Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by T-Dog)
    Oxford actually does English and French together, and certain colleges actively try to attract such students (e.g. New)
    Granted. But my main point (which I think you'll agree with) was that it's different to the American system; in America you'd be doing a 'major' in English with various minor choices on the side, whereas in Oxford if you do English and French you won't be doing quite the same English course as the people who do English Language and Literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Granted. But my main point (which I think you'll agree with) was that it's different to the American system; in America you'd be doing a 'major' in English with various minor choices on the side, whereas in Oxford if you do English and French you won't be doing quite the same English course as the people who do English Language and Literature.
    Jaaaaa it's definitely very different :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ228)
    How does one go about by taking a AP or two? What for and where?

Also, I was thinking the same thing about a test to take in order to show apitude, reasoning, and ability in English or in general for all sublects.

There seems to be two minds on this 'dilemma'; no chance at all or give it a try.
    Are you American?

People should always give it a try, for the experience if nothing else as if you take it seriously you should at least learn about your abilities, maybe even if you really want to do the subject.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by AJ228)
    There seems to be two minds on this 'dilemma'; no chance at all or give it a try.
    You certainly don't lose anything (except maybe a few dollars for application, postage, etc.) by trying.

ReputationRep:
    Put simply, Oxford is as good a uni as Harvard, so getting in is just as difficult. If you've a shot at Harvard with your qualifications, you've a shot at Oxford too, otherwise forget it.

Specifically,
    US high-schools are much easier compared to UK sixth-forms, so your GPA of 2.8 means you aren't academically very bright. Then, you're required to do AP/IB with excellent scores to have a fair chance at Oxford, which you don't have. Tbh, I think you've virtually zero chance of getting an interview at Oxford.

My advice would be to do IB and then apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ228)
    A GPA does not define someone.
    Er, it kind of does unfortunately. It doesn't get you in but it will keep you out. You have to understand that applications jump through several hoops before reaching the promised land, and the GPA is the very first one because, well, that's the hardest one to pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJ228)
    My 2.8 GPA from 4 or 5 years ago is misleading. Its rather not even worth talking about since its so irrelevant and not representative of the person today. I'm sure you agree that people change and go through things and evolve. That includes low gym, art, and math scores. If you took my English, History, and Psych scores my GPa would be a 3.8 or higher. I don't agree with the assesment of not being academically bright. Again, I did'nt apply myself during a rough time in high school. I think thats fair. A GPA does not define someone.

Yea, obviously Harvards a great school. Oxford offers something much more unique, especially for those who want to study English I think. Its a great enviorment to do so.This is not go to Oxford or go nowhere.
    I understand your situation, but the thing is, you've to prove yourself on paper to hitch an interview with Oxford. You cannot just say "I had problems at high-school but now I've changed and I'm Oxford material blah blah blah". You gotta prove you've changed, and you're academically capable. Exam results might not define somebody, but it sure does says a lot.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AJ228)
    Could you please stop deleting your posts after people have already taken the trouble to respond to them? It's a bit of a rude thing to do, and they've been quoted multiple times anyway, so it isn't as though you could get rid of the information that way...
    If you're that concerned about protecting your identity, either a) ask a mod to bin your thread after you've had your replies or b) don't post information from which you can be easily identified in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what the hell was going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    Put simply, Oxford is as good a uni as Harvard, so getting in is just as difficult. If you've a shot at Harvard with your qualifications, you've a shot at Oxford too, otherwise forget it.

Specifically,
    US high-schools are much easier compared to UK sixth-forms, so your GPA of 2.8 means you aren't academically very bright. Then, you're required to do AP/IB with excellent scores to have a fair chance at Oxford, which you don't have. Tbh, I think you've virtually zero chance of getting an interview at Oxford.

My advice would be to do IB and then apply.
    Seconded, IB is also valued by American colleges so it could help with US applications too if you do well, but it is a tough system to do very well in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I just wanted to share my experience with you.

I'm a 25 year old from the US and I'm studying Medicine at Imperial College School Medicine.

I was not a good student in high school by any stretch of the imagination. I barely passed my grades, hardly showed up, and was ranked in the high 600's out of 730. I did vocational classes in the last two years (Auto Tech) and just the bare minimum state requirements. I also had bad conduct and got in a few altercations at school. I actually didn't even finish as I left before the 2nd semester in my senior year. Just withdrew and walked out. Hardly glowing.

I married an English girl and turned my life around. I moved to London and decided I wanted to become a doctor; as you do. So I went to a local 6th Form private college and did a fast track GCSE course and did 6 subjects (bio, chem, physics, maths, ICT, English) and got 6 A*s in 1 year. That's generally the minimum needed to apply for medicine. GCSE's were what I perceived to be at a US high school level of difficulty.

I then did a normal 2 year A-Level course in Bio, Chem and Physics and got 3 A's. A-levels were what I perceived to be basic US college level or at least the AP high school classes; though I wouldn't really know as I was never in either.

In my 2nd year of A-levels I applied to 4 medical schools; Oxford being one of them. I got rejected from Oxford though, but that could've been for a few reasons [minimum number of GCSE's and I got a mediocre BMAT (a separate entrance exam for medics)]. I got rejected from 2 others but I got and interview at Imperial. After the Imperial interview, I was rejected. I was **** at interviews and didn't really know what I was doing.

I re-applied the following year and got 4 straight rejections without an interview.

After that, I went and did as many hospital attachments as I could. I also managed to get a long term placement in a research lab for Muscular Dystrophy at a prestigious Imperial-linked hospital. It was unpaid and on a voluntary basis but it looked damned good on my personal statement.

I then applied for a third time (are you counting? that's 1 year of gcse's, 2 years of a-levels and 2 more years after that with a 3 application attempts; that's 5 years total). I got another interview at Imperial and an interview at Liverpool. I seriously worked on my lacking interview skills and I got offers from both.

Imperial was the only school I applied for each of the three attempts. It's the only one I really wanted to go to. Oxford would've been nice, and Imperial is not Oxford, but Imperial is still one of the top medical schools in the world. Some rankings have put Imperial above Oxford; but I don't really trust rankings much.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. But if you really want to make it happen, things can be done. I'm not sure you will be able to get into Oxford with your current qualifications but it doesn't hurt to apply anyway.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
    That's an impressive and inspiring story, how did you manage financially for all that time?

If the OP could do IB for two years at a 6th form college and get 40 points+ with 6's and 7's in the higher papers I'd say he had a shot at UCL and possibly Oxford at a stretch. But that is so far from being an easy thing to do that I'm not inclined to recommend it unless he's dead set on the idea.

And I think for you, you had amazing perseverance and drive, which I'm sure would have been apparent to those reviewing your application, but you seem sensible and motivated to go to a top UK uni, not just Oxbridge. If someone literally just wants to go just Oxbridge and not Imperial, LSE, UCL, Kings, then it wouldn't be a good idea to recommend them to attempt what you've done. Very well done though, as Imperial is definitely better than Oxford for Medicine, its just that Oxford has a better name overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendragon)
    That's an impressive and inspiring story, how did you manage financially for all that time?

If the OP could do IB for two years at a 6th form college and get 40 points+ with 6's and 7's in the higher papers I'd say he had a shot at UCL and possibly Oxford at a stretch. But that is so far from being an easy thing to do that I'm not inclined to recommend it unless he's dead set on the idea.

And I think for you, you had amazing perseverance and drive, which I'm sure would have been apparent to those reviewing your application, but you seem sensible and motivated to go to a top UK uni, not just Oxbridge. If someone literally just wants to go just Oxbridge and not Imperial, LSE, UCL, Kings, then it wouldn't be a good idea to recommend them to attempt what you've done. Very well done though, as Imperial is definitely better than Oxford for Medicine, its just that Oxford has a better name overall.
    It wasn't pretty. I had to live with the in-laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    It wasn't pretty. I had to live with the in-laws.
    And you're still with said girl? If so, well done on two counts!

Plus how impressed were the in-laws when you actually got into Imperial? I bet they had their doubts whether they voiced them or not!

ReputationRep:
    And you're still with said girl? If so, well done on two counts!

Plus how impressed were the in-laws when you actually got into Imperial? I bet they had their doubts whether they voiced them or not!
    They didn't really know my entire full background. They know I didn't do well in school but they knew I was also working 40 hours a week at a restaurant after classes. 35hours a week for school + 40 hours a week at work + no interest in school = FAIL.

I must admit, my in-laws are pretty great considering. They've always had faith in me. They're only ever known me since I turned my life around anyway.

And yes, I'm still with my wife and we have three kids.

Anyway, I have to get back to revising for my exam re-sits. :redface:

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American who just graduated from a UK university. I attended the University of Edinburgh.

+I obtained a 4.0 GPA in high school, with all the necessary college prep courses, and won lots of academic awards, participated in lots of extracurricular activities, had an internship at my state capital, etc.
    +I achieved wholly AVERAGE SAT scores. (610 verbal, 550 mathematics)
    +I attended a tiny rural high school so AP courses weren't readily available or advertised.

Basically, my GPA and my SAT scores, along with all the extras, weren't enough to get me into a UK university. High school courses are roughly equivalent to GCSEs, the exams British students take when they are 15/16 (in other words, the American education system is crap).

SO- I went to a community college in the US for 1 year, then applied. I took challenging courses and achieved good marks.

I got an excellent reference from one of my college professors and ended up getting unconditional offers from five universities.

I think you need to have tangible proof that you are academically capable, and unfortunately a 2.8 GPA from an American high school isn't going to cut it. So I would suggest doing some AP exams or alternatively putting some time in at a community college (and obviously choosing challenging courses and performing well in them!) You can also take and retake SATs as many times as you need, and I think UK universities value SATs a lot more than GPA anyway.

I realise that Oxford is one of the best universities in the world, but there are other fantastic universities in the UK, so perhaps you should do a bit more research into the UK higher education system before making decisions about where to apply. The UK system is a lot different that the American one and I for one found the first two years of uni EXTREMELY challenging, while my coursemates seemed to think it was stupidly easy. Once I got used to the expectations, etc, it became easy enough.

Another consideration: overseas fees are VERY high and scholarships and grants are next to impossible to find.

Anyway, good luck with everything!!

ReputationRep:
    Very well done though, as Imperial is definitely better than Oxford for Medicine, its just that Oxford has a better name overall.
    :eyeball: I'm sure there are plenty over in the Medicine subforum who would love some of your insight...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    :eyeball: I'm sure there are plenty over in the Medicine subforum who would love some of your insight...
    Would they care for an epic battle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Would they care for an epic battle?
    Possibly!
    Many pre-freshers would love the fact that someone can give them a 'definite' answer to the seemingly eternal question - perhaps Pendragon or yourself would be kind enough to definitively rank the rest of the medical schools in the country too..?
    & there are plenty of currents/recent grads need a good giggle from time to time. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Possibly!
    Many pre-freshers would love the fact that someone can give them a 'definite' answer to the seemingly eternal question - perhaps Pendragon or yourself would be kind enough to definitively rank the rest of the medical schools in the country too..?
    & there are plenty of currents/recent grads need a good giggle from time to time. :giggle:
    I only know how to use my fists. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I only know how to use my fists. :confused:
    :gfight: or :fight: would be my preference...

Sorry, will stop this tangent now - the most recent of the aforementioned themed threads is: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...medical+school

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.