Turn on thread page Beta

Sims3 or Age Of Empires III for macbook? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, I just got a new macbook and I LUUURVE it.

Now, I am being stingy and don't want to spend £60 on games all in one go cause that'd be scary with the amount I have spent on this laptop already.

Sims3 or Age Of Empires III???

ReputationRep:
    Sims isn't a game, it's a joke. Age of Empires 2 is better than Age of Empires 3. Not sure how they'd play on a mac though, why didn't you get a proper computer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Sims isn't a game, it's a joke. Age of Empires 2 is better than Age of Empires 3. Not sure how they'd play on a mac though, why didn't you get a proper computer?
    I did. I am not going to get into a mac V pc debate. Thanks for your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)

Now, I am being stingy and don't want to spend £60 on games all in one go cause that'd be scary with the amount I have spent on this laptop already.

How are we supposed to advise you on this?
    They're both good games in their own right.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Sims 3 !

ReputationRep:

Get Sims...AOEIII sucks imo, especially the naval battles cos it produces so much smoke that the game just grinds to a standstill, plus the gameplay just wasn't as fun as AOE or AOEII...
    Or have a look at Rise of Nation

ReputationRep:
    Aoe2

ReputationRep:
    I have Age of Empires 3 on Mac, I do love it, and thinks it has a lot more staying power than sims 3. So i heartily recommend it, it is pretty much my gap year! lol

ReputationRep:
    Deffo not AOE3 (I second the Rise of Nations suggestion :p: ) but maybe sims 3.

ReputationRep:
    Civ 4. Would keep you occupied for yeeeeeears

ReputationRep:
    Age of Empires III isn't very good (I've got it). The story warfare thing is quite fun though (but doesn't last for a long time). In terms of length of play, it's far less than Age of Empires 2 or 1 (even than their expansions). It didn't take me very long to complete. Also it's a lot less fun than the other two.
    Sims 3 I also have, and I have to say I'm finding it rather boring. It was good for about a week and I got bored of it. That's the problem with Sims games though. Personally once you tried one sim game, you've tried them all. Sims 3 however is better than sims 2 or 1, it's just that it's quite boring as it's so similar to the other sims games. If you haven't played sims 2 or 1, you're likely to like sims 3. If you've spent a lot of time playing sims 2, there is a possiblity sims 3 will get boring very quickly. Expansions may fix that though (but I was happy just playing sims 2 without expansions, but even sims 2 got boring after a couple of months).

Empire total war (similar to Age of Empires in many ways, just a bit more complex) was the other big game released this year. It's ok, the actual management of the grand campaign is better, but the battle warfare (land combat) is worse in my opinion (but that's perhaps due to my dislike of the weaponry of the time). I don't particularly like the use of guns, I find them a bit boring and clumsy. I prefer melee warfare. Hence I'd actually advise getting Medieval total war 2 instead of Empire (Empire needs a very powerful computer to run well too).

Final verdict: Get Age of Empires 2 (with the conquerers expansion if possible, that's very good. I liked the conquerers expansion better than any of the other games of Age of Empires, but of course you must buy Age of Empires 2 in order to play it) or Medieval Total War 2.

From my post, it might sound like I'm obssessed with computer games, but I rarely play them (it just happens that those two games you are talking about are two of the few computer games I have, lol).

ReputationRep:
    AOE3 Singleplayer is awesome, but if you want more scope and are into that sort of game, go for the sims. I've played Sims3 once, I didn't like it so much.

If I were you though, I'd probably get neither.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, thanks for all the help guys. I've been reading online reviews too... maybe I wont buy either

ReputationRep:
    Neither. Save your money

ReputationRep:
    neither play a real game :p:

ReputationRep:
    AOE 3 is ok, but I completed the single player campaign in 2 days and haven't really touched the game since.

The Sims 3 is very addictive as long as you have ageing and story development turned on, that way there is lots going on and your sims grow up and die, forcing you to play with other sims.

I'd get the Sims 3.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Age of Empires above the Sims. I'm still a Sims fan from the original release, but it just becomes a bit samey. There's something a little more expansive about Age of Empires that makes it feel as if the money's worth is there.

ReputationRep:
    AOE3 is the worst in the series IMO. Sims 3 > AOE3 but Sims 3 = AOE2.

ReputationRep:
    OMG you guys all need to stfu.

AOE3>Sims3 and you know why? because AOE3 is multiplayer. and we have a pretty good minicommunity online

if u get it we can play and I can beat you

my brits>all.

ReputationRep:

I've never played the second game, but The Sims 3 was absolute rubbish! I played it twice and then sold it! If you want the Sims, get the second one!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 21, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.