Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Trinity is about the only decent university (yes, yes, I know - a college) in the Irish republic. It's hardly a big one either.

I don't see how its size impacts on its reputation or anything really to do with the argument. Yep, it's compact due to the unfortunate predicament of being completely hemmed in by the surrounding city centre. It still manages to hold 15,000 students. It could probably take more except for the crippling debt problem. Yes it's the only Irish uni in the THES Top 50 rankings, but UCD, UCC and NUIG are all excellent unis too! Just not as old or West-Brit enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    I don't see how its size impacts on its reputation or anything really to do with the argument.
    The point is that it will therefore be harder to get in to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    I went to Trinity - I did Political Science - OP did you mean Law or Politics, because I'm fairly certain you can't do a joint honours degree in Law and Political Science at Trinity, in fact the only way to end up with a Political Science pure degree is to do it through BESS......
    You can do a 'law and political science' course at Trinity, where you would be awarded with an LLB (the law qualification that you need to progress to be a solicitor/barrister).

http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergradu...rse.php?id=263

(Original post by greenleys)
    Fees are a small part of University expenses. If you go to a Uni outside the UK you can't get a loan or a grant, so accomodation, food etc would all have to be paid out of savings or by parents.
    I think the aim here is to reduce my student debt , my dad currently provides my brother with the rent he has to pay at uni and I'm sure that he will cover my food/other costs if he knows that I avoiding paying £3225 a year.

(Original post by discombobulation)
    I don't suppose this tuition fee thing applies to post-graduates?? *hope*
    As I am aware there are no tuition fees for post graduates. See the link below for info on fees for non-EU students.

http://www.educationireland.ie/index...&Itemid=100341

I wasn't aware of the 'registration fees', so thanks to the person that posted that .

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=doivid]You can do a 'law and political science' course at Trinity, where you would be awarded with an LLB (the law qualification that you need to progress to be a solicitor/barrister).

http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergradu...rse.php?id=263

QUOTE]

Oh right, its a new course... thats cool, I'd have done that if it'd been around when I was there... (and I know what an LLB is, I'm doing one now )

And from what I've just seen on the TCD website there are definitely fees for post grad students - an arts related taught masters is €5750

ReputationRep:
    I am quite desperately desperate to get to Trinity now!! heh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doivid)
    I wasn't aware of the 'registration fees', so thanks to the person that posted that .

It was really a beautiful part of the 2009 budget- universities may raise their registration fees to €1500 if they eh so want to. They all jumped in a second. About 7 years ago they were very resonable- €500ish but they've been climbing like mad, by the time the budget came in UCD's fees were over €1000 and Trinity's were almost €1000, you have to pay €75 for the stupid sports centre even if you never use the ******.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that sports centre thing is a load of crud - you can blame Mr Quinn (SU President 2006/07) for that - they managed to convince him it'd be better for everyone if we all paid a small figure - he didn't cop on it meant the centre would get more money - I voted against it myself - such a rip off when ya don't use the place

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and to get an exemption from it you basically have to have a really low family income and write a begging letter or two. Since your card has to be activated to use the sports centre, they should go through people's accounts and refund everyone whose cards were never activated...

ReputationRep:
    Do it. Ireland is a beautiful country and Dublin a great city to be a student.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.