Turn on thread page Beta

How To Be a Composer watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watch this on BBCthree??? I'm watching it at the minute and thought i'd ask what you guys thought of it. I noticed that they even have musical curtains there haha :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19music4)
    Anyone watch this on BBCthree??? I'm watching it at the minute and thought i'd ask what you guys thought of it. I noticed that they even have musical curtains there haha :rolleyes:
    Yeah I watched it, I really enjoyed it actually, at first I thought he wasn't really doing a lot of the actual composition himself really, but his final string quartet piece was wicked, well imo anyway, and that was pretty amazing considering less than a year previously he couldn't even read music!

Well being the geek that I am I then felt inspired to go and compose something, and ended up with a four bar melody I don't even like, there's not a lot of hope! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I might watch it at some point, was it interesting then?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've seen the first 45 minutes. I'll finish it later sometime, I hope it's on iPlayer. It was quite interesting; made me a bit sad. I wish I'd focussed on music more when I was younger. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeed.)
    I might watch it at some point, was it interesting then?
    Well I thought so, it's on iplayer so you can watch it whenever, but I think it's worth a watch

ReputationRep:
    i've only seen the first episode (has the second episode been shown actually?). His tudor guy really annoyed me...he seemed like the typical 'up his own arse' kinda music teacher...just made me glad that i dont go to music college! I found it really interesting though..pity im a useless composer :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19music4)
    i've only seen the first episode (has the second episode been shown actually?). His tudor guy really annoyed me...he seemed like the typical 'up his own arse' kinda music teacher...just made me glad that i dont go to music college! I found it really interesting though..pity im a useless composer :P
    It was on BBC4 last night at half 9 I think, so should be on iplayer by now. Yeah he was a bit annoying!

I think I'm a useless composer too, but I'm sure we're not that bad, anyway I'm waiting on my AS composition results to see just how useless I am :P

ReputationRep:
    Only saw the first part but it was pretty good, his first ever composition was a lot more interesting than I had expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Only saw the first part but it was pretty good, his first ever composition was a lot more interesting than I had expected.
    it was also a lot better than something i could probably do, and i'm doing a music degree haha :o:

ReputationRep:
    I've not-quite-finished the first episode yet, but I'm oscillating back and forth between thinking it's really **** and quite liking it. I guess I partly object to the idea of anyone-can-be-a-composer - I know plenty of people who have been rejected from RAM for postgrad composition with 1sts in composition from undergrad so it sort of bugs me that they're giving an impression at the start that he actually got in when he doesn't know the first thing about music. (I'm sure there are people doing similar courses who e.g. can't initially notate themselves but it's the way he knows NOTHING) It is growing on me though as he gradually starts to come up with something.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I haven't seen this. Is it on Iplayer? It's my secret dream to be a composer so I'd be very interested to see it Anyone else on here compose? It seems to be quite a rare thing for young people to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Ooh I haven't seen this. Is it on Iplayer? It's my secret dream to be a composer so I'd be very interested to see it Anyone else on here compose? It seems to be quite a rare thing for young people to do...
    Yeah it is on iplayer, well it was, and I think it should still be.

I do kinda compose, but only normally for GCSE and AS exams and the like, although I think I might try and have a go at doing something a bit more adventurous over the summer What kinda things do you compose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarinetplayer92)
    Yeah it is on iplayer, well it was, and I think it should still be.

I do kinda compose, but only normally for GCSE and AS exams and the like, although I think I might try and have a go at doing something a bit more adventurous over the summer What kinda things do you compose?
    I've composed all sorts, though I'm starting to focus on jazz because I know much more about it than classical. But I'm definitely keeping the classical up, I was featured on the Promcast thing last year and (hopefully) this year as well Though I don't know if people really know about that.

The trouble is, composing is such a volatile business. My grandad was a professional composer and he was (imo) amazing, but he didn't make a lot of money. It's hard to make money unless you're writing for film/TV, and for that the competition is really really fierce...

ReputationRep:
    I've composed all sorts, though I'm starting to focus on jazz because I know much more about it than classical. But I'm definitely keeping the classical up, I was featured on the Promcast thing last year and (hopefully) this year as well Though I don't know if people really know about that.

The trouble is, composing is such a volatile business. My grandad was a professional composer and he was (imo) amazing, but he didn't make a lot of money. It's hard to make money unless you're writing for film/TV, and for that the competition is really really fierce...
    Sounds good, although I have to admit that I don't know about Promcast, what is it? But whatever it is it's pretty impressive that you got mentioned. My compositions really aren't anything special, but I enjoy it so that's the main thing

Yeah it is insanely hard, one of my music teachers is an amazing composer but she can't earn enough to live off composition, I guess you could always teach and compose on the side maybe? Or maybe teach composition at a conservatoire or something? It's a shame the music business in general is so unreliable really :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good, although I have to admit that I don't know about Promcast, what is it? But whatever it is it's pretty impressive that you got mentioned. My compositions really aren't anything special, but I enjoy it so that's the main thing

Yeah it is insanely hard, one of my music teachers is an amazing composer but she can't earn enough to live off composition, I guess you could always teach and compose on the side maybe? Or maybe teach composition at a conservatoire or something? It's a shame the music business in general is so unreliable really :erm:
    I can't cos I'm not qualified to do any of that. I'm a law student The Promcast is a series of podcasts run by the Times and the BBC that coincide with the Proms. The idea is to showcase new classical music and composers.

Do you have a sibeliusmusic webpage? I'd like to hear your music

ReputationRep:
    I can't cos I'm not qualified to do any of that. I'm a law student The Promcast is a series of podcasts run by the Times and the BBC that coincide with the Proms. The idea is to showcase new classical music and composers.

Woah that's pretty amazing!

I've composed the odd pieces in my time at school, but now that i've come to uni i haven't really been in the mood to compose many as i've been spending most of my time on performance. Plus, i'm pretty rubbish lol.

I don't have a sibeliusmusic page, i was meant to set one up but never got round to it! Do you?

ReputationRep:

Oh right, that suckeths, well I guess you can always compose in your spare time then, better than nothing!

That sounds cool, well done you for getting on there, your music must be good! Mine's really not, and I have actually only finished 3 pieces which is a bit rubbish really, and they are rather boring No I don't have a sibeliusmusic webpage I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I just watched this on iPlayer. What I don't understand is after a year of learning etc. He know the basic shall we say? How is he able to be a "teacher" there as it said in the end? It's just :B He couldn't even read notes to start of with really. It jus baffles me to be honnest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ducklighter)
    I just watched this on iPlayer. What I don't understand is after a year of learning etc. He know the basic shall we say? How is he able to be a "teacher" there as it said in the end? It's just :B He couldn't even read notes to start of with really. It jus baffles me to be honnest.
    I was slightly confused about that as well tbh, unless he's teaching music theory to some kids who go there for lessons? Who knows :dontknow:

Slightly off topic, but what are you doing your Music epq on?

ReputationRep:
    I was slightly confused about that as well tbh, unless he's teaching music theory to some kids who go there for lessons? Who knows :dontknow:

Slightly off topic, but what are you doing your Music epq on?
    EPQ - No idea, I was going to do it on Debussy comparing his ochestral work to a solo piano. But I don't have a ochestral piece so it's gonna be difficult.. :/

So I'm thinking of something else now.. You doing EPQ as well?

On another forum they found out [through RAM website] that he's gonna be teaching.

Paul official title says he'll be teaching "Music Philosophy and Contemporary Culture
    Hmm.. Not too sure really.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.