some sort of ethnic cleansing
    Um, why? Since when were ethnic minorities to blame for facebook photos and David Beckham? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Edit..never mind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.