Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I blame the internet !!!111

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    I'm totally with you here. Sometimes I look at old footage or books or photos of someone like Bowie, or rock bands like Guns N Roses, Whitesnake, AC/DC, and just resent what the world's become now. When rock-n-roll was born, it was new, it was exciting, it was rebelling against a constricting society, and it must have been wonderful. It was a lifestyle which wasn't forced for the cameras or trying to be something which the people concerned weren't, it was a genuine thrill from a new dawn of revolutionary and inspirational music, and a lifestyle of individuality, risk-taking, living on the wild side, and above all, freedom.

I know someone whose father worked with bands like Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, all that generation, and the stories he has to tell are phenomenal. Because rock-n-roll then was genuine. It was the original, so it wasn't false or trying to live up to other generations. It was a crazy new generation of musicians doing shocking and daring things which moved the world, because the world wasn't expecting it and had seen nothing like it. These days musicians are always trying to prove something, trying to be like stars of the past, trying to dub themselves "all about the music" when the music they're creating is just like everything else and deliberately manufactured to try to fit some ideal. Musicians with even the slightest bit of edge are immediately pounced on as "alternative" and in our generation's desperation to gain that feeling of rebellion and rock-n-roll, before you know it, the individual and quirky, new and different music becomes an accidental sell-out because everyone in the ******* world wants to like the music that no-one else does and oops, suddenly the band's mainstream and no-one wants to know anymore.

It's like there's nothing to rebel against anymore. Few young people are interested enough in politics to write music rebelling against it, and even if they did, politics now has changed from the last generation, when new movements were developing and there was a cause to fight for. The world isn't something to escape from anymore. I'd love to have been around in the 50s or 60s or 70s, when suddenly the restrictive gender roles, stereotypical decorum and so on of the early 20th century was blown away by the arrival of hippy power, glam rock, mods and rockers, political rebellion and music which actually inspired people to break out of moulds and live dangerously and wildly, not following bands because they were cool but because those band's lyrics were something worth following, because those stars were the leaders of a cause which was new, exciting, unusual, and genuinely felt, not just done to look cool, and parties and gigs were attended for the atmosphere, the thrill of the music and the attitudes of the people who were moved by it, and photographs were taken to remember moments you never dreamed you'd experience in your lifetime, not as you say, to tag in one of your 98 Facebook albums of "Nyts out wiv m8z lol"

I'm with you all the way. I'd do anything to have been around when the world was changing, instead of being caught in a stalemate where nothing ever really seems to mean that much.
    thats why salvia is the way forward, it ill take u back in time if u want but only for 5 minutes

ReputationRep:
    I hate miserable ***** like you OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Lily Allen

David Beckham is a brilliant role-model, he grew up in Leytonstone and made it big. I live near Leytonstone and it is a rough area so he did really well.

I think you just sound a bit old in all honesty.
    I lived in Leytonstone, It's still pretty rough around Cathall and Langthorne park but near Whipps cross hospital and Grove Green road it's alright. Leyton is the probably the roughest in Waltham Forest.

I heard David Beckham :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Its true, pretty much everyone under the age of 28 is a tosser. Luckily I'm 31, so I can settle with being a grumpy old ******* instead...

And yes, all the bands that have appeared since around '00 are indeed ****.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to an ever urbanising, material world.

We really should do something about it.

I still love the libertines and the cribs though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    A warm welcome to our society! You must not love it but you must be able to resist it. And that's all!

ReputationRep:
    Methinks the OP is a bit of a grumpy bugger.
    Firstly, I think you need to broaden your musical horizons. I agree that most imported American music is pure, unadulterated crud. So, look somewhere else. Try European music. They certainly do metal far better than the Yanks. They also have far more "indie" artists (I say "indie" in the ORIGINAL sense of "independent", as in record label). Norway, Finland and the Netherlands, in particular, produce huge quantities of extremely good symphonic and operatic metal. Germany still has industrial outfits like OOMPH! and Rammstein. Or try Italy for power metal like Elvenking and Rhapsody of Fire.
    Secondly, kids have always acted like they see on TV, or hear on the radio, or read in magazines. This is nothing new. The only thing YOU can do is to make up your own damn mind NOT to do so. I can't comment on DJs, as I don't listen to the radio.
    I don't know about the cameras, either. I know that I tend to bring one when I meet my friends, but that's mostly because we collect Asian dolls and like to take photos of them. Again, I fail to see what YOU can do about this trend, other than ignoring it and refusing to take part.

So yeah. I think you need to cheer up a little and stop taking everything so seriously. Look harder for good music or TV shows, instead of complaining that the popular stuff is bad, and live with the trends. Every generation has them. It's called society. The only way you can avoid it is going to live in a hut on a mountainside. Let me know how that works out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wig)
    Welcome to an ever urbanising, material world.

We really should do something about it.

I still love the libertines and the cribs though.
    They're brilliant, Cribs are ''anti indie''

What did Ryan Jarman say about Indie and global warming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I hate miserable ***** like you OP
    Oh do **** off

I'm not miserable, I have many friends and I'm a sociable and happy person. I just get annoyed when I notice how f****d we are. Don't hate somone because they think differenty.

(you're a Man Utd fan, I can't say I'm surprised by your arrogance)

ReputationRep:
    Just because you prefer music from the 60s/70s, that doesn't mean everything new is pants. Hating a generation of people on the basis that your taste is not mainstream seems a little foolish.

And 'indie' is actually an abbreviated form of independent. Admittedly, the majority of music branded 'indie' isn't really, due to the fact that it's mostly on major record labels, but no one is branding themselves as being 'individual' when they are in an indie band.

There are also a lot of people about who are brilliant role models and frequently featured on the TV or in magazines or wherever else in the media. People like JK Rowling, who introduced millions of children (as well as adults in many cases) into the joys of reading. And even if our role models aren't as excellent as you'd like, neither are many of the supposedly great muscians from the 60s and 70s, what with all the sex and drugs and rock and roll. Every generation has a micture of bad and good role models, the bad is not unique to us.

The thing is, life isn't bleak and hideous if you don't look at it that way. Lighten up a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llrael)
    Methinks the OP is a bit of a grumpy bugger.
    Firstly, I think you need to broaden your musical horizons. I agree that most imported American music is pure, unadulterated crud. So, look somewhere else. Try European music. They certainly do metal far better than the Yanks. They also have far more "indie" artists (I say "indie" in the ORIGINAL sense of "independent", as in record label). Norway, Finland and the Netherlands, in particular, produce huge quantities of extremely good symphonic and operatic metal. Germany still has industrial outfits like OOMPH! and Rammstein. Or try Italy for power metal like Elvenking and Rhapsody of Fire.
    Secondly, kids have always acted like they see on TV, or hear on the radio, or read in magazines. This is nothing new. The only thing YOU can do is to make up your own damn mind NOT to do so. I can't comment on DJs, as I don't listen to the radio.
    I don't know about the cameras, either. I know that I tend to bring one when I meet my friends, but that's mostly because we collect Asian dolls and like to take photos of them. Again, I fail to see what YOU can do about this trend, other than ignoring it and refusing to take part.

So yeah. I think you need to cheer up a little and stop taking everything so seriously. Look harder for good music or TV shows, instead of complaining that the popular stuff is bad, and live with the trends. Every generation has them. It's called society. The only way you can avoid it is going to live in a hut on a mountainside. Let me know how that works out.
    Firstly I don't need to cheer up, I'm fine.

Secondly I don't need to broaden my musical horizon, I like many new and old bands/musicians.

I Like:
    The Killers (my favourite band)
    The Strokes
    Gaslight Anthem
    The Beatles
    Vampire Weekend
    The Cribs
    Libertines
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Cure
    Led Zeppelin
    Joni Hendrix
    The stone roses

I dislike:
    The Wombats
    Lily Allen
    James Morrison/James Blunt (they're the same)
    The Pigeon Detectives
    The kooks
    Leona Lewis (and any other Cowell manufactured kareoke star)
    Girls Aloud
    JLS
    Kanye West
    La Roux
    Plus any band with a generic sound and stupid name which people think is quirky and cool.

Guilty Pleasure:
    Katy Perry (I actually like ''waking up in Vegas'')

If can't see that we spend too much time on Computers and being obsessed with getting drunk then you're deluded. But you seem intelligent so I'm sure you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.
    i have never made this hand gesture in a photo, but now I will. Why? Because it's damn good, as hand gestures go. Nothing says 'I LIKE TO ROCKKK' more.

That is what I have gained from this topic, I hope you are happy

ReputationRep:
    They're brilliant, Cribs are ''anti indie''

What did Ryan Jarman say about Indie and global warming?
    'mainstream attitudes of bands today is a bigger problem than global warming'

cracking quote.

Anyway, I agree with many of your sentiments, however these things swing in roundabouts, who's to say what life will be like in 3-4 years.

There is goodness in our generation as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    :rofl: Yeah we should alll try to be like you. An angsty teen who calls himself an Anarchist to be different and edgy, but in reality doesn't even know his Max Stirner from his James Guillaume. lol I haven't met a thousand people like you :rolleyes:
    And I haven't met thousands of people like you - actually, I haven't, because I don't hang around with moronic mainstream imbeciles.

I just watch them as they plod about the world prodding at things like particularly stupid apes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I don't get the deal with the camera. Can one not take pictures at a party they attend or something, without the assumption that it is only for FB?
    If it wasn't for 'FB' then people wouldn't take hundreds of photos (literally) of the same people in virtually the same pose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **** Valentine)
    i have never made this hand gesture in a photo, but now I will. Why? Because it's damn good, as hand gestures go. Nothing says 'I LIKE TO ROCKKK' more.

That is what I have gained from this topic, I hope you are happy
    Brilliant and nothing says ''I AM A ****'' more than that gesture.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant and nothing says ''I AM A ****'' more than that gesture.
    Easy tiger.

edit - just for your own personal perusal, please look at my recently played artists on last.fm, in my profile. we could have been friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **** Valentine)
    Easy tiger.

edit - just for your own personal perusal, please look at my recently played artists on last.fm, in my profile. we could have been friends
    Sorry ****, I can't see who you like just tell me.

ReputationRep:
    We are in a "celebrity" generation, which I find rather depressing. Nowadays, we all seem to aspire to be like other people, whether that's by shrinking to size 0 or following the fashion of so called zelebs, inspired by magazines such as OK and Heat. I think this leads to a lot of people becoming depressed, as they feel they aren't good enough when they don't reach these aspirations.

It's all about being an individual, following your own dreams and reaching your own goals but I think people, especially younger people are starting to lose sight of this. Celebrities have too much of an influence on our lives.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.