Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    To be fair to Laura Spence, she didn't kick up a fuss. It was her headteacher and Gordon Brown. I think all she's ever said on the matter was that she could see why Oxford rejected her and that she is (now) probably glad that they did.
    My memory's a bit murky on this, but I *think* she did initially give interviews during which she said more than just that - which was probably a bit unwise but understandable at the time, I suppose.

Wasn't there also a slightly dodgy story about supposedly leaked interview notes, according to which Laura "appeared to be lacking confidence, like many state-school applicants", so someone took offence at the second bit and claimed it was proof that she had been unfairly discriminated against? Or am I imagining this?

ReputationRep:
    Here she is with her results all those years ago

and last year, graduating with a Medicine degree:

Doesnt look much different considering its been about 10 years.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    she's aged really well
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm sure she'll be glad to hear that...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Gordon Brown is jealous that he didn't get into Oxford either?

But this story is pretty ridiculous considering lots of other applicants with flawless academics get rejected at interview.

ReputationRep:
    Who neg repped me for this thread?! What was that about..?!

ReputationRep:
    I live about 5 minutes from the school she went to.

Just thought you guys would like to know that.

I'll go now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    This is largely because not enough applicants come from a variety of backgrounds and classes. Sure, private school students might be better prepared for interview, but the fact remains that Oxbridge have no chance in hell of hitting the absurd targets set for them until they receive significantly more high-quality, state-educated applicants. The problem is not the universities but our secondary education system.
    + rep for that truthful comment. I remember watching this topic being discussed on Question Time a couple of weeks ago and it really needs to be addressed. Oxbridge are two of the world's greatest universities and Britain should be proud of them and cherish their standing; the only thing to lament is Britain's failed secondary education system as provided by the State.

(Original post by hobnob)
    Presumably some Durham applicants didn't actually apply to Oxford or Cambridge in the first place. It happens, you know...
    Whaaaaattt?! Nooo. :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't there also a slightly dodgy story about supposedly leaked interview notes, according to which Laura "appeared to be lacking confidence, like many state-school applicants", so someone took offence at the second bit and claimed it was proof that she had been unfairly discriminated against? Or am I imagining this?
    I seem to remember something like that - some radio journalist found them or something. And that just led to more hype.

And yes, she subsequently did grad medicine at Cambridge and graduated (with distinction) in that sexy pink hood last year. (I have one of those, I can be smug about it sometimes)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I seem to remember something like that - some radio journalist found them or something. And that just led to more hype.
    Well, I doubt they were "found" just by accident...
    And yes, she subsequently did grad medicine at Cambridge and graduated (with distinction) in that sexy pink hood last year. (I have one of those, I can be smug about it sometimes)
    Yes, and that time the story made it into the papers but fizzed out quite quickly - probably because she (sensibly) refused to play along.
    By the way, I think the pink hood looks hideous, but luckily I'm not the one who has to like it.:p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    By the way, I think the pink hood looks hideous, but luckily I'm not the one who has to like it.:p:
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Pink hoods are awesome! I want one but can't have one :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and that time the story made it into the papers but fizzed out quite quickly - probably because she (sensibly) refused to play along.
    There are certain Oxford medics who are quite jealous of the pink hood of awesomeness. :p: I think I posted my own pics of it in the minimod forum. Shame I am only entitled to wear it for a couple of terms till I get my MA, which then takes precedence! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Pink hoods are awesome! I want one but can't have one :bawling:
    Well, if you get that far:

Doctors of Music

Doctors of music have no convocation habit, as this degree (as well as that of Bachelor of Music) was open to those who were not members of Convocation. The degree is known to have existed since the early 16th century, and seems to have originally used the same robes as Doctors of Medicine, on the rare occasions when this was necessary. However, since the beginning of the 17th century, Doctors of Music have worn gowns of white or cream damask or brocade, with facings and sleeve-linings of cherry-red silk being present since at least the late 18th century: the latter are shown in a 1792 plate by Charles Grignion.

Today, the full dress gown is made of cream silk brocade with apple blossom embroidery, with cherry silk sleeves and facings. The hood worn with the undress gown is of the same materials:

* DMus — cream apple blossom silk brocade (full shape) lined with cherry silk.
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi...ctors_of_Music)

All in all, a pretty spiffing outfit. DtS

[edit - ooooh - look , there's even a picture here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2009/090403.html (at the bottom). Yup, maximum spiffingness, I'd say.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    It's the interview that matters and hers obviously didn't go that well. What was the problem?
    The usual. Anything that can be interpreted as even vaguely controversial is ambushed by the media and flogged for all its worth.
    Same with an English applicant to Trinity more recently who went to Warwick.

I want a small child to walk behind me dragging the end bit of my gown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    There are certain Oxford medics who are quite jealous of the pink hood of awesomeness. :p: I think I posted my own pics of it in the minimod forum. Shame I am only entitled to wear it for a couple of terms till I get my MA, which then takes precedence! :rolleyes:

*waves tiny fist of futility*

Although I also quite enjoyed ours, despite being blue - currently adorning my facebook profile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    She's also now a doctor, having done graduate medicine at Cambridge, isn't she?
    Yes - there's a graduation photo in this thread!

Am I missing something about the relevance of that to the quote from me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    And I suppose what I meant was that she was ultimately good enough to do medicine, because she's completed grad medicine.
    Sure - good enough.

But the issue was more whether she was better than the 5 students who did get offers from that college that year & whether she only didn't because she was northern/female/state-schooled?

So re. the former part of that question - maybe she was, although some of the media subsequently reported that actually she didn't think her interviews went that well, so based on what they had to judge her on...
    Anyhow, I don't think the admissions process is infallibly perfect & certainly cross-college consistency for medicine is probably improved these days.

It's the latter part that gets a big " :rolleyes: " from me - especially after knowing tutors involved & as I said, people who were successful that year!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    Well, if you get that far...
    Alas, even if I did get that far (I've been told I'd be better off elsewhere ), I'd become a Doctor of Philosophy, rather than a Doctor of Music. DMus is only awarded to composers. Whereas I'd be a musicologist/ABBAologist :cool: Thus I am deemed unworthy of the gown :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I could, of course, steal my tutor's and run away with it. That's a bit extreme though.

:ninja:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.