The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's going to depend on the person, I'd assume a guy with piercings and tattoos isn't going to judge you negatively for having some but some people might- in which case do you really want to be with them?

I can't see how having them makes you seem promiscuous unless you have some kind of tally of how many people you've slept with tattooed on you!
no of course it doesnt - if that guy thinks it does, then hes a pillock and not worth your time

oh btw a girl with a tongue piercing has an advantage over those that dont (now use your imagination)
Reply 102
For me, a classy, intelligent girl with piercings is HOT!
MBibzle
I think that the way you present yourself does display a lot about your character. I know this is probs not gonna go down well with a lot of people who read this post but i personally find tattoos & piercings trashy and they don't reflect well on the person. Also, i really hate to say it but you can't usually be very classy and intelligent and be the type who has a tattoo. You'd have to be a highly unusual person to have all those attributes. They don't mix well. So i personally know quite a few guys who wouldn't even hook up with girls with tattoos and piercings beyond the ears. Maybe this is just the environment that i have grown up in or something that makes me think this way, i don't know.

Which world are you living in? I have 5 tattoos and 3 piercings (not including ears). I was always top of my class throughout school, went to a grammar school, have straight A GCSEs (barring one B), 3 A grade A-levels and I study law at a top 5 university. I hate to base my intellect on exam grades alone (or at all, actually), but that is the only tangible proof that I have to give you. I would say I was classy but I suppose that is a matter of opinion. But I can tell you that I do not sleep around - I never have. The only sexual relationships I have had have been in long-term relationships, and even they were very few.

I think that it's fair to say you wouldn't go with a girl who was pierced/tattooed if it was something you did not find appealing to look at (we all have our own physical preferences)...but what you seem to be saying is that your position has developed from a character judgement you make of girls with body art. We all judge others.. it's a sad fact of life. But the sensible people are the ones who can recognise these judgements for what they are and realise that you cannot paint everyone with the same brush - and make a conscious effort not to act on these stereotypes. What you are doing is recognising your preconceptions and making a conscious effort to actually act upon them and use them as reasons not to be with someone. It's sad and really quite narrow minded that you wouldn't even bother getting to know the person first. I personally think that by living your life in that way you are going to miss out on so much, but that's just my opinion. I assume that you are happy in your little bubble. Myself, I like to experience as much as I can of the world and not letting my own prejudice get in the way of that. Each to their own I suppose.
ok, intellect aside, to be classy surely you have to be tasteful? a woman with a lip/nose/toungue ring, hanging out of their clothes or with obvious fake orange tan may be beautiful or intelligent but in my opinion, not a classy girl.
im not clear how piercings link to promiscuiity though??
Reply 105
shinytoy
ok, intellect aside, to be classy surely you have to be tasteful? a woman with a lip/nose/toungue ring, hanging out of their clothes or with obvious fake orange tan may be beautiful or intelligent but in my opinion, not a classy girl.

Personally, I think there's a difference between having one or two piercings that suit a person's face and having ridiculous fake tan or garish clothes.

I've seen many a woman who's got a lip piercing that looks very smart. On the other hand, I've also seen a few that can't pull it off.
shinytoy

What has a fake tan or hanging out of clothes got to do with anything? Just because you have tattoos and piercings doesn't make you some trashy tramp with a bad tan.

I am genuinely confused.
no but having trashy clothes OR fake tan OR piercings are all methods of self expression therefore by the same argument you are all putting forward, wearing obvious fake tan CAN look classy on the right person in the same way a face piercing can?

why aren't they allowed in job interviews and professional occupations eg accountants/lawyers if lip/tongue/eyebrow piercings are so classy and smart?
I like girls with piercings, especially lip and tongue.

Tattoos is different though, it depends on what they have, were, and stuff, sometimes it can be off putting, though, i wouldn't think they are some sort of slut for having them :-s

You only need to go onto the suicide girls website to see how hot girls with tats/piercings can be.
I don't like tramp stamps, but things like full sleeves are :coma:
shinytoy
no but having trashy clothes OR fake tan OR piercings are all methods of self expression therefore by the same argument you are all putting forward, wearing obvious fake tan CAN look classy on the right person in the same way a face piercing can?

why aren't they allowed in job interviews and professional occupations eg accountants/lawyers if lip/tongue/eyebrow piercings are so classy and smart?

You can't back up one argument about self-expression by giving examples of other (quite different) forms of self-expression. It just doesn't make any sense. Your point is futile.

As for the latter part of your post, there is a big difference between dressing appropriately for a work environment (for the types of jobs you have mentioned) than there is with looking/being classy. It depends on what you consider to be 'classy' I suppose, but I certainly don't equate it with how I would dress going to that kind of job. In short, you can look/be classy without looking like you are about to present a case in a courtroom.
Reply 111
This is all ricdiculous. I havn't any tattoos or piercings but am definitely a trashy slut :hmmm: You people make me sick.
i have tatoos but that doesn't make me a slutty promiscuous girl. That's not the tatoos or piercings you have that define your personnality or intelligence.
Reply 113
thisisyesterday
Which world are you living in? I have 5 tattoos and 3 piercings (not including ears). I was always top of my class throughout school, went to a grammar school, have straight A GCSEs (barring one B), 3 A grade A-levels and I study law at a top 5 university. I hate to base my intellect on exam grades alone (or at all, actually), but that is the only tangible proof that I have to give you. I would say I was classy but I suppose that is a matter of opinion. But I can tell you that I do not sleep around - I never have. The only sexual relationships I have had have been in long-term relationships, and even they were very few.

I think that it's fair to say you wouldn't go with a girl who was pierced/tattooed if it was something you did not find appealing to look at (we all have our own physical preferences)...but what you seem to be saying is that your position has developed from a character judgement you make of girls with body art. We all judge others.. it's a sad fact of life. But the sensible people are the ones who can recognise these judgements for what they are and realise that you cannot paint everyone with the same brush - and make a conscious effort not to act on these stereotypes. What you are doing is recognising your preconceptions and making a conscious effort to actually act upon them and use them as reasons not to be with someone. It's sad and really quite narrow minded that you wouldn't even bother getting to know the person first. I personally think that by living your life in that way you are going to miss out on so much, but that's just my opinion. I assume that you are happy in your little bubble. Myself, I like to experience as much as I can of the world and not letting my own prejudice get in the way of that. Each to their own I suppose.

Please note the word 'usually.' I'm alright in living in my 'bubble.' What's to say i don't get a very happy, diverse and fufilling/adventurous lifestyle by holding preconceptions. You seem to think i don't bother getting to know these people who have ''body art'' when in fact i do and 9/10 the stereotype holds true. I approach them with a preconception which i then assess as well as their character as i get to know them which actually extends further into human nature than you seem to appreciate. It's not narrow mindedness. I'm just saying that i've not met a single sophisticated and truly intelligent girl who has a tattoo. It just does not seem to go hand in hand. That's all i'm saying. Of course there are very big exceptions to that. Maybe you are as you claim to be - one of these highly exceptional people. Personnally i find it quite offensive that you have chalked me up to be narrow-minded from this post when in fact if one person was to prove this stereotype wrong within any period of time of me knowing them then i wouldn't hold this preconception. Not happened yet though and i doubt it will. It's like trying to find a rastafarian asian woman. they just don't seem to exist.

As for me describing it as 'trashy,' it's been a discussion between me and a very large group of male friends and it just seems to be the general consensus.

P.s. I never made any references to promiscuity in my first post all i described it as was 'trashy' which i define as lacking class.
MBibzle
Please note the word 'usually.' I'm alright in living in my 'bubble.' What's to say i don't get a very happy, diverse and fufilling/adventurous lifestyle by holding preconceptions. You seem to think i don't bother getting to know these people who have ''body art'' when in fact i do and 9/10 the stereotype holds true. I approach them with a preconception which i then assess as well as their character as i get to know them which actually extends further into human nature than you seem to appreciate. It's not narrow mindedness. I'm just saying that i've not met a single sophisticated and truly intelligent girl who has a tattoo. It just does not seem to go hand in hand. That's all i'm saying. Of course there are very big exceptions to that. Maybe you are as you claim to be - one of these highly exceptional people. Personnally i find it quite offensive that you have chalked me up to be narrow-minded from this post when in fact if one person was to prove this stereotype wrong within any period of time of me knowing them then i wouldn't hold this preconception. Not happened yet though and i doubt it will. It's like trying to find a rastafarian asian woman. they just don't seem to exist.

As for me describing it as 'trashy,' it's been a discussion between me and a very large group of male friends and it just seems to be the general consensus.

P.s. I never made any references to promiscuity in my first post all i described it as was 'trashy' which i define as lacking class.

If it's not something that would stop you getting to know somebody then I stand corrected. From your first post it seemed like you wouldn't even consider a girl who had a tattoo purely on that basis - and that is what I took from it, hence I gave you a quite heated response. As I said before, we all judge people - but as long as we don't use this judgements as reasons not to talk to, get to know or 'hook up' with someone then it's hardly an issue, so how you act (now that you have explained it further) isn't behaviour which I disagree with. I think I misunderstood what you were saying and I apologise for offending you as a result.

I do, however, find it strange that you think that intelligent/sophisticated women with tattoos are so few and far between. I guess it depends on the circles you mix in...I think we must lead very different lives.

I hope this addresses everything? I have had minimal sleep and barely know what I am typing currently.
Reply 115
thisisyesterday
If it's not something that would stop you getting to know somebody then I stand corrected. From your first post it seemed like you wouldn't even consider a girl who had a tattoo purely on that basis - and that is what I took from it, hence I gave you a quite heated response. As I said before, we all judge people - but as long as we don't use this judgements as reasons not to talk to, get to know or 'hook up' with someone then it's hardly an issue, so how you act (now that you have explained it further) isn't behaviour which I disagree with. I think I misunderstood what you were saying and I apologise for offending you as a result.

I do, however, find it strange that you think that intelligent/sophisticated women with tattoos are so few and far between. I guess it depends on the circles you mix in...I think we must lead very different lives.

I hope this addresses everything? I have had minimal sleep and barely know what I am typing currently.

You know what's quite funny, you may have just dented that stereotype of mine with the maturity and open-mindedness of your response :o: .In any case I apologize for being a controversial douchebag and I think you just won this argument lol. :redface:
MBibzle
You know what's quite funny, you may have just dented that stereotype of mine with the maturity and open-mindedness of your response .In any case I apologize for being a controversial douchebag and I think you just won this argument lol.

Awwww trashy, unsophisticated girls can win arguments too. There's hope for us yet! :p:

Seriously, no worries. I think we all hold views that may come across to others as controversial, but it can sometimes depend on upbringing/social circles/life experience rather than genuine narrow-mindedness. I got annoyed initially because it's something that used to really get to me - people judging me on the basis of my body art. It's a method of self-expression for me and I don't think it's fair that people would make (usually quite inaccurate) assumptions about me on that basis. I think you possibly just hit a nerve. No harm done. :smile:
Reply 117
I've had tonnes of piercings, no tattoos though; yet somehow I'm holding down a stable
relationship, it's a dumb generalisation. =/ Of course, I can see how it might come across...
Reply 118
itszednotzee
So guys.... you wouldn't date Kat Von D if you had the chance?!

Damn, beat me to it.
In a secon :drool:
I've got a tongue piercing (among various others) and a tattoo on my stomach. I think I'm still very much gf material! Very big generalisation there.

Latest

Trending

Trending