Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

tongue piercing/tattoos - girlfriend material? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i think an interesting point from this thread is that most people are going on about how 'it is sooo wrong to make a character judgement about people with tattoos and tongue piercings' and 'omg im intelligent, reserved, shy and non-promiscuous but i have a tongue stud/tattoo'

at the same time, those same people are saying, 'i have a tongue stud/tattoo in order to express myself' yet they also are saying 'it is wrong to make character judgements based on how i express myself, through my toungue piercing'

well, the question i have is this. what exactly are you trying to express by having a tongue piercing? what do you feel it says about you? why did you get it? and 'it looks cool' isnt an answer, why do you think it is cool? what does it seem to portray about you that is cool?

then re-answer why it is wrong of people to judge your character for having it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    people are saying, 'i have a tongue stud/tattoo in order to express myself' yet they also are saying 'it is wrong to make character judgements based on how i express myself, through my toungue piercing'

:ditto:

And it just expresses that they are chavy lowlifes.

ReputationRep:
    most of my mates have tattoos and piercings (tongue, nose, eyebrow, lip) and boyfriends

i have none of the above

make of that what you will

ReputationRep:
    Girls with tattoos and piercings are sexy, they make you who you are. Likewise girls with no tattoos and piercings are equally sexy. Both in my eyes are girlfriend material, anyone rejecting anyone based on the fact they have piercings or tattoos is pathetic really, making that sort of decision is just stupid in my opinion. However you have to deal with a fact that some guys aren't turned on by it where as some are, do what you want and be accepted for who you are, do not adjust yourself to conform with others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    :ditto:

And it just expresses that they are chavy lowlifes.
    Even you don't believe what you just said.

ReputationRep:
    I think some piercings are hot. You can't make such a generalisation because:

a) guys like different things
    b) how can someone not be gf material (kind hearted, caring etc) BECAUSE they have a piercing/tattoo. It's rediculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    How is that shallow, just like a girl seeing a guy with messed up hair shes going to think hes trashy..Personally i would say generally girls with it i dont find attractive as it makes them seem more promiscuous than they probably are so yeah nose piercings are not girlfriend material.
    i wouldn't go out with you anyway. :eviltongue:

i can understnad sort of, the stereotypical kind of girl that has tattoos and piecings probs isn't gf material but i have 3 piercings and a tattoo and i'd say i make an awesome gf, and you wouldn't even know i had one unless you saw me naked.

ReputationRep:
    All piercings and tattoos are actually unattractive factors to me, but they're certainly not deal breakers. I would definately assume certain things about her character (which will almost always be correct), but if she was still attractive despite the piercings, and seemed nice, I wouldn't have a problem with getting to know her.
    There would be a point, though, when I'd feel far too awkward being with someone so pierced.

ReputationRep:
    well, the question i have is this. what exactly are you trying to express by having a tongue piercing? what do you feel it says about you? why did you get it? and 'it looks cool' isnt an answer, why do you think it is cool? what does it seem to portray about you that is cool?

then re-answer why it is wrong of people to judge your character for having it
    Why on earth does it need so much thought and justification? Asking for an explanation of what exactly makes it cool seems really, really odd. The whole thing is subjective. Either you admire tattoos and piercings, or you don't. Perhaps whether you like them or not depends on who you friends are, who your family are, where you live, what type of music you listen to, it could be anything really. Perhaps its just because you like the way they look, in the same way people have favourite colours or favourite styles of clothes.

Its wrong for people to judge your character based on it because its a tiny, minute detail and there's no way in hell of knowing why people like or have their tattoos/ piercings. Judging people based on a small factor is narrow minded. Yes, I have both piercings and tattoos but that tells you literally nothing about me, except that I like them. Even if you knew WHY I liked them, that would provide no more insight than knowing which bands I like or whether I enjoy festivals. It may tell you a little about cultural choices, but nothing about my 'character'.

Sorry to rant, it just REALLY annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    no but why do you like them? i think the general reasons people like face piercings tattoos are:
    - it is non conformist -this person does not like social norms and wants to be regarded as offbeat, punky,or quirky or 'cool'
    - it is dangerous/gives an adrenaline rush - this person wants others to fear them/be percieved as a risk taker
    -it looks sexy - this person wants to be seen as sexy
    -my favorite rock band/all my mates have them - this person follows a crow of emos/goths and is willing to damage their body in order to fit in.low self esteem

it is a conflict of self expression v people looking at your self expression and trying to figure out what you are trying to express. and as above, the way you express it, and what you want to express does say alot about you

ReputationRep:
    I have never come across this question before or been faced with it as a dilemma in someone I like/someone who likes me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess041288)
    Why on earth does it need so much thought and justification? Asking for an explanation of what exactly makes it cool seems really, really odd. The whole thing is subjective. Either you admire tattoos and piercings, or you don't. Perhaps whether you like them or not depends on who you friends are, who your family are, where you live, what type of music you listen to, it could be anything really. Perhaps its just because you like the way they look, in the same way people have favourite colours or favourite styles of clothes.

Its wrong for people to judge your character based on it because its a tiny, minute detail and there's no way in hell of knowing why people like or have their tattoos/ piercings. Judging people based on a small factor is narrow minded. Yes, I have both piercings and tattoos but that tells you literally nothing about me, except that I like them. Even if you knew WHY I liked them, that would provide no more insight than knowing which bands I like or whether I enjoy festivals. It may tell you a little about cultural choices, but nothing about my 'character'.

Sorry to rant, it just REALLY annoys me.
    Agreed. Rep.

ReputationRep:
    the odd tattoo here and there is quite hot I reckon. tongue piercing...dunno, I could only tell if I saw someone with one.

ReputationRep:
    I have five piercings in my ears and a nose stud. I'd get a tattoo. I am most definitely NOT a slut... quite the opposite.

Stop making generalisations.

ReputationRep:
    no but why do you like them? i think the general reasons people like face piercings tattoos are:
    - it is non conformist -this person does not like social norms and wants to be regarded as offbeat, punky,or quirky or 'cool'
    - it is dangerous/gives an adrenaline rush - this person wants others to fear them/be percieved as a risk taker
    -my favorite rock band/all my mates have them - this person follows a crow of emos/goths and is willing to damage their body in order to fit in.low self esteem

it is a conflict of self expression v people looking at your self expression and trying to figure out what you are trying to express. and as above, the way you express it, and what you want to express does say alot about you
    I have piercings for none of those reasons. I think they look pretty and twinkly.

Conclusion: Shiny things are naice.

Stop having a go at everyone and get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    judging someone just because of something on their skin or holes in their skin is shallow. lol

ReputationRep:
    shinytoy, I don't follow ANY of the four points you gave. I have my piercings as I like them. No-one told me to have them, or conversely, to take them out. I got them because it was a personal choice and I had been wanting one for years. My tattoos each represent a milestone in my life I have had to pass to get anywhere near to the person I am today. I haven't had a tattoo in over a year so I may have nogoals, or none I wish to celebrate.

Also, I am the most intelligent person I know (I'm not being arrogant, merely stating a fact backed up by my lecturers) so yes I know how having them could affect my career. But I say ******** to that. If someone is shallow enough to turn to another and reprimand them for a tiny piece of metal, either by saying they are unattractive, stupid, slutty or a stereotype of adolescense, then surely it is the antagonist who has the problem NOT the person who chooses to adorn their skin. If we were all the same, it would be a ****** sad world. And I'm not ready to sit in a line shouting "baa" just yet

ReputationRep:

The problem with your explanations is that they ALL reference what other people will think. Some of us aren't so self conscious. I got mine because I liked them, I wanted them done. I wasn't trying to be perceived as anything or fit in with any particular group. If you really want to know, my two tattoos are both references- one to a dead relative and one to an awesome time in my life. My piercings are just there coz I like them. No further reason. Maybe some people do it for the reasons you have listed, but the point remains that you cannot judge people with tattoos or piercings as all having done it for these reasons, therefore cannot make sweeping generalisations about them. Argh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess041288)
    The problem with your explanations is that they ALL reference what other people will think. Some of us aren't so self conscious. I got mine because I liked them, I wanted them done. I wasn't trying to be perceived as anything or fit in with any particular group. If you really want to know, my two tattoos are both references- one to a dead relative and one to an awesome time in my life. My piercings are just there coz I like them. No further reason. Maybe some people do it for the reasons you have listed, but the point remains that you cannot judge people with tattoos or piercings as all having done it for these reasons, therefore cannot make sweeping generalisations about them. Argh.
    no but there must be a reason why you like them, and it is the reason why you like them which makes a statement about your preferences, and your preferences are part of your personality.

unless your reason is 'i like them because i like them, i dunno why they just look good innit' in which case you would be confirming the common stereotype that those with piercings are unintelligent and/or act without any proper thought or reasoning behind their actions

i would have thought it fairly self evident that self expression is an expression of who you are.....:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    no but there must be a reason why you like them, and it is the reason why you like them which makes a statement about your preferences, and your preferences are part of your personality.

unless your reason is 'i like them because i like them, i dunno why they just look good innit' in which case you would be confirming the common stereotype that those with piercings are unintelligent and/or act without any proper thought or reasoning behind their actions

i would have thought it fairly self evident that self expression is an expression of who you are.....:rolleyes:
    Why "must" there be a reason why they like them? Do you have to write a f****** essay explaining to everyone why you like the look of your favourite pair of jeans, in what way you feel you are expressing yourself by wearing them, how they show your personality and what they mean to you as a person? I didn't get a tongue piercing to represent some deep self-expressive journey and show everyone HI THIS WHO I AM. I got it because I like the way it looks. Get over it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.