Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Some time ago, I posted a question concerning the degree I shoud study next year.. I hold a MA in Applied Ec. and a MSc in Advanced Ec. and I am intending to study a MSc in Finance next year.. i have 3 years of work experience (2 years as PhD student and 1 year as economist at a national corporation (>40.000)). I now want to pursue a finance career and I am intending to work in UK (the city) or Far east (singapore or hong kong). I now have the choice of getting the degree at MBS or at a Belgian school (UAMS).

I don't knw what to choose.. on the one hand i think that MBS will give me some advantage for the city (although there is massive competition of other Bschools). Do you guys know how the MBS degree is perceived in Hong Kong or Singapore for example?

On the other hand, UAMS is way cheeper (i don't have to rent a flat in belgium since I live at my parent's, it would be almost 20k cheeper), and I will also "learn" finance.. but I don't know how the degree is perceived (not so many UAMS students go abroad, since they prefer belgium..)..

so what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    If i were you I would first consider how employers would perceive someone with an MA + 2 MSc's and 1 year corporate work experience.

My personal opinion is that the impression would be negative and by doing one more MSc you would just be shooting yourself in the foot.

In the UK you can get into a good finance career on the back of economics degrees. A third Masters degree starts to look like eternal student syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    In the UK you can get into a good finance career on the back of economics degrees. A third Masters degree starts to look like eternal student syndrome.
    tx.. the "problem" that I have is that i never had a formal training in finance.. i had great econ training, but not that many finance courses.. isn't that a problem if I would like to work in the city or HK or singapore or anywhere abroad?

tx!!

No - I don't think it is a problem - you'd be on the same footing as UK economics graduates and they seem to get into finance jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    No - I don't think it is a problem - you'd be on the same footing as UK economics graduates and they seem to get into finance jobs.

and how about landing a good(!) corporate finance job (e.g P&G, or other multinational) with the MBS degree? or without the MBS degree with my background?

tx for the help!

I would have thought the MBS MBA would be more useful if you were determined to do another degree but I'm sure the finance degree is well regarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I would have thought the MBS MBA would be more useful if you were determined to do another degree but I'm sure the finance degree is well regarded.

is it really needed to land a good corporte finance job or job at an IB (not the biggest, but a moderate as to gain experience and then jump to a large IB or a large multinational?

I'm thinking of taking a Finance degree in Belgum, (way cheaper) just to get a first understanding of finance ..and then find a job where I can learn on-the-job.. would thhat be a good idea?

If you don't think yo can get a finance job with the economics degrees you already have, then I guess it is a good plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    If you don't think yo can get a finance job with the economics degrees you already have, then I guess it is a good plan
    No it's not! his economics level is more than enough to apply for many finance related role. Doing just another masters with such a limited work experience is not going to look good.

(Original post by deldongo)
    No it's not! his economics level is more than enough to apply for many finance related role. Doing just another masters with such a limited work experience is not going to look good.
    I agree. The people I know who are working in finance / city jobs have economics (not finance) degrees. However, he seems convinced its not possible for him and that he needs to do another degree... ultimately, it's his decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I agree. The people I know who are working in finance / city jobs have economics (not finance) degrees. However, he seems convinced its not possible for him and that he needs to do another degree... ultimately, it's his decision.
    tx for the help! I'll try and find a finance job in the city :-) however.. commpetition for those jobs is fierce.. and probably many Oxbridge or LSE graduates will be preferred over me... although I have very good degrees

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.