The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't know much but you can only study a maximum of 2 subjects at a time over here, our class system is a bit different as you choose your major before you go and stick with it.
AJ228
I'm a 20 yr old American who is currently two years removed from high school. I would like to major in English Language and Literature, maybe study Journalism and French also, at Oxford.

Well, you might like to have a look at their website - you'll see that you can only study one subject, with a few preset exceptions. So you'd be studying English Language and Literature.

AJ228
I don't have a spectacular resume like most hopeful undergrad students with 4.0 gpa's and other academic achievements of the like. I feel if I got the interview i could get in due to potential, determination, and passion for my desired studies. I feel my high school transcript does not reflect me.

Well, ok. I don't know anything about American grades, but if you don't have the grades, you won't get the interview, unless you have some kind of extenuating circumstances.

AJ228
I'd like to know if I have a chance of getting into Oxford?

If you have the grades they are asking for, and passion for your subject, you have as much chance as anyone else. Remember that it's stiff competition, and admissions is frequently (slightly pejoratively, but only slightly) compared to a lottery. No one can predict whether anyone will get in or not.

AJ228
Also, how do international students go about applying?

Same way as anyone else - through UCAS. As this is Oxford, you'll also need to fill in a few extra forms and so on, and you have an earlier deadline - you'll need to apply by the middle of October this year for 2010 entry (rather than the middle of January, which is the deadline for most courses). I'm sure this page will explain it better than I can, and with much less effort on my part. Though do write back if you have any questions.

One final thing I should mention is the personal statement that's required of you to apply to any British universities - it's absolutely nothing like the American style of personal statement, and that kind of thing sounds really odd to us. There are examples all over TSR (see links at the top of the page), and there's a dedicated personal statement help forum - go and have a look there. :smile:
Reply 3
AJ228
Just to clarify, I'd like to study English Language and Literature, that is the one subject.

Cool, but this means you'll have absolutely nothing to do with journalism or French (though I'm sure there are courses available in French attached to the university, they'll just be nothing to do with your degree and will be 'extra work').
Reply 5
Bismarck
The only grades British universities care about are your AP or IB ones. They don't care about your high school GPA.

Does anyone know if Americans can apply to British universities with mature student status? Because then the grades would matter far less.

The mature student college at Oxford is Harris Manchester (which I'll be entering this fall to do a 2nd bachelors - I'm 25). The OP will need to be 21 or older at the start of the course, which sounds like it won't be a problem.
Reply 6
If I was you I'd do a lot more research, if possible speak to someone in Admissions at Oxford to see if you have a shot.
I can't answer all your questions, but...

AJ228
So if its that stringent, I have no shot in your opinion?

I don't know, because I don't know what your grades mean. They will expect you to get an equivalent of AAA at A-level or have a damn good excuse for not having done so...

AJ228
What was the process of getting in?
UCAS, like any other application.

AJ228
Do all 'mature students' have to go to Harris Manchester
Nope, but mature students are fairly likely to be sent to Harris Manchester via the pool (which you should look up) if their chosen college(s) are full up.

AJ228
You are speaking of undergrad studies, right?
Yes.
OP what are your grades? What is your GPA and what are your grades so far? Do you have marks for any APs? They will require a certain level. GPA isn't so important and you do not need a 4.0 to get in as that is equivalent to more than 3 As at A level.
Reply 9
As generalebriety said...

AJ228
What was the process of getting in?

I applied through UCAS, as everyone else does. Check out http://www.ucas.ac.uk for more information.

AJ228
Do all 'mature students' have to go to Harris Manchester or do the other colleges within oxford accept older students(though 20 is not old at all) as well?

No, they don't, but as generalebriety said, we're likely to get pooled there, which is what happened to me. I applied to Keble College, which was oversubscribed for my course, so they pooled me to Harris Manchester, which granted me an interview and accepted me. "Pooling" is what happens when a particular college receives more good applicants for a course than it can accept. Rather than reject the extra good applicants from Oxford, it gives them to another college with fewer applicants for that course, so that they still have a shot at getting in.

AJ228
You are speaking of undergrad studies, right?

Yes. I'm doing a second undergraduate degree with Senior Status, meaning I skip Preliminary Examinations and go straight to the Final Honours School (i.e. the last two years of the degree). I put on my application that I was applying to enter in Year 2 (i.e. with Senior Status). Senior Status was not automatically granted; it had to be approved by the College.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions. I'm an American living in Maryland (for another month-and-a-half).
Reply 10
I'm 2 years removed from school. I have no APs(not that I'm not capable) and my GPA is like 2.8, I think. I'm not the same person that I was in high school though, and feel my grades are really meaningless in a sense because things have changed a lot. i grew up in a very dysfunctional home and school was rough for me in that way. I always did great in English and have more than enough intellectual ability and comprehension to succeed at Oxford. Its just a matter of them seeing that ability. i'm just going to apply and write a damn good essay and see what happens.

Just curious, does Oxford accept students after 1 year of general studies here in America to show academic ability? That would be another option.

I'm more than capable, but my academic record does not show that. I'm sure you understand what i mean.
Why exactly do you want to go to Oxford :holmes:
US qualification requirements;

Successful candidates would typically have an excellent High School record supplemented by SAT I scores of at least 1,400 in Critical Reading and Mathematics and preferably also 700 or more in the Writing Paper, giving a combined score of at least 2,100, or ACT with a score of at least 32 out of 36. We would also expect Grade 5 in three or more Advanced Placement tests in appropriate subjects or SAT II in three appropriate subjects at 700 or better.
Reply 13
Thanks for the respones from everyone. Just trying to get a sense from those who have experienced the process.
Reply 14
AJ228
I'm a 20 yr old American who is currently two years removed from high school. I would like to major in English Language and Literature, maybe study Journalism and French also, at Oxford. I don't have a spectacular resume like most hopeful undergrad students with 4.0 gpa's and other academic achievements of the like. I feel if I got the interview i could get in due to potential, determination, and passion for my desired studies. I feel my high school transcript does not reflect me. I feel like a much different person with direction after living in a dysfunctional home during high school. I'd like to know if I have a chance of getting into Oxford? Also, how do international students go about applying? Advice, opinions, and whatever would be much appreciated.

tell 'em that and you're in. :yep:
Sorry but there is no point getting your hopes up, the top people from American high school backgrounds rarely get in unless they have done the IB. You would be better off getting into the best college you can in the US and doing as well as you can then applying to Oxford and a few other places in England for a masters. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 16
Honestly, being an applicant to Oxford myself (for graduate school though, so the process is a bit different), I understand where you're coming from. That being said, a 2.8 GPA is VERY mediocre by Oxford standards, even though I realize you were going through a rough patch then. This excuse will only get you so far, don't forget you're applying to arguably the second best university in the world and will be competing against the brightest.

Your background just doesn't look good enough. Now, as I always say, one way of making sure you'll never get in is not applying, so DO apply, but you should really look at other options (community college, state schools and such).

Sorry to sound rude-ish but sometimes a little tough love helps because despite what you say, it seems like you're wanting us to reassure you, but your stats aren't good enough. However, there's always this 'know it when see it' feeling you might give the admissions board. Good luck to you.
You need a glowing school record to get into Oxford. Oxford really is one of the best universities in the world - they accept people of diverse backgrounds and experiences...who have done really very well at school, have a passion for their subject and have high academic ability. thecoolcat and ccematson have posted what you need to get in. They are not going to waive them without extenuating circumstances.

EDIT: I'm not trying to sound harsh...just honest :smile:
Reply 18
Oxford for oxfords sake?
Reply 19
AJ228
I'm a 20 yr old American who is currently two years removed from high school. I would like to major in English Language and Literature, maybe study Journalism and French also, at Oxford. I don't have a spectacular resume like most hopeful undergrad students with 4.0 gpa's and other academic achievements of the like. I feel if I got the interview i could get in due to potential, determination, and passion for my desired studies. I feel my high school transcript does not reflect me. I feel like a much different person with direction after living in a dysfunctional home during high school. I'd like to know if I have a chance of getting into Oxford? Also, how do international students go about applying? Advice, opinions, and whatever would be much appreciated.

I just wanted to share my experience with you.

I'm a 25 year old from the US and I'm studying Medicine at Imperial College School Medicine.

I was not a good student in high school by any stretch of the imagination. I barely passed my grades, hardly showed up, and was ranked in the high 600's out of 730. I did vocational classes in the last two years (Auto Tech) and just the bare minimum state requirements. I also had bad conduct and got in a few altercations at school. I actually didn't even finish as I left before the 2nd semester in my senior year. Just withdrew and walked out. Hardly glowing.

I married an English girl and turned my life around. I moved to London and decided I wanted to become a doctor; as you do. So I went to a local 6th Form private college and did a fast track GCSE course and did 6 subjects (bio, chem, physics, maths, ICT, English) and got 6 A*s in 1 year. That's generally the minimum needed to apply for medicine. GCSE's were what I perceived to be at a US high school level of difficulty.

I then did a normal 2 year A-Level course in Bio, Chem and Physics and got 3 A's. A-levels were what I perceived to be basic US college level or at least the AP high school classes; though I wouldn't really know as I was never in either.

In my 2nd year of A-levels I applied to 4 medical schools; Oxford being one of them. I got rejected from Oxford though, but that could've been for a few reasons [minimum number of GCSE's and I got a mediocre BMAT (a separate entrance exam for medics)]. I got rejected from 2 others but I got and interview at Imperial. After the Imperial interview, I was rejected. I was **** at interviews and didn't really know what I was doing.

I re-applied the following year and got 4 straight rejections without an interview.

After that, I went and did as many hospital attachments as I could. I also managed to get a long term placement in a research lab for Muscular Dystrophy at a prestigious Imperial-linked hospital. It was unpaid and on a voluntary basis but it looked damned good on my personal statement.

I then applied for a third time (are you counting? that's 1 year of gcse's, 2 years of a-levels and 2 more years after that with a 3 application attempts; that's 5 years total). I got another interview at Imperial and an interview at Liverpool. I seriously worked on my lacking interview skills and I got offers from both.

Imperial was the only school I applied for each of the three attempts. It's the only one I really wanted to go to. Oxford would've been nice, and Imperial is not Oxford, but Imperial is still one of the top medical schools in the world. Some rankings have put Imperial above Oxford; but I don't really trust rankings much.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. But if you really want to make it happen, things can be done. I'm not sure you will be able to get into Oxford with your current qualifications but it doesn't hurt to apply anyway.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Latest

Trending

Trending