Turn on thread page Beta

4 weeks until ACA training... Preparation? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Hi

I'm still trying to work out exactly how they managed to come up with such a perverse mark scheme - 50 approach marks, of which pretty much the maximum ever awarded is 25, and 100 technical marks, capped at 50. We've been told that about 30 technical marks should usually be a pass, which doesn't *sound* too bad, but you've got to spot the right points to make.

Thats interesting, didnt know there were a 100 technical marks on offer!

Im at BPP too by the way.

Year above, only one person passed the first mock out of about 16! But to be honest, i have a poor history with mocks any way so im not too bothered. I can count the amount of TPS mocks i passed on one hand!

I take it you are based at the Manchester office? How is it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi man how did your mock exam go? All its cracked up to be? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxmadx)
    Hi man how did your mock exam go? All its cracked up to be? :woo:
    Not too great, tbh, but as I said the vast majority of people fail at least the first mock, so I'm not particularly worried about it. We should get marks and (face-to-face :eek:) feedback this week, so I'll know more before too long!

ReputationRep:
    Not too great, tbh, but as I said the vast majority of people fail at least the first mock, so I'm not particularly worried about it. We should get marks and (face-to-face :eek:) feedback this week, so I'll know more before too long!
    Ahh not to worry like you say matey, everyone seems to be the same with the mocks, they like to scare the hell out of ya so you are ready for the final i guess!
    :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econgrad07)
    Thats interesting, didnt know there were a 100 technical marks on offer!

Im at BPP too by the way.

Year above, only one person passed the first mock out of about 16! But to be honest, i have a poor history with mocks any way so im not too bothered. I can count the amount of TPS mocks i passed on one hand!

I take it you are based at the Manchester office? How is it?
    If your timetable's the same as mine was, I guess that you've got the first mock tomorrow? Best of luck! It's not actually as bad as it might seem - despite most of my class *thinking* we'd done very badly, the majority of us actually ended up passing it!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, good advice. When I started my ICAS training contract, we were given pre-course reading covering the basics of double-entry, which definitely helped for our Financial Accounting course. I'm not familiar with exactly what materials are available from the ICAEW, but if there's something covering double-entry this would be worth reading.
    Received my pre-course materials a few days ago. Oh the joys of t-accounts again :p: I remembered how much I hate English law. Just my luck it's the only exam I don't get an exemption for and we don't get taught it at the TBS.

Are you with Ernst & Young or KPMG? I forget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Received my pre-course materials a few days ago. Oh the joys of t-accounts again :p: I remembered how much I hate English law. Just my luck it's the only exam I don't get an exemption for and we don't get taught it at the TBS.

Are you with Ernst & Young or KPMG? I forget.
    I'm with EY. Best of luck with your course - do you start in September? I sympathise with you on law - fortunately the case study paper (my last ) shouldn't pull any of the detailed bits from my law module!

ReputationRep:
    I'm with EY. Best of luck with your course - do you start in September? I sympathise with you on law - fortunately the case study paper (my last ) shouldn't pull any of the detailed bits from my law module!
    Yup. The exams are 28th October for Financial Accounting and Business Law, and the CTA awareness is Wednesday 4th November.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.