Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    My lifestyle?? You disagree with the whole "sending kids to public school" concept? Fees are about 14k per year - so for 3 kids that's 42k a year. That leaves 58k per year between 2 people and 3 kids for general living costs. Hardly extravagant, no?

If you're on less than 20k for the whole household, why have 3 children...

Though aside from that question, they're on benefits and clearly won't have anywhere near the same opportunities as kids whose parents can afford to send them to a good school, pay for them to maybe learn how to play an instrument should they want to or whatever...

You're right that the extra 80k would give them that. You're also right that it's not fair, if that's what you're saying... but frankly I don't care if it's fair. They're not my kids.

I was not disagreeing with the concept. I was merely suggesting that if you think 100k for a household of 5 is scraping through then I would question your lifestyle and what the hell you spend your money on. And you think public school is giving your kids the "best start in life"? Give me a ******* break.

Also, please don't make anymore comments like: "why have 3 children?". Your ignorance amuses me. Circumstances change, chump.

Afford to send them to a good school? There are plenty of state schools regarded as "good schools". So, as you see it, you have to spend more money to send somebody to a "good school"? Ha.

I'm not saying it's not fair. It's your money, you spend it on whatever you want. Just don't say you'll be scraping through with 100k :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness, the 100k thing was assuming the worst case scenario of 3 kids, unemployed wife and of course, giving your kids the best start in life. In that case, I wouldn't even think it'd be enough, or well, it'll scrape in as just about enough with not much if any to spare. Anyone able to send their kids to a better school probably would, and having gone through a predominantly state school education with 2 years in a public school on a scholarship and bursary, I have to say that the standard of education and provisions are much, much better - and if I had the money in the future, I'd pay for my kids to be sent to a better school as well. Who wouldn't?

If you closed down all public schools, then parents would simply move to the catchment area of good state schools, paying the higher price for housing if they have to... or send their kids to a decent grammar school. You're saying you wouldn't pay for your kids to go to a public school even if you had more than enough money!? Come on... even Labour politicians, who should... due to their political standpoint, send their kids to state schools... don't.
    You know, that is my position exactly- I don't like elitism, but if I had a chance to send my (hypothetical) kids to a good school I would. the ends justify the means. though even choice of school doesn't always guarantee a good education, I know few examples of this.

ReputationRep:
    And another question. When you're all on 100k or so a year as consultants, and your kids are about secondary school age... what are you going to do with all that money??

You're not going to send your kids to a better school... as you've said, so what are you going to do? Give the money to charity? Buy a better car??

Don't your kids matter more...

Again you are using the ruse that a public school means a better school. I believe I've had a greater "Life Experience", if you will, attending a state school. I would have it no other way. I've learnt that nothing in life comes easy - an important lesson plenty of public school children would miss.

My kids matter. That's why I would rather send them to a state school. Use the money on holidays, a nice house for them to live in, maybe leave a little for moi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    I was not disagreeing with the concept. I was merely suggesting that if you think 100k for a household of 5 is scraping through then I would question your lifestyle and what the hell you spend your money on. And you think public school is giving your kids the "best start in life"? Give me a ******* break.

Also, please don't make anymore comments like: "why have 3 children?". Your ignorance amuses me. Circumstances change, chump.

Afford to send them to a good school? There are plenty of state schools regarded as "good schools". So, as you see it, you have to spend more money to send somebody to a "good school"? Ha.

I'm not saying it's not fair. It's your money, you spend it on whatever you want. Just don't say you'll be scraping through with 100k :rolleyes:
    I do believe public school is giving your kids the best start in life. Plus, my lifestyle is quite simple actually - though it depends on things such as where abouts in the country you're living, etc...

ReputationRep:
    Again you are using the ruse that a public school means a better school. I believe I've had a greater "Life Experience", if you will, attending a state school. I would have it no other way. I've learnt that nothing in life comes easy - an important lesson plenty of public school children would miss.

My kids matter. That's why I would rather send them to a state school. Use the money on holidays, a nice house for them to live in, maybe leave a little for moi.
    Of course, you've never attended a public school so how can you say that state schools give you a greater life experience?? That's a stupid thing to say when you've only seen one side of it.

I've attended both a state school and a public school... and there is no difference in "life experience", except you don't get into fights or get bullied at public school. So much for life experience...

Maybe one day when your kid comes home from school with his nose broken in a fight, being chased around the entire school by a gang of bullies, you'll understand...

ReputationRep:
    Of course, you've never attended a public school so how can you say that state schools give you a greater life experience?? That's a stupid thing to say when you've only seen one side of it.

I've attended both a state school and a public school... and there is no difference in "life experience", except you don't get into fights or get bullied at public school. So much for life experience...

Maybe one day when your kid comes home from school with his nose broken in a fight, being chased around the entire school by a gang of bullies, you'll understand...

In a public school you do not meet people from all walks of life. Oh wait, maybe the 1 person a year on a scholarship will be relatively poor...

And about the bullying, yeah it can be bad. But that doesn't mean it's non-existent in public schools now does it?

Besides, fights are good.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its as simple as one is better than the other. If I was working in Hackney or Tower Hamlets, then in all honesty I would probably have my children educated privately. However I would chose to live somewhere else entirely where the state schools are better. (I do appreciate this is just spending the money differently)

For me the issue is whether I want to have someone else spending more time with my child than me. The answer to the question is no. That is why I wouldn't send my children to a private school.

TP its daft to suggest people don't get bullied at private school, they get bullied everywhere!

ReputationRep:
    In a public school you do not meet people from all walks of life. Oh wait, maybe the 1 person a year on a scholarship will be relatively poor...

And about the bullying, yeah it can be bad. But that doesn't mean it's non-existent in public schools now does it?

Besides, fights are good.
    You have not been to a public school before. You cannot comment on this and you know it.

Actually, you do meet people from all walks of life, and there's less drugs involved and fewer wasters in your year, who have no interest in doing any work whatsoever and distract or bully those who do work. Bullying, at least at the school I went to, was non-existent whereas at the state school before that, it was pretty common.

Fights are good?? You can **** right off. Have you ever been in a fight. Imagine the situation... you against about 5 other people, who've been hunting you down all day. Do you know what it's like to be scared of going into school because of what will happen. You can **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egypt)
    TP its daft to suggest people don't get bullied at private school, they get bullied everywhere!
    The bullying isn't physically getting hit. Verbal bullying isn't even proper bullying. I meant, no fights... because the stupid "Human Rights Act" doesn't protect your ass from getting expelled at public school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egypt)
    For me the issue is whether I want to have someone else spending more time with my child than me. The answer to the question is no. That is why I wouldn't send my children to a private school.
    I think you're confusing boarding schools in general, with public schools.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to 3 private schools and 2 state schools. They were all filled with the same problems of bullying and drink and drugs. I do believe, however, that the start I was given by the very first private school I went to got me to where I am today.

ReputationRep:
    You have not been to a public school before. You cannot comment on this and you know it.

Actually, you do meet people from all walks of life, and there's less drugs involved and fewer wasters in your year, who have no interest in doing any work whatsoever and distract or bully those who do work. Bullying, at least at the school I went to, was non-existent whereas at the state school before that, it was pretty common.

Fights are good?? You can **** right off. Have you ever been in a fight. Imagine the situation... you against about 5 other people, who've been hunting you down all day. Do you know what it's like to be scared of going into school because of what will happen. You can **** off.

I did not mean that last line. I simply used it to make a point. You are clearly going on your own personal experience, and I am sorry to hear it was clearly horrible.

To be honest, 1 on 5 isn't even a fight. It's a bloody jumping.

You can **** right off. I have been in a fight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencer Wells)
    I've been to 3 private schools and 2 state schools. They were all filled with the same problems of bullying and drink and drugs. I do believe, however, that the start I was given by the very first private school I went to got me to where I am today.
    My friend went to a private school , and they had no bullying. Academics were crap though, with too much emphasis on the extra-curriculars and not enough on serious stuff, like sciences.

Like you, I went to three schools (not in England), and the first one was better by miles, as it was gymnasium.The last one was a comp in a relatively poor estate and bullying there was rife- news of another kid who was beaten were an everyday occurence.
    I guess much depends on luck, and even public schools can be tough :unsure: But I would choose public anyday, to hell with the principles.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're confusing boarding schools in general, with public schools.
    You are right. Whenever I think of private schools I think of boarding schools - most people I know who went to private schools boarded.

I suppose when I think of my education and what got me to where I am today I invariably end up thinking of my parents. It was my parents who did all the extra-curricular activities with me, it was them that supported me in applying for medicine. When my chemistry teacher went off sick during A-levels they provided me with a tutor. (tutor = no family holiday that year )

I'm undoubtedly biased as I went to a state school and did very well. The school was good, not excellent, it was my parents that were.

I'm not sure I would have done any better if I had gone anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    Youre making a massive assumption that everyone who goes to a public school is well off.

Point of fact, I know plenty of people who attend public schools and their parents work damn hard to send them there. I can assure you, they live no more lavishly than any state schooler.
    Hell one of my best friends has their grandparents paying because his parents cant afford it.

Though I would have to say this will depend on where you live - public school in a normal area = just as much exposure to the real world as anyone else.
    Public school in preppy area = shielding.

Well I know nobody who goes to public school who is less well off than the stereotype.

What I don't see is, why would you sacrifice so much of the rest of your life and spend all that money on a public school?

ReputationRep:
    Verbal bullying isn't even proper bullying.
    I am amazed to read this from you who I had always thought to be a sensible person and poster on TSR.

I am fortunate that I have never been bullied and am proud to say I have never been a bully. However, verbal bullying can and often is much worse than physical bullying.

A physical bully may hit you every no and again but it tends to over quickly. A mental bully who verbally runs you down and drives away your self-esteem is so much worse and so much painful. The consequences on the sufferer are usually much worse and much longer lasting - not only that a verbal bully is much cleverer as they know it is very difficult to prove what they have done.

As for the rest of this thread - it is a pretty sorry state to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    I am amazed to read this from you who I had always thought to be a sensible person and poster on TSR.

I am fortunate that I have never been bullied and am proud to say I have never been a bully. However, verbal bullying can and often is much worse than physical bullying.

A physical bully may hit you every no and again but it tends to over quickly. A mental bully who verbally runs you down and drives away your self-esteem is so much worse and so much painful. The consequences on the sufferer are usually much worse and much longer lasting - not only that a verbal bully is much cleverer as they know it is very difficult to prove what they have done.

As for the rest of this thread - it is a pretty sorry state to be honest.
    Yes, I know that. I didn't mean what I said. Things on the thread generally got out of control. A lot of things have gotten out of control. I got out of control.

And sorry for swearing at you OoS, you brought back some horrible memories, but enough of that - it wasn't a big deal. I might have some wrong preconceptions, but I've only lived on one side of it all.

ReputationRep:
    My lifestyle?? You disagree with the whole "sending kids to public school" concept? Fees are about 14k per year - so for 3 kids that's 42k a year. That leaves 58k per year between 2 people and 3 kids for general living costs. Hardly extravagant, no?

If you're on less than 20k for the whole household, why have 3 children...

Though aside from that question, they're on benefits and clearly won't have anywhere near the same opportunities as kids whose parents can afford to send them to a good school, pay for them to maybe learn how to play an instrument should they want to or whatever...

You're right that the extra 80k would give them that. You're also right that it's not fair, if that's what you're saying... but frankly I don't care if it's fair. They're not my kids.

I seem to have opened a great can of worms here, but I would hasten all to note that earning £100k a year does not translate to £100k in the bank account. The tax man takes a horrendous portion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    I seem to have opened a great can of worms here, but I would hasten all to note that earning £100k a year does not translate to £100k in the bank account. The tax man takes a horrendous portion.
    No, it's not your fault. It must be part of my personality. I often find myself dragged into things like this because my own experiences disagree with what's expressed... but I've never really stopped to think that they are just my own experiences and not everyone's experiences.

And really, I'd be happy with 30k a year. You see... people always have preconceptions and try and stick me in a stereotype, and it ends up in an argument at school... and I've always pointed this out, but it just seems that I'm doing the same thing now.

ReputationRep:
    For the record, if you are ever in a five on one situation;

either run away or pick the easiest of the lot and let him know that know matter what he's going to be in hospital right next to you.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.