Turn on thread page Beta

Legs still ache from Saturday watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to lose fat at the moment with healthy/less eating and exercise (On day 9) and I've been jogging on the treadmill most days, but obviously I'm still very unfit.

On Saturday I did 10 minutes of bodyweight squats as well as the jogging, which I've never done before.

Yesterday my legs were really sore so I didn't do any jogging, and today they're still aching. Went on a walk this morning to see if that might help.

Is this normal?

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Of course they're going to still ache if your, in your words, unfit and have never done them before.

ReputationRep:
    Hi sorry I don't really know much about fitness etc but when I used to start running again after a break my legs would sometimes hurt after it for a while. I used to find it helpful to try and stretch them a bit and go for a walk to make the pain go away quicker.

I think the walk was a good idea and your legs should feel better soon. Did you make sure you cooled down enough after the jogging as I used to find my legs hurt more if I just stopped running and then sat down, having not cooled down properly.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly normal, your legs will adjust quickly. Get on the HIIT as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
    Perfectly normal, your legs will adjust quickly. Get on the HIIT as well.
    Yeah, I've read about that on here. I do it some days, for 20 minutes. It's tough!

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine, you will probably do it next time and there will be hardly any ache at all.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, unweighed squats?

Or with your bodyweight on your shoulders?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, don't worry. In fact, after lifting weights I used to find that 2 days after my workout was when they hurt the most. You'll be fine tomorrow.

When you do regular exercise you should stop getting this ache, obviously that depends on a lot of things, like how you exercise and how often.

I'm back to doing squats every 2 days, the intensity stays about the same, and the ache's have gone. But to begin with I struggled to walk 2 days after training, so I had to wait until the 3rd day afterwards until I squatted again. Then I was ok.
    If you worked your legs say once a week, they will probably ache for 2 days of the week (following 2 days after exercise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)
    Yeah, I've read about that on here. I do it some days, for 20 minutes. It's tough!
    It is. 20 minutes seems a tad long though, HIIT sessions are generally supposed to be quite short, say 15 min max. 20 minutes suggests you might not be working intensely enough, which is the whole point of the exercise. I'd cut down that time to at least 15 minutes, and really go flat out, maybe decrease the length of your resting periods slightly. If you can find somewhere suitable to run outdoors that's preferable to doling it on a treadmill in a gym, plus it's free.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a wii? If so, I'd recommend you buy the Wii Active. Its great fun and it really keeps you motivated. And the weight just falls off. :p:

As for your aches, you'll likely be fine tomorrow. Do some stretches to release the lactic acid out from your muscles and have a day or two break from excerise in the mean time.

Well done for making it to day 9, the first week is always the hardest. Good luck with the rest of your weight loss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
    It is. 20 minutes seems a tad long though, HIIT sessions are generally supposed to be quite short, say 15 min max. 20 minutes suggests you might not be working intensely enough, which is the whole point of the exercise. I'd cut down that time to at least 15 minutes, and really go flat out, maybe decrease the length of your resting periods slightly. If you can find somewhere suitable to run outdoors that's preferable to doling it on a treadmill in a gym, plus it's free.
    I don't think that's always true.

When I do HIIT it generally lasts 30 minutes, but that takes into account my initial jog and stretch. So I'd say my actual session is 20 minutes long.

What I find is that when I get really tired I get sort of in a zone, and sort of angry (the music helps for adrenaline too) at the thought of giving up at that point, so I try even harder until I just can't run any faster. Also, because you're already tired, you don't think 'oh great i've got to run in 10 seconds', you just kind of start doing it without really thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    I don't think that's always true.

When I do HIIT it generally lasts 30 minutes, but that takes into account my initial jog and stretch. So I'd say my actual session is 20 minutes long.

What I find is that when I get really tired I get sort of in a zone, and sort of angry (the music helps for adrenaline too) at the thought of giving up at that point, so I try even harder until I just can't run any faster. Also, because you're already tired, you don't think 'oh great i've got to run in 10 seconds', you just kind of start doing it without really thinking.
    If you're doing HIIT running every working interval should really be as fast as you can, that's why it's high intensity. Generally the more intense the exercise the shorter the time you can carry on doing it, hence why HIIT training is supposed to be short, it's not about endurance, it's about being an intense as you can manage.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I think you missed my point, but alright :\

ReputationRep:
    10 mins of body weight squats? What? Im assuming you mean unweighted squats...

ReputationRep:
    It happens when you don't excercise all the time/ keep to a routine. Your body needs to get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I go Spinning and when I've done it two days in a row my legs are very stiff the next day I would be concerned if they weren't a bit sore :p:

ReputationRep:
    my legs are killing me after t4 yesterday, didnt even walk much, just standing for 9 hours (alot of which on tiptoes) ! ouchy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    I go Spinning and when I've done it two days in a row my legs are very stiff the next day I would be concerned if they weren't a bit sore :p:
    ive only done spinning once and this fitness coach pushed us all too hard and i couldnt walk properly for about a week :redface:

OP : if your legs ache try and do some stretches and possibly even a light jog just to keep the exercise up and shouldnt make them ache too much more.

as you get used to it youre legs wont ache as much as long as you do exercise regularly.
    im fit and sporty but havent done much exercise in a couple of weeks and my legs are still a bit stiff from a jog on saturday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    ive only done spinning once and this fitness coach pushed us all too hard and i couldnt walk properly for about a week :redface:

OP : if your legs ache try and do some stretches and possibly even a light jog just to keep the exercise up and shouldnt make them ache too much more.

as you get used to it youre legs wont ache as much as long as you do exercise regularly.
    im fit and sporty but havent done much exercise in a couple of weeks and my legs are still a bit stiff from a jog on saturday
    There is no such thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    There is no such thing
    lol fine. too hard for our liking and for me to be able to walk properly or do anything physical for another 4 days

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.