Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    Sorry ****, I can't see who you like just tell me.
    Strokes, Gaslight Anthem, Modest Mouse, Electric Six [my band], Great Lake Swimmers, Fleet Foxes, the list goes on.

*Expects obliteration from Cinderella man*

ReputationRep:
    Make up and indulge in gay sex, you know you want to.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously hate my generation. No not the song, I mean literally my generation. Alot of people my age seem false, not everyone my age ofcourse, I have many friends who are fine but I find that most people in my college (and my age) are annoying.

I don't know what it is, it seems like people my age watch Skins and think ''thats cool, I want to be like that'' So they act like the people on these shows. Maybe its not their fault. I no longer listen to Radio 1 because I am fkin sick to death of hearing talentless DJ's trying to be cool and young. Jo Whiley is an example, always playing new bands and harping on about twitter and facebook. If I hear one more celebrity mention Twitter I'm going to go mental.

Our generation don't really have anyone to look upto, we don't have hero's. We have the likes of Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, and David Beckham as rolemodels. Our music industry is appauling yet we think we have the best bands ever. We don't realize that compared to music from the 60's and 70's our music is dire. Yet NME come along and tell us what to like. ''Heres a great new indie band'', indie, indie, fkin indie. I loathe the word. It supposed to mean ''individual'' but it really means the opposite.

Is it just me or are more people taking cameras out. Let me explain, I remember going to partys etc... a few years back and nobody bothered to bring a camera out, now every party or event has a camera. Its all because they want to be tagged in Facebook, they'll feel cool if they are seen in a photo with a bottle of beer in their hand pulling the cliched rock hand gesture.

I'm sorry, maybe its just me.
    I think ive fallen in love with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **** Valentine)
    Strokes, Gaslight Anthem, Modest Mouse, Electric Six [my band], Great Lake Swimmers, Fleet Foxes, the list goes on.

*Expects obliteration from Cinderella man*
    Well Dickers I'm impressed, never heard of Great Lake Swimmers and is Modest Mouse that DJ? If so I don't like him.

But yeah thats decent, F.F. are gold too

You may also like

Band of horses
    and
    The Shins

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everything, really.

ReputationRep:
    Well Dickers I'm impressed, never heard of Great Lake Swimmers and is Modest Mouse that DJ? If so I don't like him.

But yeah thats decent, F.F. are gold too

You may also like

Band of horses
    and
    The Shins
    listen to both already :cool:

and nah, that's Deadmau5 as far as i'm aware. Modest Mouse have Johnny Marr as guitarist, and are quite quality.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe of you just manned up, got on with your life you'd like it more.

Times change. That's a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    Not true. What was "cool" in the 80s was actually good. :pierre:
    I wonder if you would say the same if you had actually lived in the 80s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **** Valentine)
    listen to both already :cool:

and nah, that's Deadmau5 as far as i'm aware. Modest Mouse have Johnny Marr as guitarist, and are quite quality.
    The Killers are the best though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, theres lot of good things about this generation too such as more than ever before teens are staying on at school, and wanting to go uni to study subjects like medicine. Just be happy, and try to find friends who think similar to the way you do. In every generation there are teens who be fake to try and fit in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    And I haven't met thousands of people like you - actually, I haven't, because I don't hang around with moronic mainstream imbeciles.

I just watch them as they plod about the world prodding at things like particularly stupid apes.

Well why don't you convince me you are different from all the rest by explaining your ideals, what do you believe in punktopia? Which philosophers do you draw inspiration from? Bakunin? Fabbri? Durruit?
    Goldman?
    It's all well and good to label yourself an Anarchist, but you become a joke when you cannot back up why you call yourself one.

ReputationRep:
    And I haven't met thousands of people like you - actually, I haven't, because I don't hang around with moronic mainstream imbeciles.

I just watch them as they plod about the world prodding at things like particularly stupid apes.
    Why are you so different and hip?

ReputationRep:
    OP I agree with you for much of your post, however I think to blame it on the generation of people per se is a little harsh.

I personally feel it's due to the exponential increase in technology advancement that has happened over the last decade. Not so long ago was face-to-face communication, letter writing and telephone conversation the only mainstream mediums for people to communicate; nowadays you have texting, a medium which requires a person to be reachable all the time, and various online social networking sites like facebook which create an online virtual world for people to parade their social lives for the world to see.

Leading on from that last point about Facebook, we've become so obsessed with prying into each others lives, possibly due to the lack of stimulating things in mainstream culture, that we've seen the advent of reality TV, and Facebook which I consider to be a Big Brother style world where everyone gets bombarded with each other's conversations, plastering photos of every detail of everyone's social lives, by means of a megaphone also known as the news feed, to a point where it's just not healthy!

So I don't think the people of our generation are particularly to blame, I think that technology development has almost spiralled out of control and we're "taking advantage of it", for lack of a better expression. It's just happened to occur during our generation.

Obviously we should embrace new technology because it'll be here to stay, however one can't help noticing it can sometimes be a double-edged sword! Places like TSR where there is (usually! ... sometimes?) intellectual debate is obviously good but sites like Facebook which are a mêlée of compulsive photo-uploading-tagging-commenting which somehow always seems to creep into real life conversation... is bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Well why don't you convince me you are different from all the rest by explaining your ideals, what do you believe in punktopia? Which philosophers do you draw inspiration from? Bakunin? Fabbri? Durruit?
    Goldman?
    It's all well and good to label yourself an Anarchist, but you become a joke when you cannot back up why you call yourself one.
    Erm, you clearly took one look at the avatar and trundled off with your own misconception. You probably think "anarchy" equates to "rioting and burning things, violence and all that" right?

And I don't follow philosophers, I follow my own logical reasoning which comes from a variety of life experiences. Following one man's teachings is just silly.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, you clearly took one look at the avatar and trundled off with your own misconception. You probably think "anarchy" equates to "rioting and burning things, violence and all that" right?

And I don't follow philosophers, I follow my own logical reasoning which comes from a variety of life experiences. Following one man's teachings is just silly.

So you have no idea who these individuals are?

If you follow your own logical reasoning, which apparently comes from a variety of experiences plucked from your sheltered life. Why call it Anarchy?

I think you call yourself an Anarchist purely because you think it makes you different or interesting and in doing so ignore and insult those who in the past took it very seriously, men and women like those whom i named earlier.
    I wonder how they would feel if they knew that their dreams and hopes are made a mockery of by teenagers like yourself who have no idea what Anarchism is or what the phrase Anarchist even means.

ReputationRep:
    Punktopia and Aeolus seem to each be telling the other why they're wrong, without either one knowing what the other actually believes...

ReputationRep:
    I don't find my generation fake, only the bit of it that panders to such things. The majority of people in any age are pretty much like yourself, it's only the few who are about as shallow as a teaspoon, hopefully you'll meet plenty of people who think like you do, like the majority of TSR really. I'm not saying we're all the same, but most people think and act to as deep a level as you see yourself, most of them may not advertise this however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    So you have no idea who these individuals are?

If you follow your own logical reasoning, which apparently comes from a variety of experiences plucked from your sheltered life. Why call it Anarchy?

I think you call yourself an Anarchist purely because you think it makes you different or interesting and in doing so ignore and insult those who in the past took it very seriously, men and women like those whom i named earlier.
    I wonder how they would feel if they knew that their dreams and hopes are made a mockery of by teenagers like yourself who have no idea what Anarchism is or what the phrase Anarchist even means.
    I call myself an anarchist on this forum because it's hilarious watching the reactions. I hold some anarchist beliefs - that is, the political ideology, not the tabloid use of the term "anarchy".

And I'm not a teenager. But nice try, you've not presented a sheep-like personal attack I've had to brush aside before... a thousand times.

ReputationRep:
    You sound bitter.

ReputationRep:
    What really gets me about this generation, and other generations I suppose, is that people pretend to like things that they don't just so people will like them.

How on earth can they stand to do that? Whether it be listening to or watching drivel! Or pretending to like certain clothes or behaviours.

It ******* drive me insane.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.