Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm the first person to admit that I have a truly terrible diet and that does need to change. I do no exercise (but will start over the summer for definite), and pretty much do not eat anything I should do.

I went for my Pill Check this morning and was told that my blood pressure is slightly higher than what it should be for someone my age. I'm sure this is down to the fact that I've put on an awful lot of weight in the last six-twelve months and do next to no exercise.

I want to try to get back down to the weight I was in around May/June last year, or at least close to (35lbs is just over half a stone less than what I was then), by my next pill check, in about six months.

Is this possible? Can someone please suggest some ways of getting started?

I don't normally eat breakfast, which I know I should start doing, my lunch is usually a toasted muffin with some cheese or a toasted sandwich, and some form of pasta dish for dinner. I'd normally have, perhaps, a bag of Quavers as a snack during the day.

Yes, I am aware that I am not getting the nutrients from fruit and vegetables. I am incredibly fussy when it comes to food - I don't like fruit or vegetables, and I don't like meat when it's just like Roast Beef or whatever because of the texture, I do eat mince meat from my local Butcher etc so I am still eating 'proper' meat. Would taking Vitamin supplements be an okay substitute at least for now, until I can work my way up to eating fruit and vegetables?

Sorry it's long. Thanks for any suggestions

ReputationRep:
    Some guy that phones in on radio1 joined weight watchers or something similar. He's lost 3 stone 9 pounds in about 6 months. (edit - typo and put 9)

He was just short of 23 stone to begin with though...

At first he just changed his diet and played football once a week. Now he goes to gym as well though.

I'm not overly sure about what to eat, but definately just go for walks and eat right! Someone will give a decent diet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beffnee)
    Okay so I'm the first person to admit that I have a truly terrible diet and that does need to change. I do no exercise (but will start over the summer for definite), and pretty much do not eat anything I should do.

I went for my Pill Check this morning and was told that my blood pressure is slightly higher than what it should be for someone my age. I'm sure this is down to the fact that I've put on an awful lot of weight in the last six-twelve months and do next to no exercise.

I want to try to get back down to the weight I was in around May/June last year, or at least close to (35lbs is just over half a stone less than what I was then), by my next pill check, in about six months.

Is this possible? Can someone please suggest some ways of getting started?

I don't normally eat breakfast, which I know I should start doing, my lunch is usually a toasted muffin with some cheese or a toasted sandwich, and some form of pasta dish for dinner. I'd normally have, perhaps, a bag of Quavers as a snack during the day.

Yes, I am aware that I am not getting the nutrients from fruit and vegetables. I am incredibly fussy when it comes to food - I don't like fruit or vegetables, and I don't like meat when it's just like Roast Beef or whatever because of the texture, I do eat mince meat from my local Butcher etc so I am still eating 'proper' meat. Would taking Vitamin supplements be an okay substitute at least for now, until I can work my way up to eating fruit and vegetables?

Sorry it's long. Thanks for any suggestions
    Probably - it's about 5 or 6 pounds a month so it's achievable however, I am curious as to why you would take vitamin supplements when you are not deficient in any vitamins? I am a strong believer in not taking things that you don't need and unless you are told to take vitamins for a specific deficiency I see no need to. You may not feel like you get many but you only need them in very small amounts and they are in lots of different foods.

Having said that, you should try to eat fruit and veg. Is there any that you like at all? Maybe try experimenting with different/exotic fruits or try putting vegetables into other dishes where the taste isn't so obvious?

ReputationRep:
    That is definitely achievable.

Set yourself weight loss targets. And make sure you hit a loss of 6 lbs per month. And weekly your aiming for a 1 1/2 to 2lbs loss.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 1-2 lb/week of fat is doable. Read http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...27&postcount=8 and follow it.

Eat clean, lift heavy, lose fat.

ReputationRep:
    For the fruit- i hate fruit personally, its more the texture than anything. To make up for this i try and drink a glass of innocent smoothie a day which is equal to two portions of fruit. Drink it with a straw if you dont like bits on your smoothie

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Personally, I joined Slimming World cos i knew I wasn't strong enough to do it on my own. I actually go with my mum and a friend so we're there to encourage each other etc But i've actually managed to lose half a stone in just 2 weeks with it, so it seems to be working! Pretty much what i do is chop up some fruit and put it into a bowl and pour some mullerlight yoghurt over it for breakfast, have some pasta salad or something (but no creamy sauces!) for lunch and then just have a normal healthy dinner. The amazing thing about Slimming World is that you can eat whatever you want pretty much. It's called Food Optimising, so if you just plan, it's amazing. You can even have a bag of Quavers every day cos they're one of the recommended crisps to eat if you want some crisps cos they're quite low in fat etc!
    I'd also recommend exercising around 30mins 3 times a week and then gradually build that up as your fitness improves. Just going for a 30 min walk every other day makes such a difference!!

I really hope it works out for you and good luck! PM if you want to talk about anything

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Firstly, how much do you weigh now? What's your BMI?
    I gave myself a year to lose 3 stone, purely because I know that I wouldn't be losing weight each week with without fail. I didn't want to set an unrealistic goal and end up disappointed. Maybe this is something to think about.

What exercise do you do? I've found exercise to be the key to my personal weightloss. I don't lose anything if I don't exercise. Aim for a minimum of 20 minutes 3 times a week of 'high intensity' exercise - basically, something that gets you hot, sweaty and out of breath.

Diet wise, you need to be clear on things that you possibly won't eat at all. Personally, I've found it very difficult without a bar of chocolate every now and then, so the key is to be absolutely motivated to make a permanent change in your diet rather than see it as 'in 6 months, it'll all be over' - because once you're overweight, it's a lot lot harder to maintain a lower weight. I rarely eat chocolate - it's just too fattening and I don't have that many 'points' to play with anymore.

To be honest, it's the vegetables that help to bulk out your meal. I've been on Weight Watchers for the past 12 months, and have lost 3st. Without vegetables and plenty of them, you may struggle. Vegetables are brilliant because they're virtually 'free' foods (not including potato) so you can munch away on them til the cows come home. It's important when losing weight, to never let yourself feel like you've not been satisfied. If you go to bed hungry, you're not doing it right. It's imperative you find some vegetables you're prepared to eat. I couldn't cope losing 3st without vegetables as there's not an awful lot else you can eat in such quantities if you want to.

Do you eat chicken and fish? These are 2 good sources of protein and fish has essential fatty oils too, so it's brilliant - again, in moderation, and with chicken, have it grilled or roasted without the skin (of course!).

ReputationRep:
    In 5 months i've lost 45 lbs but my lifestyles used to be absolutely appaling.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.