Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this Argos pull-up bar a good choice for a beginner? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1 500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=CHINNING+BAR&Submi t=GO+>

I'd like to know what people think. Also, how easy will it be to fit it into my door frame, and how reliable will it be? I think my door frame is slightly smaller than average, so I don't know how many problems that would cause in terms of exercise..

ReputationRep:
    I have that exact chinning bar, it has plenty of room for adjustment width wise so your door frame wont be a problem, and it holds my weight of 13st 5 lbs without struggling

Go for it I say

ReputationRep:
    they are all pretty similar, that one doesn't have any padding though

p.s. had mine a couple of years and its totally messed up the doorframe, i.e. huge cracks no joke.

Just warning you man

ReputationRep:
    I have one, doesn't mess up door frame because it has huge rubber padding. Doesn't slip when it's tight enough.

ReputationRep:
    Talking pish

ReputationRep:
    Its ok and it also doubles as a second wardrobe... I always seemed to hang my clothes on it :cool: I did find that my movement was restricted a lot by the door frame! Joining a gym would be better but if it isn't an option for you then make sure that you have a full body routine.

ReputationRep:
    How do they work? Don't they get pulled down by the weight of the person using them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazcobain)
    How do they work? Don't they get pulled down by the weight of the person using them?
    Well there are one of two ways it could pull off such an amazing defiance of gravity.

1) It wedges in the gap really ******* tight and can be adjusted with some expanding turning mechanism to tighten even more.
    2) It is screwed in with... screws.

ReputationRep:
    Looks fairly standard and will most likely do the job. I prefer the 'powerbar' myself though, I found it didn't leave marks on the wall like the bar I used to have (similar to the one you want to get).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Well there are one of two ways it could pull off such an amazing defiance of gravity.

1) It wedges in the gap really ******* tight and can be adjusted with some expanding turning mechanism to tighten even more.
    2) It is screwed in with... screws.
    If it was screwed in with... screws then I doubt they could advertise it as easily removable, plus constantly screwing and unscrewing a door frame would leave it looking like a Swiss Cheese before long

ReputationRep:
    If it was screwed in with... screws then I doubt they could advertise it as easily removable, plus constantly screwing and unscrewing a door frame would leave it looking like a Swiss Cheese before long
    I'm going to be honest with you here Gaz... I didn't read it.

ReputationRep:
    It has 2 brackets that screw into the doorframe on either side. The bar works on sort of a screw like basis. Turn it one way and it expands (into the brackets) and the other way to compress it (so that it can be 'easily' removed). The brackets stay in place though.

ReputationRep:
    Burn!!

ReputationRep:
    They are rubbish. Plenty of things to use as a better pullup bar, stout tree branch, playground equipment or do what I do use a 7 and a half foot car park height restriction bar in the car park near where I live. Makes interesting enteratinment for the locals I tell you.

ReputationRep:
    A bar is convenient, what a n00b post ^

And yah, it can break the frame, even if there is padding over the couse of a couple of years I had to keep tightening the bar and the frame is cracked, you want me to show pictures or what??

I have a powerbar and a normal bar, I never use my powerbar because

a) its wide as hell, and only fits in ONE door frame in my whole house
    b) cant be arsed to take it off and on every time I wanna use it (you can't close the door otherwise)
    c) did damaged to the top frame, not safe
    d) those morons had a refund guanrantee but wouldn't answer my calls or emails

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.