Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been contemplating teaching for a while, I intend to pursue a bsc. undergraduate degree after my gap year then take the PGCE course enabling me to teach. Recently however, I've found a lot of negative comments on teaching as a profession. They include that, teachers work 15 hour days, an article which I could find for you stated that 6 out of 10 teachers had themselves or known another teacher to be the victim of false allegations by pupils. Their career was tarnished forever as it stays on record, some teachers developed psychological problems as the cases usually last 18 months of which you are suspended from teaching and cannot contact any of your colleagues or friends who are teachers at that school, I hear teachers have little spare time or holidays, I hear it is one of if not the most stressful job as taken by a UK poll, the salary is often commented as poor and that 1 in 3 teachers leave the profession after the first few years.

I would like teaching because I could teach pupils and have a positive impact on their lives,thereby influencing their futures, teaching has favourable job security and prospects, you meet interesting and varied colleagues and the salary in my opinion is not the worst out there. But from what i've read it seems that teaching is a poor career decision, it seems that you will most likely be a victim of false allegations and isolated from friends for a long time and that you have very very little spare time by working 15 hour days. Are these negative claims true or just hyped up propoganda?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X7502)
    I would like teaching because I could teach pupils and have a positive impact on their lives,thereby influencing their futures, teaching has favourable job security and prospects, you meet interesting and varied colleagues and the salary in my opinion is not the worst out there. But from what i've read it seems that teaching is a poor career decision, it seems that you will most likely be a victim of false allegations and isolated from friends for a long time and that you have very very little spare time by working 15 hour days. Are these negative claims true or just hyped up propoganda?

Lol why are you so worried about it? And even if lets say (hope that God forbids of course) that it happens, do you really think that it might not happen to an ordinary job as well? Also, like (any) ordinary work, sometimes you need to spend longer time in your work place since you actually have datelines and pressures from all corners of the work space.

Teaching is an honorable job. I encourage you to follow your ambitions and no to be trap by some strange propaganda. Just to let you know, after you've finished with a class, you'll be so exhausted, but you have to hurriedly catch your breath and move on to another class to teach. It's like walking 10miles, rest 5 minutes, walk another 10miles, repeat. Quite fun really

ReputationRep:
    15 hour days? Where did you get that from? It isn't true, anyway. I'm part-time, but none of my full-time colleagues work 15-hour days. With decent time management skills and a sense of perspective, there's no reason why you shouldn't have a life.

ReputationRep:
    15 hour days is the type of thing that results from having OfSted in.

ReputationRep:
    I also want to go into teaching. I worked in a school, just as admin in the school office.

The teachers at that school all seemed to love their job.

They would usually start between 8:00am - 8:30am and finish between 3:45pm and 4:15pm unless they had to stay behind an extra hour for a meeting etc or wanted to stay behind to do work eg planning, marking etc.

If you work in secondary schools, you also have free lessons during the day in which you would use for planning etc.

Yes it is true that during the holidays they do have work to do but like Angelil said, if you plan your time well and dedicate certain times for you work and stick to it, you'll still have plenty of free time to enjoy your holidays.

I am reaaaly excited about becoming a teacher. Looking back at my colleagues, they had such a brilliant time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.