Turn on thread page Beta

Law & A Level Subjects watch

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    That's a very good combination (but only if you truly like those subjects). It also leaves the door open to other courses if you change your mind (you could do Physics, History, English, any number of social sciences, Philosophy, Geology, Maths [at some unis]... all sorts). Just make sure you do well in them!

ReputationRep:
    Your subjects are the SHIZZ.

Nearly the same that I took (ICT instead of Physics for the lulz and coursework joy).

Your subjects are fine.

There's really no point in me writing a more elaborate post.

Maths according to admission tutors shows logic which wil help with Law while History and English Literature will help you develop your essay writing skills and I know nothing about Physics but it is respected so don't worry about your subject choices and good luck with your results.

ReputationRep:
    They're absolutely fine - very academic, respected and they show a range of skills. Just make sure you do really well in them, as you'll be needing a few As

(Original post by scholarshipkid)
    Thanks all, I really appreciate the replys!

Did you find it easy to apply to University to do Law? What about the LNAT? Also, how much/what work experience would you recommend?
    I'd say don't worry about it for now.

Applying for Law is definitely not easy because it's one of the most competitive courses applied for.

You only need to do the LNAT if they university you are applying to requires it and for thoe aplying this year Cambridge no longer requires it so who knows by the time you are applying the number of universities that require it may have declined.

If you want to find out more about it the website is www.lnat.ac.uk

and the universities that require it for 2010 entry are:

University of Birmingham
    University of Bristol
    Durham University
    NUI Maynooth (mature entry only)
    University of Glasgow
    King's College London
    University of Leeds
    University of Nottingham
    University of Oxford
    University College London

Admission tutors realise that work experience is hard to get and that many people who do have work experience get them through family ties so it's not that important.

However the only work experience I had was voluntary work with my local Citizens Advice Bureau while someone on here did work experience with the CPS and some others simply did work experience with law firms however mainly high street firms and small firms offer work experience while the bigger ones are more likely to offer to those currently at university.

Hope this helps.

(Original post by scholarshipkid)
    Yes, thanks for all the help! I have done a bit of work experience but was just worried about how little!
    Another big concern for me is money (or lack of), hence 'scholarshipkid' as username. I've come a long way from my underpreforming state comprehensive, through sheer hard work (and yes I did have to go through all the name calling etc) but I know it will be worth it in the end...hopefully.
    Can you give me any examples of people you know, their salary and age and area of Law? I am most interested in commercial and chancery from my work experience placement.
    I know you're new but if you want to get people to reply quicker or to ensure they see your post it's best to quote them by clikcing on the quote button for the post you want to reply to.

You shouldn't go into law just for the money alone because otherwise you'll end up hating it and if you think you don't really have any interest in law besides for the financial benefits it might be best to do another degree you actually like and then do a conversion course.

What exactly do you mean by money is a big concern? Do you mean that besides the personal issues of it you're worried law might not be a lucrative career or you're worried that you might not be able to afford the degree?

I personally don't know anyone in the leal field however a quick internet search is enough to provide you with information.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1769470.ece

Starting salary for some firms are:

City FirmsSalaryTrainingFirm of the Year ScoresBenefitsFirm name Salary
    (1st seat trainee) Salary
    (NQ) Salary
    (1PQE) Salary
    (2PQE) Salary
    (3PQE)
    Addleshaw Goddard £36,000 £64,000 £73,500 £78,000 £83,250
    Allen & Overy £38,000 £60,000 £65,000 £71,500 £84,000
    Ashurst £37,000 £64,000 £68,000 £78,000 £86,000
    Baker & McKenzie £36,500 £59,000 £64,000 £68,000 £78,000
    Barlow Lyde & Gilbert £32,000 £58,000 £62,000 £66,000 £69,000
    Beachcroft £29,000 £48,000 £50,000 £52,500 £57,000
    Berwin Leighton Paisner £37,000 £65,000 £70,000 £75,000 £82,000
    Bird & Bird £37,000 £60,000 £66,000 £71,000 £77,000
    Bristows £33,000 £53,500 £59,000 £64,000 £71,000
    Charles Russell £32,500 £59,000 £63,000 £65,000 £70,000
    Clifford Chance £37,400 £59,000 £68,700 £82,200 £89,500
    Clyde & Co £35,000 £64,000 £66,000 £70,000 £75,000
    CMS Cameron McKenna £37,500 £66,000 £68,000 £71,100 £78,600
    Debevoise & Plimpton N/A £82,000 £92,000 £104,000 £116,000
    Dechert £36,000 £67,750 £73,000 £84,000 £91,000
    Denton Wilde Sapte £36,000 £62,000 £65,000 £73,000 £77,000
    DLA Piper £36,000 £63,000 £66,000 £72,000 £78,000
    Eversheds £35,000 £62,000 £64,000 £68,500 £77,000
    Farrers £29,500 £47,000 £52,000 £57,000 £61,000
    Field Fisher Waterhouse £35,000 £62,000 £64,000 £68,000 £71,000

and you can find some more here http://www.rollonfriday.com/InsideIn...8/Default.aspx

There's also this

Nigel Boardman, 57, £2.3m
    Boardman is the best-known lawyer in the City. As Slaughter and May’s star dealmaker, he fought off Sir Philip Green’s £9 billion bid for M&S, negotiated the £420m financing of Arsenal’s Emirates stadium, and is currently advising BHP‑Billiton on their £70 billion hostile bid for Rio Tinto. He personifies the strong work ethos of the firm. One story tells of the trainee who shared his office getting up to leave at 8pm. As he reached for his coat, Boardman asked, “Are you cold?” He describes his 80-hour-a-week work schedule as “fun”. Boardman is fiercely loyal to his clients, which include 12 FTSE100 companies: “If I act for M&S, I buy my clothes at M&S, if I act for Shell, I stop at Shell petrol stations. I identify with them. I share their misfortunes and their excesses.” He even waves the Arsenal flag at most home games. He sometimes escapes to a holiday home in Aveyron, in the Midi-Pyrénées, near two other Slaughter and May partners. He is a father of six.

David Cheyne, 58, £1.8m
    From a military family, Cheyne now commands an army of 2,500 lawyers at Linklaters, where he is senior partner. He was delighted when The Sunday Times put his as the only “magic circle” law firm in the 100 Best Companies to Work For, and believes “change needs to be constant”. This has required “de-equitising” partners to improve the firm’s profitability. “When I joined in 1972, I was not expected to work very hard, and didn’t: I wasn’t paid very much.” His first salary was £950 a year. Things soon changed. Was he noticeably more ambitious and aggressive than his contemporaries? “Yes.” And as a boss? “I am not unduly tolerant of someone who doesn’t learn very, very quickly.”

He has three sons: one in the army, one a hedge-fund manager, one a student. He takes three-week holidays in April and August, and has homes in Henley and Notting Hill. “I shoot and I collect things: antiques, paintings. My wife describes me as an accumulator.”

Alan Paul, 54, £1.6m
    Not one of those lawyers who, he says, “has huge self-confidence even when they don’t know what they are doing”. Paul led Allen & Overy’s M&A practice to the top of the 2007 dealmaking tables, advising ABN AMRO on its £49 billion takeover by the Royal Bank of Scotland, which beat Barclays to the prize in the first competitive, hostile bid for a leading bank in the EU. He also advised Reuters on its £8.7 billion acquisition by Thomson.

He strongly believes that team strength is more important than the individual. “You’d be a nutcase to do this job if you didn’t enjoy it: you spend so much of your life working. I believe in balance, although my wife would say it doesn’t show much.”

At 13, he had a trial as a professional footballer. He now spends time watching his three boys and one girl (“all too sensible to be lawyers” ) playing sport. He has a house in Roehampton, London, and is looking to buy one in France. He plays golf “badly”.

all found here http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4303609.ece

ReputationRep:
    Them salaries are stupid.
    I'm going to be doing Law at Uni too, after the next two years of A-Levels i'm taking;
    History
    Politics
    Psychology
    Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Gooooood subjects. Good strong subjects! Almost the same as mine apart from I'm going to do Art instead of Physics...

(Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Them salaries are stupid.
    I'm going to be doing Law at Uni too, after the next two years of A-Levels i'm taking;
    History
    Politics
    Psychology
    Economics.
    What exactly do you mean by the salaries are stupid?

ReputationRep:
    Their salaries are huge.

(Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Their salaries are huge.
    Well not all lawyers earn that much.

ReputationRep:
    Most earn about 40-60k i think.
    People for the first 5 years earn probably around 30-40k obviously dependent on which firm and area of expertise.

ReputationRep:
    That is a very good combination, and universities do consider those subjects respected. Now just concentratrate on getting those grades

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.