The Student Room Group

Need translation into Japanese, Important

Hey, I need a translation from english to japanese, it's really important to me and i dont want to post on the thread what the translation is, but does anyone know someone who could help me out? It's quite complex, I speak japanese myself but not too sure on how to translate allll of this. Just to let you know, it's for a tattoo that's why i need it to be perfect. I already have some translations but not sure if they are correct, any help?
Many Thanks
Meh, I'll have a look.

Fyi, please don't get a tatoo in Japanese. Not only will you be removed from an onsen, you'll be laughed out too.
Reply 2
I know i know, i've heard this time and time over again, but i'm sure you understand that it's my choice and i'm not just getting a tattoo for the sake of it, i have a reason.
Reply 3
guy_incognito
Meh, I'll have a look.

Fyi, please don't get a tatoo in Japanese. Not only will you be removed from an onsen, you'll be laughed out too.

Are you in Japland at the moment, or planning to go soon? If so, don't do it till you get back at least, after some serious thought.

If you aren't, then it doesn't really matter now.
Funny things tattoos in Japan. If its non-visible in daily life you should be okay. However if its visible, you'll probably be disbarred from working and joining some gyms and sports clubs, because some companies and businesses have a policy of no-tattoos (although in effect some are more liberal than others.)

When I applied for some summer work in Japan, the company asked me if I had any revealing tattoos, presumably not to upset any Japanese sensibilities.

Attitudes are changing though. Young persons can probably get away with it. But don't bank on the older generation sharing this attitude.
Reply 5
Yeah, tatts still have old yakuza associations and stuff. But if OP isn't going to/in Japland, no worries.
Reply 6
I've been to Japan and intend on visiting/living there a lot. But the tattoo isn't going to be on my arm or anything, it wont be visible. What I don't understand though, is that I'm sure tattoos have been in Japan several years, so is it only the Yakuza that created the stigma?
Reply 7
It's one of several reasons. Like outlawing during the meiji period, marking criminals way back and stuffs. It's just ingrained into culture to be weary of tattoos due to certain associations.

If you want kanji or something on your upper arm, and a few younger people may like it, be interested etc. but that's about it, with the young being a bit more liberal in terms of acceptance.

But, like incog said, there is a good chance that you will not be joining gyms, sports centers, or entering onsen etc. You won't be entering any decent ones at least. Some employers may not bother with you because of your tattoos.

Seriously though, I'd give this some serious thought, getting kanji, or something like that may seem deep and trendy to the average westerner, but it is really corny. Imagine someone you know getting a tattoo that just saying "Dragon Honour Fish" or "Churchill War Victory".

What do you want to get, and why? Be honest. If you want to move to Japland, unless attitudes have changed it probably won't be worth the hassle.

Latest

Trending

Trending