Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you regret studying medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    For the record, if you are ever in a five on one situation;

either run away or pick the easiest of the lot and let him know that know matter what he's going to be in hospital right next to you.
    I had a fight with a girl once, back in primary school, and I bit her arm so hard, she had to have stitches. Needless to say she never bullied me. But I still felt guilty for a long time.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Well, at least you did something. I don't hit back even when I'm getting battered... I just can't do it and the only time when I did punch someone was a instinctive reaction, unplanned, when the guy tipped flour all over me during Food Tech. and then I started apologising to the guy. He got a black eye... which made me feel even worse about the whole thing.

How did your fight start anyway?? You don't have to tell me but I'm just interested.
    Well, we were arguing about somehing, and started fighting. And then she told her male friend to punch me, after our scuffle was finished due to exhaustion. That angered me even more than the whole subject of the fight. The boy chose not to get involved. I was called a "wild animal" by my teacher :o: I'm not proud of it, anyway
    And good on you for punching that guy- I do not condone violence, but I am more of "an eye for eye" person. I understand your reaction and guilt though.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't get some girls... you know, I really don't. At my last school, this girl tried to strangle me, literally, because I didn't let her and her friends in front of me in the lunch queue. I was standing there, literally being choked... couldn't breathe at all and everyone around me found it amusing and was watching to see if I'd "hit a girl"... If she told me she was going to strangle me I'd have let her in front of me. Heck, I'd have let everyone in front of me. Teacher got in before I had to make the decision though.

I'm not a guy who hits people, but it's not something I'm proud of. I wouldn't mind standing up for myself once in a while... and really, girls, boys, if they come at you... I see no reason to treat them differently.

Your teacher and people around you probably still have a problem with boys hitting girls, though to be fair, some girls could take me out easily... so I don't see why there's a distinction. I just hated writing reports on this stuff all the time - never got anywhere. You know, taking matters into your own hands isn't all that bad. If someone hits you, I have no problem with people hitting back in defence. I just can't do it myself.
    I, my dear Sir Desmond, am a girl :p: And anyway, you have much to be proud of, you have achieved fantastic grades/offers coming from such background, bullying and all. Don't be ashamed of being a pacifist, I like people like you, the ones who don't use violence as an answer.
    Reports and complaining never work, and teachers in my schools hardly ever helped matters
    And some girls (incl. myself) are weird- this one girl had hit me for refusing to obey her- no,really. I hit her back,a nd this time I was proud of myself. Didn't stop me from crying afterwards :cry: And whilst I do not approve of violence towards women, in situations lkie you have described it is very much justifiable.
    :console: It was all in the past, TP, lets look forward to great days ahead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    I, my dear Sir Desmond, am a girl :p: And anyway, you have much to be proud of, you have achieved fantastic grades/offers coming from such background, bullying and all. Don't be ashamed of being a pacifist, I like people like you, the ones who don't use violence as an answer.
    Reports and complaining never work, and teachers in my schools hardly ever helped matters
    And some girls (incl. myself) are weird- this one girl had hit me for refusing to obey her- no,really. I hit her back,a nd this time I was proud of myself. Didn't stop me from crying afterwards :cry: And whilst I do not approve of violence towards women, in situations lkie you have described it is very much justifiable.
    :console: It was all in the past, TP, lets look forward to great days ahead
    Ah, I didn't realise you were female :p: Apologies.

I don't really like talking about my past really, so I'll stop now. It never ends well or gives the right impression about me, and the platitudes just make me feel worse. And for the whole application process and A levels, I'd moved school by then. I really don't think I'd have gotten into medical school if I hadn't though :p:

Anyway, yea, lots to look forward to.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I didn't realise you were female :p: Apologies.

I don't really like talking about my past really, so I'll stop now. It never ends well or gives the right impression about me, and the platitudes just make me feel worse. And for the whole application process and A levels, I'd moved school by then. I really don't think I'd have gotten in to medical school if I hadn't though :p:

Anyway, yea, lots to look forward to.
    It's ok, but most people on the forum sussed out my gender ages ago.
    And yes, I vote for a change of subject :p:
    what is that you lot saying about my lovely city on another thread? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    It's ok, but most people on the forum sussed out my gender ages ago.
    And yes, I vote for a change of subject :p:
    what is that you lot saying about my lovely city on another thread? :eyeball:
    What? That Birmingham is an awesome city? :angel:

Nah, but Birmingham is a great city - the medical school just didn't float my boat :p:

ReputationRep:
    What? That Birmingham is an awesome city? :angel:

Nah, but Birmingham is a great city - the medical school just didn't float my boat :p:
    Now, that is an opinion I share :teeth: although in this case I did not float their boat :p:
    Yesterday, I couldn't find it to meet my friend there, and spent ages walking around - I bet their admissions officer actually put a spell on the building so that I wouldn't enter it anyway :p:
    Anyway, I get a feel that I am derailing another thread and boring you into the bargain, so I'll see you alter, sometime

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not your fault. It must be part of my personality. I often find myself dragged into things like this because my own experiences disagree with what's expressed... but I've never really stopped to think that they are just my own experiences and not everyone's experiences.
    Verbal bullying at my state school made me even more of a quiet and reclusive child than I was naturally. It's taken me years to recover from that and even now I battle with various self-esteem issues (but luckily not too many!). It must have been such a relief to get away from it, and I can understand that you want that for other people going through the same situation. In fact it must seem positively cruel to you that other people seem to want to trap children in that childhood. Luckily I could escape my life by retreating into my imagination and think about my future, which I knew would be brighter than my bullies. If I had grown up a private school not only would my potential bullies have been prettier than me and richer than me, they might have also been cleverer than me. And that would have made for an even more depressing childhood. Private school has its' own set of pressures, which you probably wouldn't have seen as much of as you entered just for 6th Form, after the horror of the early teenage years.

I'm glad this thread has ended with everyone apologising and being nice to each other. Good times for TSR

ReputationRep:
    Now, that is an opinion I share :teeth: although in this case I did not float their boat :p:
    Yesterday, I couldn't find it to meet my friend there, and spent ages walking around - I bet their admissions officer actually put a spell on the building so that I wouldn't enter it anyway :p:
    Anyway, I get a feel that I am derailing another thread and boring you into the bargain, so I'll see you alter, sometime
    The campus is quite big I guess, though it helps if you arrive by train. Nah, you're not boring me :p: And as for the derailing, well... this thread was already derailed pages ago :p: It's like pissing into a bucket of piss or shooting a bullet in an already dead person :p:

Well, talk to you whenever!

ReputationRep:
    The campus is quite big I guess, though it helps if you arrive by train. Nah, you're not boring me :p: And as for the derailing, well... this thread was already derailed pages ago :p: It's like pissing into a bucket of piss or shooting a bullet in an already dead person :p:

Well, talk to you whenever!
    I like the leafy campus, its a nice walk- unless you are late to meet your friend you havent seen for ages and are wearing new and uncomfortable shoes

And I am sad about not being the super derailer :sad:
    Actually, I'll stay awake and chat until Family Guy is off :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LatinMachine)
    Verbal bullying at my state school made me even more of a quiet and reclusive child than I was naturally. It's taken me years to recover from that and even now I battle with various self-esteem issues (but luckily not too many!). It must have been such a relief to get away from it, and I can understand that you want that for other people going through the same situation. In fact it must seem positively cruel to you that other people seem to want to trap children in that childhood. Luckily I could escape my life by retreating into my imagination and think about my future, which I knew would be brighter than my bullies. If I had grown up a private school not only would my potential bullies have been prettier than me and richer than me, they might have also been cleverer than me. And that would have made for an even more depressing childhood. Private school has its' own set of pressures, which you probably wouldn't have seen as much of as you entered just for 6th Form, after the horror of the early teenage years.

I'm glad this thread has ended with everyone apologising and being nice to each other. Good times for TSR
    Bullying does have that effect on self esteem. Glad to have escaped my childhood :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It looks like we are slightly off topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edie_Too)
    It may interest you to know that 7% of the UK population are educated privately. They represent over 70% of Government. This is wrong.
    The electorate have the power to change that if they wanted to. Don't assume that because they do not that means they somehow can not.
    No one is disenfranchised in this sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    I was not disagreeing with the concept. I was merely suggesting that if you think 100k for a household of 5 is scraping through then I would question your lifestyle and what the hell you spend your money on. And you think public school is giving your kids the "best start in life"? Give me a ******* break.

Also, please don't make anymore comments like: "why have 3 children?". Your ignorance amuses me. Circumstances change, chump.

Afford to send them to a good school? There are plenty of state schools regarded as "good schools". So, as you see it, you have to spend more money to send somebody to a "good school"? Ha.

I'm not saying it's not fair. It's your money, you spend it on whatever you want. Just don't say you'll be scraping through with 100k :rolleyes:

Heard of perspective? Not swearing? Holding a civilized conversation?

£100K with a family of one is different from £100k with a family of eight of varying ages.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I would never subject my kids to what I had to go through. As for the question of fairness, yes, it is unfair and yes, we do not all have the same opportunities in life. As unfair as it is, I'm not making it harder on my children simply because of a principle.
    That's fair enough, but you shouldn't expect everyone to be the same. It's not just a principle either, I think that coming from my background has turned me out just fine. In fact, compared to some privately schooled people I've seen, I'd say it's made me more hard-working, mature and self taught (although obviously this isn't going to be the case for everywhere or everyone). Now I've only experienced one side, public schooling might be better, but it was good enough for me.

And another question. When you're all on 100k or so a year as consultants, and your kids are about secondary school age... what are you going to do with all that money??

You're not going to send your kids to a better school... as you've said, so what are you going to do? Give the money to charity? Buy a better car??

Don't your kids matter more...
    That last line is quite derogatory really. Just because I don't feel like something is worth the money, doesn't mean I don't value who it is for. My parents could probably have afforded £300 for Medlink, but just because I didn't go doesn't mean they didn't think I mattered.

but frankly I don't care if it's fair. They're not my kids.
    What a wonderfully humanitarian view of the world. I guess this is why we see differently.

Verbal bullying isn't even proper bullying.
    That is just a shameful thing to say. Verbal bullying affected me far more than being hit ever has, and it's also a damn sight harder to do anything about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    I quite frankly don't care anymore, so I'm not going to respond to this. This thread is doing my head in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allthewayhome)
    Heard of perspective? Not swearing? Holding a civilized conversation?

£100K with a family of one is different from £100k with a family of eight of varying ages.

Okay, Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)

Okay, Jesus.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.