Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    This is my first post so please go gentle on me.

    I’ve just finished my first year doing maths at a top 5 UK uni and have failed all my exams. I made a big mistake last year by choosing maths – I was pretty good at it in my A-Levels and didn’t think of anything else. I’ve never imagined maths to be so abstract at uni level and now I’m even reluctant to read my lecture notes because of that. As such, I’m considering a change to Accounting and Finance / Economics (still unsure, any book recommendations for elementary level reading?).

    Right now, I see the following options:

    1. Retake exams and either
    a) Continue to second year (which is highly unlikely) or
    b) Repeat first year if I fail my exams again

    2. Apply for something else – am I right in saying that Clearing is my only option if I want to make a September 2009 entry? Can I email admission tutors individually?

    My parents want me to graduate ASAP so I’m not considering a gap year. What are your thoughts? Can anyone here share his or her experiences please?


    I would change courses. You're obviously good at maths if you got into a top 5 uni but if the course doesn't interest you you're better off transferring, doing something you're good at and will pass, and then being able to get a job with it at the end.

    Is there a personal tutor or someone you could talk to in the uni about it? They might know how best to apply and be able to advise you of the best thing to do as they know the process and also your grades etc more than any of us probably.

    yeah, i think clearing will be your only chance to get into uni for sept 09/10

    If you are considering changing courses but staying at the same uni, you might not have to use UCAS at all.
    Talk to someone from your course, and they will probably be able to point you in the right direction.
    You could email the admissions tutor too, and see what they have to say.
    Good luck!

    Yeah, if you transfer university then you would need to go through clearing or apply for entry in 2010 and take a gap year. However, as said if you wished to remain at the same university then you may be able to negotiate a change of course as an alternative to re-sitting the year (starting the new course in 1st year again). I know of a few people who have done this.

    (Original post by lostnfound)
    Your parents may want you to graduate as soon as possible, but rushing into another course is not a good idea. What's happened is not a great confidence booster, after all, so I would echo the advice to talk to someone at your current uni about your options, which include taking some time out to decide what you really want to do.

    You aren't the first person and you won't be the last to find maths at uni a very different kettle of fish from A2, so don't take this outcome too much to heart.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.