Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

tongue piercing/tattoos - girlfriend material? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Girls with a few nice tattoos <3. Over the top is rank for me.

Tounge peircings are nic on some people, some not. All depends but as for judging for gf material.

You can't judge on someones appearance lol

ReputationRep:
    I love how every post here is "I have a tattoo/piercing... are you saying I'm not girlfriend material??!?!"

Although I would never get a tattoo or piercing (other than simple one in each ear like I have at the moment). I just don't think they look nice and nearly every guy I know say they are a bit grim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i've heard that guys think that a girl with a tounge piercing or tattoo is trashy or slutty and not girlfriend material but only good to hook up with. is this true? if you saw a classy intelligent girl with a tongue piercing and tattoo on her stomach would you think she was the above? most guys seem to think it means the girl is only up for one thing, and not girlfriend material even if she is classy and post grad??
    Sounds like perfect girlfriend material for me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by grantrough)
    All generalisations aside. Tattoos and piercings are the person's choice, which sort of gives others a small insight into that individual. However, people thinking that it makes girls look trashy/slutty is society's doing. I assume girls get these because they think it looks good.....end of?

I would never get a tattoo or piercing, mainly because I don't know what I am going to be like when I am 60 odds. But I do like small discrete tattoos on girls, like on their stomach or lower back. Anything too big though just looks kind of tacky, I think. Piercings are ok if they are discrete too (like tongue, ear, belly button)
    Yeah fair enough according to you they make make me seem one but there im not. your acting like people dont make generalisations based on clothing, jewellery or anything which is ludicrous you cant honestly tell me that whenever you see someone on the street you dont associate them with a specific archetype, whether you like it or not human beings do this. You'd be a fool calling out someone else for generalising someone through an item they wear.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with tattoos as long as their not too extreme. Not overly keen on piercings, especially when there all over the place. obviously depends on the girl though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Yeah fair enough according to you they make make me seem one but there im not. your acting like people dont make generalisations based on clothing, jewellery or anything which is ludicrous you cant honestly tell me that whenever you see someone on the street you dont associate them with a specific archetype, whether you like it or not human beings do this. You'd be a fool calling out someone else for generalising someone through an item they wear.

It is human nature to judge on first impressions, and yes, if someone has a face mashed with piercings and arms littered with tattoos, there is a certain stigma involved, I am not denying that at all.

All I was saying is that people get them for their own reasons, it doesn't mould someone's personality.

ReputationRep:
    A few tattoos are okay and the odd piercing, but I don't like it when they go OTT with the tattoos and piercings.

I think girls look fitter with the odd tattoo to be honest :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think many people care unless you deliberately get these things to try and get a reaction. I have a tattoo and a tongue piercing and quite alot of ear piercings but I just got them for the fun of it and most people wouldn't notice unless I told them. If people are getting all these things to make a statement like HA TAKE THAT SOCIETY I WILL REBEL AGAINST THE UNIFORM LOOK AND BE DIFFERENT. Anyone who dresses just to be "unique" and to stand out from the crowd usually gives up after a few years because most people don't care and it's too much effort. If someone changes their looks just to make a point that just annoys me really but people who change their looks to make themselves feel good then i'm sure less people are gonna have a problem with it.
    So as long as the individual doesn't segregate themself into a whole new "species" because of their body alterings I don't think this should change the way we think about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0obrighteyeso0)
    I have my tongue pierced and a small tattoo on my ankle. Yes I go around shagging everything that moves and enjoy drinking cider in parks at night. Oh wait, no I don't. I'm in a long-term relationship and have been entirely faithful to my lovely boyfriend.

Sorry but if you actually judge someone on such ridiculous assumptions then you're never going to get a girlfriend, piercings or not.
    Haha, ditto, and well said. :yes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by grantrough)
    It is human nature to judge on first impressions, and yes, if someone has a face mashed with piercings and arms littered with tattoos, there is a certain stigma involved, I am not denying that at all.

All I was saying is that people get them for their own reasons, it doesn't mould someone's personality.
    It certainly doesnt, and you cant tell someone personality from a nose piercing or if their promiscuous what i was trying to say really was that its just a human flaw that we jugde before we fully know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    It certainly doesnt, and you cant tell someone personality from a nose piercing or if their promiscuous what i was trying to say really was that its just a human flaw that we jugde before we fully know.
    This

ReputationRep:
    My tattoo is on my back and is always covered by clothing. I only wear my nose piercing half the time and it's a very very tiny gem. My tongue piercing is tiny and most people don't notice it, and the ones on my ears are very discreet.

I literally get these things because I get bored with my appearance or just want to do something for a change, for me. It's not because I want to go LOOK AT ME EVERYONE, LOOK AT HOW I'M REBELLING AGAINST SOCIETY :awesome:

I could understand if I had a tongue stud saying "SEX" or something but you know, I don't.

It's definitely people's behaviour that defines them more than anything but agreed, some people will go and get piercings and tattoos to try and adhere to certain social groups and to get a reaction.

My boyfriend has never had a problem with my piercings or whatever, he loves me for me. He knows that I like changing my appearance with the odd piercing or whatever and he totally respects that, he knows that it doesn't change who I am and that I'm still going to be me.

ReputationRep:
    i've heard that guys think that a girl with a tounge piercing or tattoo is trashy or slutty and not girlfriend material but only good to hook up with. is this true? if you saw a classy intelligent girl with a tongue piercing and tattoo on her stomach would you think she was the above? most guys seem to think it means the girl is only up for one thing, and not girlfriend material even if she is classy and post grad??
    I love ink. Not to excess though. Same applies to piercings.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the nicest, most intelligent, self-respecting and successful people I know have tattoo's and/or piercings. This is also applicable to people I know without any body mods.

I think it is ridiculous to assume that someone with them is trashy or slutty and I don't have all that much tolerance for people that do assume that. I also don't understand how sometimes this renders people unemployable (which is a load of bs, extreme cases an exception), but that's another kettle of fish altogether......

ReputationRep:
    Piercings and tattoos are a good way of identifying whores. You pimp whores - you don't marry or go out with them or show them to your familly.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the girl. If she seems stupid or cheap then the piercings and tattoos will only further that.

If she appears intelligent but is covered in tattoos and piercings then sorry, it would be a big turn off for me. Girls don't suit it, it's too masculine IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God of War)
    Piercings and tattoos are a good way of identifying whores. You pimp whores - you don't marry or go out with them or show them to your familly.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clunge)
    I have a little tattoo on my wrist. Therefore I'm not girlfriend material.

It's such a stupid generalisation to make.
    Your username doesn't make you seem girlfriend material, but looking at your picture.. who cares :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelser)
    :facepalm:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Tattoos turn me on tbf. (Obviously not a huge amount, 1 or 2 will do)

A piercing is fine too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.