Be honest!
    Luv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    If so whats it like
    Teaching and Socially?
    Be honest!
    Luv
    So from the silence, do I take it that no1 is?

Errm, yes, I am. I'm in the fourth year now. What are you thinking of studying here?

(Original post by Kuz)
    So from the silence, do I take it that no1 is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogtanian)
    Errm, yes, I am. I'm in the fourth year now. What are you thinking of studying here?
    Chemistry
    Wot subject are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial's a good uni shame the male:female ratio is poo

Kuz: I do Computing. I don't know much about Chemistry, but the impression I have is that the course is one of the best in the country. Apparently the course has a good amount of practical work.

As you have probably heard, Imperial's courses tend to be relatively hard work. However, this means that you get to learn more than other people. Indeed, the work level is similar to that of Ca****ge and Oxford, though we have 10- or 11-week terms rather than 8. In terms of research, most of Imperial's departments are in the top few elite departments in the country.

Socially, Imperial's pretty good. Naturally, being (in the main) a science and technology university, there are lots of, umm, how can I put this kindly, socially inept people around. If, though, you mix with normal people, you can have as good a time at Imperial as you can elsewhere. And, if you're socially inept yourself at least you'll be able to find similar people to mix with. Seriously, though, given that Imperial is in London, Imperial's a good place to be socially --- just make sure that you mix with a good group of people. Also, it helps that Imperial is located in South Kensington: it isn't quite as built-up or crime-ridden as, say, the Bloomsbury area, and is generally quite pleasant. It's also near enough to the centre to be convenient.

HamaL: Perhaps you're right, but it's a fact that science (other than biology) and engineering attract a disproportionate number of males. Given that most of the people you mix with at any university (apart from in halls) are from your course, if you do a technical course anywhere you won't have a very even balance. That said, Imperial is still probably a bit low with respect to that ratio. You do, though, have to balance it out with the fact that Imperial has a great reputation, and this is not unfounded...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogtanian)
    Kuz: I do Computing. I don't know much about Chemistry, but the impression I have is that the course is one of the best in the country. Apparently the course has a good amount of practical work.

As you have probably heard, Imperial's courses tend to be relatively hard work. However, this means that you get to learn more than other people. Indeed, the work level is similar to that of Ca****ge and Oxford, though we have 10- or 11-week terms rather than 8. In terms of research, most of Imperial's departments are in the top few elite departments in the country.

Socially, Imperial's pretty good. Naturally, being (in the main) a science and technology university, there are lots of, umm, how can I put this kindly, socially inept people around. If, though, you mix with normal people, you can have as good a time at Imperial as you can elsewhere. And, if you're socially inept yourself at least you'll be able to find similar people to mix with. Seriously, though, given that Imperial is in London, Imperial's a good place to be socially --- just make sure that you mix with a good group of people. Also, it helps that Imperial is located in South Kensington: it isn't quite as built-up or crime-ridden as, say, the Bloomsbury area, and is generally quite pleasant. It's also near enough to the centre to be convenient.
    Thanks 4 your reply, it was very honest

Luv

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Imperial, if I get the grades, and I'm not male but then again it's for Biochemistry so maybe it's equal numbers sexwise. I hadn't actually realised that there were so many more males going to Imperial than females [obvious] :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared about this girl boy ratio thing! Ive got lots of boy mates but i do need some females to talk to sometimes! Thats if i get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asphyxiating)
    I'm going to Imperial, if I get the grades, and I'm not male but then again it's for Biochemistry so maybe it's equal numbers sexwise. I hadn't actually realised that there were so many more males going to Imperial than females [obvious] :rolleyes:
    Biochemistry has a bad boy to girl ratio i'm sorry, or actually as you are female, congrats!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    what about chemical engineering? male:female ratio??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    what about chemical engineering? male:female ratio??
    No idea i'm afraid, only know about Imperial generally and Biochem because my boyfriend is there doing Msc Biochem

ReputationRep:
    I go to Imperial. Stay away! It's a dump! The buildings are shoddy and the teaching quality is worse. Run. Run away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flabulous)
    I go to Imperial. Stay away! It's a dump! The buildings are shoddy and the teaching quality is worse. Run. Run away.
    Really? Which subject are you doing??

ReputationRep:
    Flab are you a turd????

How can you say Imperial a permanent top 5 UK univeristy is poor????
    For a London University it has some of the best facilities and the lecturers there are very friendly not to say the top of their field.

I'm going there hopefully in Oct 2004 to study "Biology with management". Is there anyone else doing similar subjects to me in the Biological Science Department? Anybody current students that can share some experience?

I noticed the lack of girls walking around the Uni during open day. But the male: female ratio of the biological science dept seems 50:50.

I read from a Univerisity guide which said:

"Its easy for girls to pull at Imperial because the male female ratio there seems to be about 90:10, but what they do pull is not necessaily gaurenteed to be human" (e.g Flab)

I guess perhaps Imperial is a women's paradise

ReputationRep:
    Well that's good cuz I'm going to Imperial next year (if the grades match in aug) to do Computing and I'm a woman (apart from the pulling non-human life-forms thing, shall have to avoid that)

ReputationRep:
    Ooooo I didn't know so many people were coming to Imperial! Hope you all have fun !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Ooooo I didn't know so many people were coming to Imperial! Hope you all have fun !
    Hey pk

You're studying medicine right (coolies )? Could I just ask when you heard from Imperial concerning your interview? I'm not worried but I'm just curious because I haven't even received a confirmation which all the other applicants I know received a couple of months ago... am I really that repulsive or are they just playing it cool ? (or this is just my paranoia and it's just due to huge oversubscription?)

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I'm a 2nd year medic. I heard from Imperial early Nov and got my offer about a week and a bit later. But someone in my class who also applied got an interview and offer in Feb! I wouldn't worry; they have interviews all the way till March I think. You should have got a letter saying they have received ur UCAS form. If not I'd email 'em to see whats happening . I think the email addy is [email protected]

Good luck! This is such a tense period for all of you applying but hopefully you'll all be successful in whatever you want and in a few months time it'll all be over .

ReputationRep:
    i've mentioned this in another thread, but what do people at Imperial think of the girls there? (kinda similar to the fittest girls topic )

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.