Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to start running, but i'm useless without some motivation to push me. I found a race which is 2 miles, but it is 3 weeks away. I'm not completely unfit, i dance a lot, but have never run, and when i do run for the bus or whatnot, i'm not that good! Is it possible to train in 3 weeks, or is it going to take much longer?

There is a 5 mile one at the beginning of October too (but i've just realised that is miles not km!!).

ReputationRep:
    You could do it easily tbh. Start with a shorter distance like 1 mile or 1.5 miles, run it at least once a day and aim to complete the distance without stopping. Then, once you feel you've made progress (probably after the first week) start running 2 miles (or further) again trying to complete the run without stopping. In general I'd try to make sure I could go over race distance at a good pace without stopping.

Again for the 5 mile race do the same but over longer distances. For warmups do a light jog for ~4 minutes, stretch and then begin your run.

ReputationRep:
    2 miles is nothing really, just pace yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Don't need to do any training. Just turn up on the day, and the adrenaline etc. should be sufficient motivation.

Works for me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I've booked my place on the race, so now i just have to start training. Will start with just walking/jogging for 20 mins in the local park. Hopefully by week 3 I can jog the whole 2 miles in about 25 minutes.

I don't really know how long 2 miles should take, any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    a brisk walk is about 4mph, so base it on that. 25 mins is pretty liberal for 2 miles unless you're quite out of shape.

ReputationRep:
    I do a 2.7 mile Fun Run every year that I don't do any training for. At 13st 10ib i'm not exactly what you'd call a long-distance runner, this year it took me about 25 minutes. Hence for your 2-mile one, a decent time I would recommend as 15-16 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    easily under 20 mins i would say.
    make sure you line up towards the back of the pack and just try and enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callused)
    a brisk walk is about 4mph, so base it on that. 25 mins is pretty liberal for 2 miles unless you're quite out of shape.
    Without taking into account undulations, that is!

One of the things that I always found helped me was running with another person/people; not sure why but they can just tow you along for longer/at a faster pace than you would be able to otherwise. Like many things in running, a mental thing no doubt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    Thanks everyone. I've booked my place on the race, so now i just have to start training. Will start with just walking/jogging for 20 mins in the local park. Hopefully by week 3 I can jog the whole 2 miles in about 25 minutes.

I don't really know how long 2 miles should take, any ideas?
    I think 20 minutes or so is a reasonable time to do 2 miles in for someone who's fairly new to running. So i think with some good practise your time is defintiely achievable

Obviously the lads are going to say 15minutes, but the average girl off the street trying to run 2 miles isn't going to be able to go from nothing to having a 7minute mile in 3 wks unless you're already fairly fit.. even at my fittest i couldn't do that!! :o: But then i have little legs :p:

ReputationRep:
    2 miles...serious? You could prob do that straight away in sub 20mins if you pushed yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    2 miles...serious? You could prob do that straight away in sub 20mins if you pushed yourself.
    I really couldn't! :p: It's weird, i can do dance classes for hours and hours, but running i really struggle with.

Thanks everyone. Will be aiming to build up to 20 minutes and hopefully not come last in the race :p: I don't really care, i just want to take part and use it for motivation.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.