Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

I am a bit confused as to which universty i want to go to. I went to the Kent open day and thought the uni looked perfect, i really liked it. However from my 5 universities i have applied to i have not seen two of them and just wondered if anyone else visited them and had an opinion.
    I know posting on kent uni is bound to give some biased opinions but none the less any opinion would be good.

I am prediciting realistically that i will get ABB

My five universities are:

Kent - ABB
    Exeter - AAB
    Southampton - AAB
    Warwick - ABB (with science , which i have , biology)
    York - ABB

I did not get to see York or Warwick.

What are your thoughts on any of these universities, from social life to the campus and accomadation. Any further information about kent is always good

I am going to study psychology btw

ReputationRep:
    well, i'm not at kent yet but in a similar predicament to you. i have 5 uni choices as well including york and kent as 2 of them. originally i confirmed york but have since decided i would prefer kent because of the course and the area in general. york is a lovely uni, it's one of the top for psychology too i think but the campus isn't as decent as the one kent has. there is a lake at york and lots of cute ducks but that's about it. the town is quite similar to canterbury, however, if you want more info on york or any of the other unis then i suggest posting on their respective message boards. kent has a very green campus, is situated in a historic town and is only about 2 hrs away from london. I don't know much about the other unis you've mentioned (they all sound very impressive though) but it is important that you go visit them all if you possibly can. Is there a particular area in psychology you are interested in? if so why not have a look at which uni has more modules in that area etc. from what i've heard the social life is great at both york and kent. they both have tons of societies too. good luck (i'm probs really not the best person to have replied since i haven't been to uni yet so sorry about that) .
    oh and at york there is somewhat of a collegiate system but it's not taken into account the same as oxford or cambridge. there is some friendly rivalry between the colleges though.

ReputationRep:
    oh kl,, i was thinking about how similar York is to Canterbury. Thanks for the opinion. I think there is an open day for that in september so i will pop along to that and see what it is like.

I think Kent would be the best option so far cause its entry requirements is my grade boundary atm and plus i generally liked the uni and the campus.

What universities are you looking at and for what course?

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked York University, visually more aesthetic than Canterbury! I've only been there a couple times though, to visit a friend who goes there, so it's all a bit of a drunken blur :yep: Errrrm the cities themselves are VERY different however. I mean Canterbury (a city by default, due to the cathedral) only has 40k people at the most, York has nearly 5 times that many people living there. Plus Canterbury is incredibly easy to get to London from, especially with the HS1 line built now.

If you think Kent would suit you more academically, i'd go for it (not that i'm biased at all...:P), purely just because I personally prefer it being relatively small and quiet, and closer to home, than York!

ReputationRep:
    I visited Warwick and didn't like it. Academically, it is good, but the whole campus feels small and bubble like....I just didn't get a good feel for it *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bh_92)
    oh kl,, i was thinking about how similar York is to Canterbury. Thanks for the opinion. I think there is an open day for that in september so i will pop along to that and see what it is like.

I think Kent would be the best option so far cause its entry requirements is my grade boundary atm and plus i generally liked the uni and the campus.

What universities are you looking at and for what course?
    I looked at York, Kent, UEA, Surrey and Royal Holloway. I had slightly different courses for the universities (some criminology and sociology, 1 psychology and sociology and 1 psychology on its own). However, I've decided to switch courses to politics and international relations with a year abroad. Kent has some fantastic places to go abroad for some of its courses and whilst it was easy for me to switch course there it was harder to try at York as they required higher grades. Definitely go and see them all before you make a decision but if you have a gut feeling for Kent then go for it . you can always make it your second choice anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to warn you against York right now.
    I know two people (my sister, and my friend) who had the choice between Kent and York, and chose York. Both of them regret it.
    My friend did her foundation at Kent and went to York for undergrad, she says Kent was so much better in terms of the people, although York is very academically impressive. My sister hated York for the three years she was there, and wishes she had chosen Kent instead.
    90% of the people are spoilt rich kids, I don't know why, but it's true. This is from the experience of two students, and my own observations when I went there.
    Warwick has a really nice campus, I hear it's a friendly, good uni.
    Kent is great, the people are amazing.
    I didn't visit Exeter, but I hear it's a nice uni.
    I know nothing about Southampton.

I really, really recommend Kent, or Warwick if your heart isn't set on Kent.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys,, i think kent is the uni for me after seeing it on the open day and just thinking about it now.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.