Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.
    It's independent music as pointed out by quite a few other people.I couldn't agree more though about what you say about people following trends for the sake of it however - it's pathetic how people think they are cool by doing things like that , when in fact the opposite is true.The only thing though is that you mustn't become too cynical and prejudiced against people , they may follow superficial trends but hatred is uncalled for.

I agree also that pop music is pretty bad as well these days , they crush the dynamic range on a lot of CDs to make things sound louder and less well defined.They then post-process things to overkill adding so many silly effects it's untrue.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    The irony is that FB is actually a decent site for networking and well designed for it's purpose of sharing notes with people.It's pathetic really how quite a few just aim to be "tagged" in horrendously composed and exposeds image and not actually want a good pic of themselves .Doesn't matter if it's in a club toilet to some as well!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with some of this. I prefer solo artists rather than bands, but if a band creates good music then it's all good. And also agreed about the camera thing. They don't seem chilled or to be enjoying themselves that much.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

Can't agree more, OP :rolleyes:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15231_7-reasons-21st-century-making-you-miserable.html

Like what that site says, I think what we should really do is to turn off our computers and get out there and start talking to people face to face... people are getting more and more intolerant of each other and losing rapport for each other because what we do now is stick our heads in front of our monitor and talk to a screen.

And in terms of music.... BACK TO CLASSICAL (mozart, bach, etc.) :p:

no seriously, if these things could survive for 400 years, it means that it must be pretty good stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    Hahaha, ooppss.
    But serious, the rest of what I said:yes:

Oh, and if you have a little look im sure you'll find many different types of music that cater to everyones tastes, even yours=O.
    Theres **** in every era anyways.
    There are some great modern bands, but not enough.

My favourite band are The Killers, now you can think what you want about them but they are THE best band of our generation. I also like The Gaslight Anthem and Vampire Weekend.

But during the 90's and onwards we've not had anyone special, you can say Nirvana but they are overhyped because of Kurt Cobains death. I agree every generation has **** music, but ours has had the most.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 but I feel old.

Nah you're wrong about Beckham, yeah he made it big from nothing, so what? He also had an affair.
    So did Martin Luther King. But I got over it.
    Imo the good outweighed the bad...

ReputationRep:
    The obvious reason why people bring cameras to parties now so much is because they're ridiculously abundant, simple and cheap now. A decade ago you'd be using disposable film (which costed), a bulky ugly camera, no easy way to print, and no decent ways of showing them to your friends.

Digital cameras make the whole process easier. And, Facebook is no different to the Photo albums of yesterday, except in the major regard that they're visable 24/7 to anyone with permission to view them (or the direct links to the images)

Perhaps some people want to increase their Facebook photo count, but, I suspect most people do it because a lot of people love having their photo taken. They always have. Think back to the days of hanging your hand-painted portrait of yourself above your wood fireplace in your castle. You know, if you were a 16th century baron at any point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zephyranthus)
    Can't agree more, OP :rolleyes:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15231_7-reasons-21st-century-making-you-miserable.html

Like what that site says, I think what we should really do is to turn off our computers and get out there and start talking to people face to face... people are getting more and more intolerant of each other and losing rapport for each other because what we do now is stick our heads in front of our monitor and talk to a screen.

And in terms of music.... BACK TO CLASSICAL (mozart, bach, etc.) :p:

no seriously, if these things could survive for 400 years, it means that it must be pretty good stuff
    And classical will probably last another 400 years and the music of today won't. Choose to listen to classical and not current music then, who cares, but moaning about it doesn't really help the situation. That music will die out, only the decent stuff will survive. That's how it is, doesn't mean we should complain about the crap stuff. I'm pretty sure there was also crappy music 400 years ago...only we wouldn't know as it failed and died.

Also I lol'd at how you said we should go talk to people face to face and gtfo sitting behind our computer screens, yet, clearly you're on TSR....

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has already been said but Indie actually stands for independant as in independant record lable not individual. But i do agree with the majority of your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clintonio)
    The obvious reason why people bring cameras to parties now so much is because they're ridiculously abundant, simple and cheap now. A decade ago you'd be using disposable film (which costed), a bulky ugly camera, no easy way to print, and no decent ways of showing them to your friends.

Digital cameras make the whole process easier. And, Facebook is no different to the Photo albums of yesterday, except in the major regard that they're visable 24/7 to anyone with permission to view them (or the direct links to the images)

Perhaps some people want to increase their Facebook photo count, but, I suspect most people do it because a lot of people love having their photo taken. They always have. Think back to the days of hanging your hand-painted portrait of yourself above your wood fireplace in your castle. You know, if you were a 16th century baron at any point.
    I agree. I like the fact that I'll be able to show my kids and grandchildren photos of my life from when I was younger. It upsets me a bit that my parents have got very very few from their youth. And the reason was because it was so much hassle, money, time consuming to take just a single photo!
    I think the OP just has a problem with facebook whores.

ReputationRep:
    I agree..... right now i cant stand this MC culture. Every god damn song these days is some idiot MC singing some **** song and everyone loves it. I can't stand listening to the top 40 anymore.

I am sure only teenage kids by the songs which get into the top 40. Hence why it is so ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblegummy)
    So did Martin Luther King. But I got over it.
    Imo the good outweighed the bad...
    Martin Luther King changed many racist views in America and the world, David Beckham kicked a ball round a pitch, failed dramatically for his country, and is still switching from club to club making lots of money for doing nothing.

If ''Goldenballs'' is a role model then its no wonder were ******.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I like my generation.

ReputationRep:
    Whats worse than sheep following trends, up themselves idiots with very little personality *****ing about everyone else following trends and proclaiming their way (often just some rehashed retro **** ''I love the 60's'') superior or better.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely get your point. But I feel it's unfair. Let me bring some optimism into your perspective and remind you of the people of this generation who read books, volunteer, write, entertain and aspire to fulfilling lives by looking up to worthy heroes, role models, such as artists and scientists, sportsmen and actors who encourage fighting against AIDS, animal cruelty, poverty, etc.

There are some real values out there which young people respond to. It's true that people seem stupid and shallow from the outside, but as soon as you get to know them individually, you'll realize that most of them have great things to offer.

ReputationRep:

To be honest you sound like a boring, grumpy old man.

Your stereotyping just a little bit aren't you?! So what if people watch skins and listen to radio 1? People had parties way before skins was ever invented! And anyway if they are enjoying themselves who's to stop them!

I admit there is some dreadful music about but hasn't there always? It's just 40 years on no-one remembers it!

As for the whole role model thing, there are plently of positive role models out there and they don't have to be celebrities. I doubt many people aspire to be Amy Winehouse!

Yes, more people do take cameras out now. Digital cameras are so much practical than old cameras. I take a camera with me everytime I go out! It's not about putting photos on facebook. I've got photos all over my room and I love looking at them because they remind me of such good times.

ReputationRep:
    Martin Luther King changed many racist views in America and the world, David Beckham kicked a ball round a pitch, failed dramatically for his country, and is still switching from club to club making lots of money for doing nothing.

If ''Goldenballs'' is a role model then its no wonder were ******.
    Then blame the millions of fans for willing to pay expensive tickets for watching him kick a ball around. It's entertainment and it's what he's good at. It's not really his fault he gets paid so much. He also does quite a lot of charity work and has inspired a lot of kids to take up sport. Something we could perhaps use more of in this 'obese kids' generation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Lily Allen

David Beckham is a brilliant role-model, he grew up in Leytonstone and made it big. I live near Leytonstone and it is a rough area so he did really well.
    correction, he grew up in Chingford which is full of old people and cats and sucked in school (my school, Chingford Foundations), not inculding p.e (duh)
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Um, why? Since when were ethnic minorities to blame for facebook photos and David Beckham? :confused:
    I was joking, thats why I said some sort of. Of course I don't actually mean it, I just meant some form of selectivity. *Shrugs* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i do agree with you, OP to an extent

yes the fake, ignorant materialistic fools are overwhelming, and even when you get to know a little of them, straight away they're awful- have had many bad, unjustified actions towards me by them, but end of the day it's their lives they're trashing and not all are bad and people do overcoming stupidity, just need more of them.

ReputationRep:

No, it isn't just you, I feel the same way. Music nowadays is crap, although personally I enjoy listening to Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse, especially the lyrics. But then there are all these bands that I've never even heard of that are supposed to be great, and in truth they're just crap. I much prefer old rock and roll music to be honest.
    And I completely agree with you about the parties. I have this friend on facebook that has millions of photos of cans of beer and alcohol, and people find it funny to tag themselves and say "oh, look how much we drunk last night!". It's not even funny and it's totally pointless. It's like getting wasted is the only way to have fun nowadays.
    I hate my generation too

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.