Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to start running, but i'm useless without some motivation to push me. I found a race which is 2 miles, but it is 3 weeks away. I'm not completely unfit, i dance a lot, but have never run, and when i do run for the bus or whatnot, i'm not that good! Is it possible to train in 3 weeks, or is it going to take much longer?

There is a 5 mile one at the beginning of October too (but i've just realised that is miles not km!!).

ReputationRep:
    You could do it easily tbh. Start with a shorter distance like 1 mile or 1.5 miles, run it at least once a day and aim to complete the distance without stopping. Then, once you feel you've made progress (probably after the first week) start running 2 miles (or further) again trying to complete the run without stopping. In general I'd try to make sure I could go over race distance at a good pace without stopping.

Again for the 5 mile race do the same but over longer distances. For warmups do a light jog for ~4 minutes, stretch and then begin your run.

ReputationRep:
    2 miles is nothing really, just pace yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Don't need to do any training. Just turn up on the day, and the adrenaline etc. should be sufficient motivation.

Works for me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I've booked my place on the race, so now i just have to start training. Will start with just walking/jogging for 20 mins in the local park. Hopefully by week 3 I can jog the whole 2 miles in about 25 minutes.

I don't really know how long 2 miles should take, any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    a brisk walk is about 4mph, so base it on that. 25 mins is pretty liberal for 2 miles unless you're quite out of shape.

ReputationRep:
    I do a 2.7 mile Fun Run every year that I don't do any training for. At 13st 10ib i'm not exactly what you'd call a long-distance runner, this year it took me about 25 minutes. Hence for your 2-mile one, a decent time I would recommend as 15-16 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    easily under 20 mins i would say.
    make sure you line up towards the back of the pack and just try and enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callused)
    a brisk walk is about 4mph, so base it on that. 25 mins is pretty liberal for 2 miles unless you're quite out of shape.
    Without taking into account undulations, that is!

One of the things that I always found helped me was running with another person/people; not sure why but they can just tow you along for longer/at a faster pace than you would be able to otherwise. Like many things in running, a mental thing no doubt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    Thanks everyone. I've booked my place on the race, so now i just have to start training. Will start with just walking/jogging for 20 mins in the local park. Hopefully by week 3 I can jog the whole 2 miles in about 25 minutes.

I don't really know how long 2 miles should take, any ideas?
    I think 20 minutes or so is a reasonable time to do 2 miles in for someone who's fairly new to running. So i think with some good practise your time is defintiely achievable

Obviously the lads are going to say 15minutes, but the average girl off the street trying to run 2 miles isn't going to be able to go from nothing to having a 7minute mile in 3 wks unless you're already fairly fit.. even at my fittest i couldn't do that!! :o: But then i have little legs :p:

ReputationRep:
    2 miles...serious? You could prob do that straight away in sub 20mins if you pushed yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    2 miles...serious? You could prob do that straight away in sub 20mins if you pushed yourself.
    I really couldn't! :p: It's weird, i can do dance classes for hours and hours, but running i really struggle with.

Thanks everyone. Will be aiming to build up to 20 minutes and hopefully not come last in the race :p: I don't really care, i just want to take part and use it for motivation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.