Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How far do the windows in the Student Halls actually open? Can you actually get a proper breeze through?

ReputationRep:
    Just. It varies between accomodation, but they put new restrictors on the Cwrt Mawr windows towards the end of this year, the email I have says they only open up to 10cm now. I never had too much problem though, and windows opened more in other aber accomodation i've been in - although health and safety might have been around there by now too..

ReputationRep:
    The window thing was a stupid thing to do, I was on the ground floor and they still did it! I didn't shut my window I think since I got back after Easter until the end of term because it was so stuffy, daft idea and a waste of money if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    My window in Cwrt Mawr ould hardly open since they put the restrictors on. It was crazy, I was on the ground floor, not likely to plummet to my death! I had to buy a fan because it was so hot.

Penbryn got the worst of it though. The kitchen always got the sun shining in, and during the last few weeks when we had to heatwave, it was impossible to sit in the kitchen. The restrictors on the window prevented any cool air comming in. We had to set in the corridors to keep cool!

ReputationRep:
    ok there not the best things to keep robbers out but its alot better than giving them a open window to pinch all your things...

ReputationRep:
    You could JUST about get a breeze going.
    But you do spend alot of time in your pants on the really hot days.

I was in brynderw, and I heard they did it because some girl fell from the 3rd floor because he window was wide open and she was drunk. Pretty sure the windows on the bottom floor open fine.

ReputationRep:
    The windows in Alexandra halls open all the way, but I had to prop mine open for it to stay. You just have to be careful of the pigeons down there, as they will come into your room if you leave it open. I used to walk into the kitchen quite frequently to find a pigeon!
    The window restriction they have added to the other halls mean it is hard to get much air in, but I guess they had good reasons for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizk123)
    The windows in Alexandra halls open all the way, but I had to prop mine open for it to stay. You just have to be careful of the pigeons down there, as they will come into your room if you leave it open. I used to walk into the kitchen quite frequently to find a pigeon!
    The window restriction they have added to the other halls mean it is hard to get much air in, but I guess they had good reasons for it.

Yeah we had the pigeon problem as well in Alex...was slightly annyoing to come in and find your kitchen full of ****

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm correct in saying they've put them on Rosser windows too now. When I was there in 2007/08, we were in a top floor flat and you could open your window fully and lean right out. It used to get really stuffy in our flat being on the top floor and with all the heat rising to the top of the building.

I remember one day opening my window to let some fresh air in and seeing two girls in the block opposite, sitting on the window ledge with their legs right over the side! Really dangerous, but none of the porters ever seemed to say anything as they did it quite often.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.