Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblegummy)
    Then blame the millions of fans for willing to pay expensive tickets for watching him kick a ball around. It's entertainment and it's what he's good at. It's not really his fault he gets paid so much. He also does quite a lot of charity work and has inspired a lot of kids to take up sport. Something we could perhaps use more of in this 'obese kids' generation.
    He's not even good at football anymore though.

And tbh it's not really our generations fault, it's the media. The media put these people on pedastools (that's spelt wrong probably) but there are good role models out there, just not enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia.maria)
    To be honest you sound like a boring, grumpy old man.

Your stereotyping just a little bit aren't you?! So what if people watch skins and listen to radio 1? People had parties way before skins was ever invented! And anyway if they are enjoying themselves who's to stop them!

I admit there is some dreadful music about but hasn't there always? It's just 40 years on no-one remembers it!

As for the whole role model thing, there are plently of positive role models out there and they don't have to be celebrities. I doubt many people aspire to be Amy Winehouse!

Yes, more people do take cameras out now. Digital cameras are so much practical than old cameras. I take a camera with me everytime I go out! It's not about putting photos on facebook. I've got photos all over my room and I love looking at them because they remind me of such good times.
    Advertising partys on Myspace and then crying to the local news because you're house was trashed hasn't always happened though. I'm not stereotyping, I did say ''not all people my age are like that'' most my friends agree with me. You may be an exeption with the camera thing, I'm not saying everyone brings cameras out to put photos on FB but alot do. I see people being tagged in photos when they're in the
    Shop or sitting on a bench in the park.

I'm not grumpy, but I can see why you think that. I have to be careful though, I don't want to turn emo and sit in my room hating everyone. I want to enjoy my youth and I have so far.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate people like to take photos, but jesus christ, I was talked into 'pub crawl' with my old mates last week along with their college mates, literally every 5 minutes they'd stop, pose and take a picture, usually 5 or so in the exact same position. Presumably so everyone on facebook can see they too wear cardigans, straighten their hair, and are generally identical to every other ******* lad. Rest of the night entailed bursts of dancing to auto-tuned RnB, having a fag outside, then doing a shot. And they do this twice a week, every week.

And this I imagine, is the same up and down the country. Why? Cause its the normal and they want to fit in.

To me a good night is, smallish club that plays dubstep/dnb/reggae, a few stims, and hours of skanking. But each to their own I suppose....

ReputationRep:
    You make a couple of good points, but some of them are also just general frustrations.

Young people these days are subjected to a whole host of influences. Mostly the media and as such are increasingly impressionable. Whereas back in time, they relied on what they were taught by their Teachers and Parents (traditional role models), that's just not the case anymore. Because of this increasing coverage, the media can take a major portion of the blame in the change of attitude on younger generations.

What annoys me most is a fundamental lack of respect, a false sense of entitlement and utter vanity. I appropriate the blame of the former due to the lack of good role-models (see above). A false sense of being owed can be blamed upon the rise of nagative role models. Magazines like Heat and programmes like BB just make the situation worse. The vanity aspect annoys me most, but I guess that's a by-product of the digital age, which as a poster mentioned beforehand, is due to the availability and cheapness of things like Digital Cameras, Mobile phones, etc. You've got women stuck between "size zero" and "obesity", waxing and preening every single part of their body; men being forced into two ideals: between "alpha male" or " beta reject" and undergoing enormous social pressure to shag as many people as possible/drink as much as possible. I could go on.

This is the major problem of our time, not the Music or technological advancements. The 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's had their fair share of rubbish music, but only the best music of those years is remembered. Facebook is a useful social organisation tool, not really that bad at all.

Swings and roundabouts. As they say, everything mellows with time. I'm sure the youth of the seventies felt something similar when they started to follow the general apathy espoused by the Sex Pistols!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.
    Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 80's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    I totally agree with these bits :yes:

ah well...

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP everything is so bland and same-y whilst trying to hold onto being different. If everyone is different then nobody is I guess :p:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest nothing about this 'generation' annoys me. I'm 21 so maybe I'm a bit old for the whole 'Skins' thing, but I do love Skins.
    If you don't like it, ignore it, I'm sure they arn't sitting moaning about you. Everyone has to be young and stupid at some stage in life, you have the rest of your days to be sensible.
    Also I'm sure with every generation there were those who hated the 'in-scene' i'm sure alot of people during the sixties found the whole 'mod' look and attitude irritating. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    The whole 'everyones the same' thing too, it's always been that way.
    Whatever is the majority fashion at any point in time with dominate what people wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AprilMay88)
    To be honest nothing about this 'generation' annoys me. I'm 21 so maybe I'm a bit old for the whole 'Skins' thing, but I do love Skins.
    If you don't like it, ignore it, I'm sure they arn't sitting moaning about you. Everyone has to be young and stupid at some stage in life, you have the rest of your days to be sensible.
    Also I'm sure with every generation there were those who hated the 'in-scene' i'm sure alot of people during the sixties found the whole 'mod' look and attitude irritating. Get over it.
    Oh yes well ofcourse there's always going to be rebellion against the mainstream ways but back then things were better. I look at the youth today and I don't hate it, but I can see the pretentiousness and lack of respect. Back in the 60's the kids had parents and good people as role models, not some slapper on Big Brother. Kids used to want to be policeman, firemen and footballers, now they want to be famous.

It's much more difficult to be a kid in today society and this is due to shows like Skins (like it or not you can't deny this)

Please Youtube ''stewart lee skins'' and watch that video. The media today has a negative effect on us and to deny that is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

:ditto:

+rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    You make a couple of good points, but some of them are also just general frustrations.

Young people these days are subjected to a whole host of influences. Mostly the media and as such are increasingly impressionable. Whereas back in time, they relied on what they were taught by their Teachers and Parents (traditional role models), that's just not the case anymore. Because of this increasing coverage, the media can take a major portion of the blame in the change of attitude on younger generations.

What annoys me most is a fundamental lack of respect, a false sense of entitlement and utter vanity. I appropriate the blame of the former due to the lack of good role-models (see above). A false sense of being owed can be blamed upon the rise of nagative role models. Magazines like Heat and programmes like BB just make the situation worse. The vanity aspect annoys me most, but I guess that's a by-product of the digital age, which as a poster mentioned beforehand, is due to the availability and cheapness of things like Digital Cameras, Mobile phones, etc. You've got women stuck between "size zero" and "obesity", waxing and preening every single part of their body; men being forced into two ideals: between "alpha male" or " beta reject" and undergoing enormous social pressure to shag as many people as possible/drink as much as possible. I could go on.

This is the major problem of our time, not the Music or technological advancements. The 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's had their fair share of rubbish music, but only the best music of those years is remembered. Facebook is a useful social organisation tool, not really that bad at all.

Swings and roundabouts. As they say, everything mellows with time. I'm sure the youth of the seventies felt something similar when they started to follow the general apathy espoused by the Sex Pistols!
    You made a really good point here, repped. Agreed with everything you said - when other users are talking about the legendary popular music of the last four decades I doubt they've considered Cliff Richard, The Bay City Rollers, Gary Glitter, Bananarama, Barry Manilow, Five Star, Bros.. all pretty big in their time.

With the internet age a wider variety of music and culture is more accessible and we should appreciate that. At least we have a choice.

ReputationRep:

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

:ditto:
    You have described everything. Not to mention we brought you the "chav" the "yob" and the ASBO! As a generation I would agree we suck quite badly. And "oooh its the media's fault". Well we bought into their rubbish. Retards watching big brother and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Yeah, you want to find people with substance and ignore the brainless masses.

:rofl: Yeah we should alll try to be like you. An angsty teen who calls himself an Anarchist to be different and edgy, but in reality doesn't even know his Max Stirner from his James Guillaume. lol I haven't met a thousand people like you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    isnt there a famous quote about the youth being lazy, arrogant know it alls by some monk in like 3 bc.
    i feel this is far more about you liking music from the 60s and no one around you agreeing with your taste in music and that makes you feel like an outcast hence this thread.
    though i do agree with you about the picture taking, i know people who take hundreds of photos all of the same people in different combinations they all look the same no matter what the place or event.

ReputationRep:
    This thread stinks of generalisation. Who cares what other people do with their lives. It's up to people how they live their lives, i hate the likes of Big Brother and can't figure why people watch it other than something to have convos with others about as the people on there are complete weirdos i agree. Anyway the 70s was full of drugs, more so than you probably think. People seem to think previous decades were amazing and perfectly clean compared to this one but i'm sure they are wrong. Ok, i'm sure this decade is poorer in standard but people seem to forget that Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin weren't all over the radio in the 70s. You get generic crap in all decades but the greats get remembered like those 2 for example. Like this for example, this decade is poor but it has many good bands and artists mainstream level. No stand out artists i think, but maybe time might change that?

I know what you mean about the photos, some photos generally annoy the hell out of me, but for memories sake i don't give a toss what others do. As long as they don't add photos up that night or anything or makes stupid poses that will only be looked back as cringworthy.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously hate my generation. .
    I hate your generation too, mostly for the reasons you state.

ReputationRep:
    i swear our whole generaton are all complete sheep, god forbid anyone is an individual..

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally with you here. Sometimes I look at old footage or books or photos of someone like Bowie, or rock bands like Guns N Roses, Whitesnake, AC/DC, and just resent what the world's become now. When rock-n-roll was born, it was new, it was exciting, it was rebelling against a constricting society, and it must have been wonderful. It was a lifestyle which wasn't forced for the cameras or trying to be something which the people concerned weren't, it was a genuine thrill from a new dawn of revolutionary and inspirational music, and a lifestyle of individuality, risk-taking, living on the wild side, and above all, freedom.

I know someone whose father worked with bands like Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, all that generation, and the stories he has to tell are phenomenal. Because rock-n-roll then was genuine. It was the original, so it wasn't false or trying to live up to other generations. It was a crazy new generation of musicians doing shocking and daring things which moved the world, because the world wasn't expecting it and had seen nothing like it. These days musicians are always trying to prove something, trying to be like stars of the past, trying to dub themselves "all about the music" when the music they're creating is just like everything else and deliberately manufactured to try to fit some ideal. Musicians with even the slightest bit of edge are immediately pounced on as "alternative" and in our generation's desperation to gain that feeling of rebellion and rock-n-roll, before you know it, the individual and quirky, new and different music becomes an accidental sell-out because everyone in the ******* world wants to like the music that no-one else does and oops, suddenly the band's mainstream and no-one wants to know anymore.

It's like there's nothing to rebel against anymore. Few young people are interested enough in politics to write music rebelling against it, and even if they did, politics now has changed from the last generation, when new movements were developing and there was a cause to fight for. The world isn't something to escape from anymore. I'd love to have been around in the 50s or 60s or 70s, when suddenly the restrictive gender roles, stereotypical decorum and so on of the early 20th century was blown away by the arrival of hippy power, glam rock, mods and rockers, political rebellion and music which actually inspired people to break out of moulds and live dangerously and wildly, not following bands because they were cool but because those band's lyrics were something worth following, because those stars were the leaders of a cause which was new, exciting, unusual, and genuinely felt, not just done to look cool, and parties and gigs were attended for the atmosphere, the thrill of the music and the attitudes of the people who were moved by it, and photographs were taken to remember moments you never dreamed you'd experience in your lifetime, not as you say, to tag in one of your 98 Facebook albums of "Nyts out wiv m8z lol"

I'm with you all the way. I'd do anything to have been around when the world was changing, instead of being caught in a stalemate where nothing ever really seems to mean that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    You think? I find if I just look around for 5-10 mins in a shop I can find something a bit different, maybe an item other people wear but wear it in a different way. Rather than going with the boring jeans+tshirt like EVERY guy just defaults to
    well whenever i go in im just so disgusted by everyone looking exactly the same as the dummies that i get out of there quick :P
    but how do you wear it in a different way? (not trying to sound too sarcastic) theres only one way to wear jeans...
    and i don't think theres anything wrong with the jeans+T combo, its just the style of them.

ReputationRep:
    Your right. It all sucks. So we had better make this life a bit more interesting by grouping with the right more variable people, and stop excluding some important people because they seem 'weird'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.