Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    From what i've heard from friends already at uni societies are an awsome place to meet friends and get involved. Thus i've been thinking "i'll give that a try", the problem is i really have no idea which one/ones to try. I mean aren't the majority based around sport? which by the way i am great at watching/spectating but definately NOT playing. I did a lot of drama but don't want to join a dramatic societey full of drama students because to be honest i only ever used to p1ss about with drama, nothing serious. i'm going to sound really boring now but the only extra-ciricular things i did at college was read and go clubbing.
    so essentially the question i'm asking is are there any societies that are not sport based, where i can just meet people, drink and have a laugh without having to do anything "society-ish", i realise i'm probably asking a lot/being ridiculous.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Here's a list of the societies at Exeter. Not sure if they're all there but there's certainly a lot more than sport.

http://www.exeterguild.org/minisites...php?cat_id=192

I'm thinking chocolate society!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam...)
    Here's a list of the societies at Exeter. Not sure if there'll all there but there's certainly a lot more than sport.

Thanks
    ...and i'll see you at the chocolate society! OMG what an ace idea, now to find a vodka society and all fo my society based dreams have come true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **EM**)
    Thanks
    ...and i'll see you at the chocolate society! OMG what an ace idea, now to find a vodka society and all fo my society based dreams have come true!
    Haha! See you there

ReputationRep:
    Here's a list of the societies at Exeter. Not sure if they're all there but there's certainly a lot more than sport.

that reminds me i need to sort out the page for wildsoc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayzy)
    that reminds me i need to sort out the page for wildsoc
    wildsoc... is that a nature club?

ReputationRep:
    wildsoc... is that a nature club?
    its sort of based around the animal behaviour course and people who are intersted in animals

but its actually an excuse for us to have a regular socials and hopefully trips to the zoo etc

theres some charity stuff but im social sec so i tend to just be in charge of arranging nights ou :cheers:

ReputationRep:

mm chocolate society. smart idea.:yes:

Some of those societies look awesome

In seriousness, The Hispanic Society, Poledancing Society, Law Society, and Philosophy Society look intriguing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **EM**)
    From what i've heard from friends already at uni societies are an awsome place to meet friends and get involved. Thus i've been thinking "i'll give that a try", the problem is i really have no idea which one/ones to try. I mean aren't the majority based around sport? which by the way i am great at watching/spectating but definitely NOT playing. I did a lot of drama but don't want to join a dramatic societey full of drama students because to be honest i only ever used to p1ss about with drama, nothing serious. i'm going to sound really boring now but the only extra-ciricular things i did at college was read and go clubbing.
    so essentially the question i'm asking is are there any societies that are not sport based, where i can just meet people, drink and have a laugh without having to do anything "society-ish", i realise i'm probably asking a lot/being ridiculous.
    thanks
    There are many! Lots of silly societies around such as ChapSoc, ChocSoc...in fact I was a founder committee member of ChocSoc so I can confirm you're making an excellent choice there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    To be honest not seeing an Anime Society has added to the list of things that make me not want to go exeter
    Why? All you'd have to do is find some other people who are interested, and start one.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the Green Society still exists? All the info on the internet is from 2007...

And is the ChocSoc basically what I think it is? i.e. eating chocolate? If so I am so there!

ReputationRep:
    ChocSoc = various chocolate-related events, including Malteser races, dessert-eating competitions (usually at the infamous Harry's restaurant on Longbrook Street), and pub quizzes with mahoosive chocolate bars as the first prize (by mahoosive I mean 5kg or more).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    ChocSoc = various chocolate-related events, including Malteser races, dessert-eating competitions (usually at the infamous Harry's restaurant on Longbrook Street), and pub quizzes with mahoosive chocolate bars as the first prize (by mahoosive I mean 5kg or more).
    Ahhh the desserts at Harrys are incredible. I so want one now

Creme brulee....mmmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    In that case I am definitely there! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    To be honest not seeing an Anime Society has added to the list of things that make me not want to go exeter
    There is a Japanese Society (started the year just passed) and speaking from experience, they talk a lot about Anime - We went to Japan over Easter, which was pretty immense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    There is a Japanese Society (started the year just passed) and speaking from experience, they talk a lot about Anime - We went to Japan over Easter, which was pretty immense!
    My interest, she is piqued :O I went to Japan last February and it was amazing, I would love to go back... was this trip just a one off thing or do you think they might do more in future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misslaurabee)
    My interest, she is piqued :O I went to Japan last February and it was amazing, I would love to go back... was this trip just a one off thing or do you think they might do more in future?
    I believe they will be planning on going again. I'm not on the committee, but as I understand it, it is supposed to be a regular occurrence =] Works out very good value for money when I went as well - £1200, including all my spending money.

ReputationRep:
    I believe they will be planning on going again. I'm not on the committee, but as I understand it, it is supposed to be a regular occurrence =] Works out very good value for money when I went as well - £1200, including all my spending money.
    That is AWESOME. I will definitely look in to joining that society then and that's a great price, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misslaurabee)
    That is AWESOME. I will definitely look in to joining that society then and that's a great price, too.
    It really is. I had £600 spending money - £200 went on the rest of the accommodation fees, for 10 days. So thats £600 for flights with Virgin - pretty good to me xD

ReputationRep:
    It really is. I had £600 spending money - £200 went on the rest of the accommodation fees, for 10 days. So thats £600 for flights with Virgin - pretty good to me xD
    Whereabouts in Japan did you go? When I went we visited Tokyo, Kyoto and Nara, so a mixture of city and slightly more rural(ish) areas, which were lovely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.