Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Off topic, but I thought indie was short for independent? :confused:
    I can't keep up with the modern lingo these days.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that fashion is awful today; give me the '70s look any day!

Honestly though, I prefer trackies/trainers/hoodies over the morons you see wearing skinny-jeans/converse shoes and so on and lads with straigtened dyed hair, probably wearing some sickening belt and a hideous top. They look like odious little freaks out of a Tim Burton flick and I want them all shot dead. They probably speak with some fake, forced and entirely deliberate drawl as well, and try their hardest to use 'cool' new words like 'epic', 'random' and 'fail' (yes, I know they're old words but they use them in an annoying context). Again, I want the lot to be sent to an execution camp. Irritating little *******s.

Oh, and yes; music in the '60s and '70s was much richer than that offered today. Anybody who says different needs to be strapped in public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Loads of people have affairs and I mean loads.

Lots of people have piles....doesn't mean it's pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    I agree that fashion is awful today; give me the '70s look any day!

Honestly though, I prefer trackies/trainers/hoodies over the morons you see wearing skinny-jeans/converse shoes and so on and lads with straigtened dyed hair, probably wearing some sickening belt and a hideous top. They look like odious little freaks out of a Tim Burton flick and I want them all shot dead. They probably speak with some fake, forced and entirely deliberate drawl as well, and try their hardest to use 'cool' new words like 'epic', 'random' and 'fail' (yes, I know they're old words but they use them in an annoying context). Again, I want the lot to be sent to an execution camp. Irritating little *******s.

Oh, and yes; music in the '60s and '70s was much richer than that offered today. Anybody who says different needs to be strapped in public.
    :yes:

:love: bob dylan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Off topic, but I thought indie was short for independent? :confused:
    I can't keep up with the modern lingo these days.
    Yeah tis....

p.s. sorry I'm spamming this thread I can't be arsed to do the copy and pasting required to reply to several people in one message.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same as the OP sometimes. But it needs to be remembered that frustration exists no matter what generation you come from - there is probably no real 'golden age'.

ReputationRep:
    People will understand the point of the OP if they watched that documentary called The Death Of Respect, broacasted last Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    could not agree with you more.
    i have been saying this for years now. although indie actually means "independant" not individual. However independant refers to independant record labels, and i'm pretty sure the likes of razorlight, pigeon detectives and other generic "indie" bands are signed with major labels.
    Although, there is some good music nowadys, you just have to look for it. its difficult to find (as its not shown in any way by mainstream media) but its good
    i also despise the likes of topman, river island etc. I'm not sure on the situation for girls clothing (although i see many girls dressed pretty much alike) but for lads it seems like every single high street shop is just topman with slightly different price-ranges.:woo:
    rant over

ReputationRep:
    You sound angsty and teenage thus become a communist/anarchist. You'll be in good company

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony12345)
    d (as its not shown in any way by mainstream media) but its good
    i also despise the likes of topman, river island etc. I'm not sure on the situation for girls clothing (although i see many girls dressed pretty much alike) but for lads it seems like every single high street shop is just topman with slightly different price-ranges.:woo:
    rant over
    You think? I find if I just look around for 5-10 mins in a shop I can find something a bit different, maybe an item other people wear but wear it in a different way. Rather than going with the boring jeans+tshirt like EVERY guy just defaults to

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree.

I despise most of the music that teenagers of this generation listen to, especially some indie bands (I swear to God they all sound alike). But I think the most point I'm glad you brought up is the one about cameras - It's getting ridiculous. I don't understand why anyone would need a picture of me on a Sunday morning when I'm in the middle of lunch break trying to fight to keep my eyes open. It just doesn't make sense to me. Cameras on special occasions are definitely acceptable, but to carry one around with you just in case someone sneezes or coughs is absolutely ludicrous.

I'm strictly anti-Twitter and anti-Myspace and all those networks. I recently added a wall back to my Facebook account because I have a lot of camp friends (and family abroad) that I need to keep in touch with, but I refuse to socialize with people I see everyday over the internet. It's useless.

I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    Indie? I thought it meant 'independant?' Oh, well.

Yes, our generation are crap. But there's little we can do about it in practice, so we might as well get on with our lives.

Yeah, today's music, especialy, is crap. That said, I do rather like Amy Winehouse; she's got a surprizingly good voice. But no, I wouldn't consider her a role model.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP's skins comment about how people see how they act and then want to emulate; ain't so much fun when you're inadvertently living through things which are similar or worse. They should be happy the way the are which is the way those characters aren't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 but I feel old.

Nah you're wrong about Beckham, yeah he made it big from nothing, so what? He also had an affair.
    If thats you in that mini picture then you also look old. And balding.

Why dont you just chill out and go with it, you might even have fun. I hate people that over analyse and dont know how to have a good time. I just let go, make the most of it and have an amazing time, every time=]

ReputationRep:
    ... Well I quite like our generation actually. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Not for one second should you think it isn't their fault

ReputationRep:
    There are tons who like trashy stuff and have narrow, inflexible thought processes. Are YOU really any different, though? Everyone, including myself, should ask themselves this. Why are YOU not trashy, how are you unique and open minded?
    The generation model does not define individual personalities. It more or less defines what people are likely to have grown up with, the new, cutting edge things which youngsters are quick to adopt.

Heh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    If thats you in that mini picture then you also look old. And balding.

Why dont you just chill out and go with it, you might even have fun. I hate people that over analyse and dont know how to have a good time. I just let go, make the most of it and have an amazing time, every time=]
    That's Karl Pilkington

ReputationRep:
    That's Karl Pilkington
    Hahaha, ooppss.
    But serious, the rest of what I said:yes:

Oh, and if you have a little look im sure you'll find many different types of music that cater to everyones tastes, even yours=O.
    Theres **** in every era anyways.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.