Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's only humanities students that could do it today, humanities students are like the neglected children of Manchester Uni. They love science people, we get all the ****!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it like that in real life.

ReputationRep:
    no, we're adored and hero-worshipped in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    no, we're adored and hero-worshipped in real life.
    All hail thee, dear humanities student! :top2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    All hail thee, dear humanities student! :top2:
    VERILY!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatwhichiam)
    Yes that. You might not be on it yet as a prospective student.
    Well when I first confirmed myself as a student it worked, and then any time I tried since it hasn't. I did think I'd wait til September though to see if it's updated, just in case.

ReputationRep:
    VERY IMPORTANT links for all current manchester humanities students

One: The Facebook Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110529781852

Two: The Questionnaire

http://windev.humanities.manchester....3LJ55351574K12

Please fill out this questionnaire in your most elaborately sarky tone. I wrote the most **** off message, and I feel a lot better about my wasted day.

ReputationRep:
    Is that a star trek symbol your making with hand?

P.S. Sadly, people don't seem to like geeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Is that a star trek symbol your making with hand?

P.S. Sadly, people don't seem to like geeks.
    Yes. It was for the geeks and chavs BOP. I'm not actually quite that much of a geek normally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Yes. It was for the geeks and chavs BOP. I'm not actually quite that much of a geek normally.
    Sadly, I'm a star trek geek. Well, I haven't watched the original series or Deep space nine. I don't see any chavs watching star trek. Whats so bad about being a geek? As my crappy primary school use to say "be kind to geeks as they will be your boss".

P.S. Do you go round correcting everyones grammar and spelling?
    P.P.S. I don't agree with my primary school.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, I'm a star trek geek. Well, I haven't watched the original series or Deep space nine. I don't see any chavs watching star trek. Whats so bad about being a geek? As my crappy primary school use to say "be kind to geeks as they will be your boss".

P.S. Do you go round correcting everyones grammar and spelling?
    P.P.S. I don't agree with my primary school.
    Nuffin wrong with being a bit geeky, I am, but not geeky enough to wear big gold-rimmed glasses, bunches with pencils stuck in them, and double 'go-forth-and-prosper' signs.

P.S. "everyone's". and not generally, why'd you ask?
    P.P.S. It is a bit of a bad thing to say to primary school children, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Nuffin wrong with being a bit geeky, I am, but not geeky enough to wear big gold-rimmed glasses, bunches with pencils stuck in them, and double 'go-forth-and-prosper' signs.
    I'm not a geek, well don't look like a geek. I thought girls can't be geeks or something along that line. Well, pretty girls can't.

Do you have to wear glasses? As if you do you should buy glasses similar to Sarah Palins. Luckly, my eyes aren't as bad as my sisters.

(Original post by OhNO!)
    P.S. "everyone's". and not generally, why'd you ask?
    P.P.S. It is a bit of a bad thing to say to primary school children, yes.
    I thought English students do that the time. However, that could just be subset of English students.

Think for yourself was the school motto. Did you have a school motto?

P.S. I thought everyone's= everyone is.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a geek, well don't look like a geek. I thought girls can't be geeks or something along that line. Well, pretty girls can't.

Do you have to wear glasses? As if you do you should buy glasses similar to Sarah Palins. Luckly, my eyes aren't as bad as my sisters.

I thought English students do that the time. However, that could just be subset of English students.

:rofl: :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    People on this forum. You can't compliment someone.

(Original post by jismith1989)
    :p:
    To be fair when I brought my glasses I made sure it look similar to sarah palins, well for boys obviously.

ReputationRep:

I am definitely a geek, and probably look a bit like one, too. No - I don't have to wear glasses, the ones in the picture were crappy plastic aviator sunglasses that we accidentally nicked off some boy in a club, with the lenses popped out.

I find bad grammar and punctuation irritating, but tend to ignore it. "everyone's" does mean "everyone is", but it also means like "belonging to everyone". So, "everyone's favourite cake.." or "everyone's local shop". You should put an apostrophe in for most situations like that, so "Sarah Palin's glasses". You don't do it for plurals (then it just goes on the end, no extra "s" ), or "its".

And my primary school motto was, "if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well". I think my secondary school's was something silly like "Putting women into the sciences" - which didn't work for me, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I am definitely a geek, and probably look a bit like one, too. No - I don't have to wear glasses, the ones in the picture were crappy plastic aviator sunglasses that we accidentally nicked off some boy in a club, with the lenses popped out.
    Well, that explains alot. But not why you made the Vulcan sign. I don't think you look like a geek. What was the music they where playing?

I find bad grammar and punctuation irritating, but tend to ignore it. "everyone's" does mean "everyone is", but it also means like "belonging to everyone". So, "everyone's favourite cake.." or "everyone's local shop". You should put an apostrophe in for most situations like that, so "Sarah Palin's glasses". You don't do it for plurals (then it just goes on the end, no extra "s" ), or "its".
    That makes sense. However, isn't that ambiguous. For example, everyone's cake. How do you know if your saying everyone is cake.

And my primary school motto was, "if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well". I think my secondary school's was something silly like "Putting women into the sciences" - which didn't work for me, obviously.
    Thats better then think for yourself. Espically, when the point of school is the opposite of thinking for yourself. All girls school? that would make your parents rich or you smart or that that I'm not Sherlock Holmes.

P.S. Should the "," be there after the was? As I thought you only do the comma if you can delete the bit and it still makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense. However, isn't that ambiguous. For example, everyone's cake. How do you know if your saying everyone is cake.

Thats better then think for yourself. Espically, when the point of school is the opposite of thinking for yourself. All girls school? that would make your parents rich or you smart or that that I'm not Sherlock Holmes.

P.S. Should the "," be there after the was? As I thought you only do the comma if you can delete the bit and it still makes sense.
    I don't know why you'd ever say "everyone is cake", but it's the same as homonyms like "knight" and "night" - the context tells you whether it means "belonging to everyone" or "everyone is". The other bit of punctuation you should learn is the difference between "your" and "you're"!!! They don't mean the same thing!

I'm not sure which "was" you're talking about, but a comma doesn't have to be used to separate two independently functioning clauses. they can be used to separate co-dependent clauses, or to insert a piece of additional information.

Yup, and all girls' school - it was private, but I had a partial scholarship so I suppose that makes my mum a bit rich, and me a bit smart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I don't know why you'd ever say "everyone is cake", but it's the same as homonyms like "knight" and "night" - the context tells you whether it means "belonging to everyone" or "everyone is". The other bit of punctuation you should learn is the difference between "your" and "you're"!!! They don't mean the same thing!
    But, knight and night is written differently. Note, I say everyone is cake all the time. Did I make the mistake of writing your instead of you're?

However, I do know the difference between your and you're. I really should sound out words when typing, do English student do that?

I'm not sure which "was" you're talking about, but a comma doesn't have to be used to separate two independently functioning clauses. they can be used to separate co-dependent clauses, or to insert a piece of additional information.
    Okay, but I was under the impression that you really should start a new sentence when adding additional information. But, what about the concept of breathing? I thought you need to put a full stop everytime the subject changes. Something about letting the person know when to breath.

Yup, and all girls' school - it was private, but I had a partial scholarship so I suppose that makes my mum a bit rich, and me a bit smart.
    I guess being a bit rich is better than being a bit poor. Whats it like in an all girls' school? as I heard all the girls get in trouble and its worse than a mix school.

P.S. I don't really say everyone is cake. But, I might start saying that.

ReputationRep:
    Crashed on me on Monday morning, then tried every day at various times and wouldn't work. A course unit I wanted to do was then filled up, was angry at the principle of the situation but I might be in Hong Kong anyway when I was meant to be doing the module, so can't complain too much.

ReputationRep:
    But, knight and night is written differently. Note, I say everyone is cake all the time. Did I make the mistake of writing your instead of you're?
    yeah, but in speech they sound the same, right? But you usually know what people mean - it's the same thing, you work out the meaning from the context. And yeah, you did -

"How do you know if your saying everyone is cake."

It should be, "How do you know if YOU'RE saying everyone is cake".

Okay, but I was under the impression that you really should start a new sentence when adding additional information. But, what about the concept of breathing? I thought you need to put a full stop everytime the subject changes. Something about letting the person know when to breath.
    You should start a new sentence when you're moving on to talk about something a little bit different, or when you're finished making that one point. Commas are used as little breathing stops as well as full stops. If you wanted to say something like, "The fireman, aged 47, was very brave" - there commas have been used to insert a bit of extra information (the "aged 47" bit).

I guess being a bit rich is better than being a bit poor. Whats it like in an all girls' school? as I heard all the girls get in trouble and its worse than a mix school.

P.S. I don't really say everyone is cake. But, I might start saying that.
    No, it was very nice. No-one got in trouble, unless you're using "in trouble" as a euphemism for pregnant. One girl did get pregnant, but she left our school before she got all knocked up.

P.S. Alright.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.