Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi evryone a job for a sales assistant has opened up in a WHSmith near me. It is for 16 hours a week. I was wondering what kind of timetable you think that might involve

Do you think it will just be 2 days at 9-5.30. Or could it be split up over 4 days or something. Also what is working at WHsmith enjoyable.

I havent applied yet. Also as the vacancy was advertised on jobcentre website do you think this lessons my chance of getting to job as so many people will view it on there?

ReputationRep:
    You should phone someone and ask them about the timetable. :yep:

Good luck. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Is it a weekend job? I used to do that. I can't remember my hours exactly, but it was something like 8:30 - 17:00 on a saturday; then start from 10:00 - 4:30 on a sunday.

I'm a bit bitter about WH Smith though, they never paid me the wages for the month before I left despite the barrage of calls....

ReputationRep:
    No it doesnt say if its weekend. It says 16 hours per week 4 days out of 6 between 9-5.30. I guess that means 16 hours spread over 4 days right? the store aint open on a sunday

ReputationRep:
    My friend works there, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone! Time-table wise though, I don't know, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    ok then to get to the job i will have to catch 2 trains. it will take an hour altogether. would u do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky3112)
    No it doesnt say if its weekend. It says 16 hours per week 4 days out of 6 between 9-5.30. I guess that means 16 hours spread over 4 days right? the store aint open on a sunday
    I would guess that it was split over 4 days, but they want employees to be flexible so it could be all weekend one week, and then be spread over 4 days the next week.

ok then to get to the job i will have to catch 2 trains. it will take an hour altogether. would u do that?
    It depends what the job would mean to you?

If you could do with the extra cash, and the experience - then you'll be mad not to go for it!

However, it would be rather pointless if you end up spending most of your wage on train fares! :confused:

Personally, I would go for it. A job is better than no job?

See: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=519655 (The Big WHSmith's Thread!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    It depends what the job would mean to you?

If you could do with the extra cash, and the experience - then you'll be mad not to go for it!

However, it would be rather pointless if you end up spending most of your wage on train fares! :confused:

Personally, I would go for it. A job is better than no job?

See: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=519655 (The Big WHSmith's Thread!)
    it would cost me around 5 pounds return each day

it would cost me around 5 pounds return each day
    In that case if you happen to work 4 days, that's £20 per week or £80 per the month. If you earn around £290 for the month (based on around £4.54 ph) then you only really take home ~£200. Then you need to include the time you spend on the train? It's going to be a trek

You have to decide what's best for you?

ReputationRep:
    i exagerated a bit it wud be about 3 pound a day could u work that out 4 me like u did above sorry lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelser)
    Is it a weekend job? I used to do that. I can't remember my hours exactly, but it was something like 8:30 - 17:00 on a saturday; then start from 10:00 - 4:30 on a sunday.

I'm a bit bitter about WH Smith though, they never paid me the wages for the month before I left despite the barrage of calls....
    same! they owe me so much money but there's nothing i can do about it!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I used to work at WHSmith... to be honest the timetable could be anything, but if it says 16 hours spread over 4 days it probably means you'll be doing 4 hours each day for 4 days per week. As a sidenote, the other shop assistants who work at WHSmith tend to be quite nice (in my experience), but the supervisors can be very arrogant and uncaring for your needs, and the pay is notoriously crap (I was on £4.28/hour when I worked there).

(Original post by katieclick)
    same! they owe me so much money but there's nothing i can do about it!
    Really? They paid me for a month after I left and then never gave me details on how to pay it back after I asked for them. So I still have it :p:

i exagerated a bit it wud be about 3 pound a day could u work that out 4 me like u did above sorry lol
    I'm basing this off the standard WHSmiths pay of £4.81. I'm not sure if that's still the same now.

2 Days a Week
    Train Costs - £6 (£24.00)
    Salary - £76.96 (£307.84)
    Taking Home - £70.96 (£283.84)

4 Days a Week
    Train Costs - £12 (£48.00)
    Taking Home - £64.96 (£259.84)

ReputationRep:
    I'm basing this off the standard WHSmiths pay of £4.81. I'm not sure if that's still the same now.

2 Days a Week
    Train Costs - £6 (£24.00)
    Taking Home - £70.96 (£283.84)

4 Days a Week
    Train Costs - £12 (£48.00)
    Taking Home - £64.96 (£259.84)
    thanks very much. That would be about 65 per week. Would that cover all the costs of a small car with no other income. Bear in mind that if I was to get a car there would be no train costs then?

thanks very much. That would be about 65 per week. Would that cover all the costs of a small car with no other income. Bear in mind that if I was to get a car there would be no train costs then?
    Don't even get me started on cars! They're so expensive! Buying, Tax, Insurance. :yes: LOL!

I guess if you had the car already, then that's a load off your mind! However, I'm not sure on your insurance etc but I do know people who are on the same pay as you, and have the same commitments and they manage!

ReputationRep:
    Don't even get me started on cars! They're so expensive! Buying, Tax, Insurance. :yes: LOL!

I guess if you had the car already, then that's a load off your mind! However, I'm not sure on your insurance etc but I do know people who are on the same pay as you, and have the same commitments and they manage!
    k thanks i got the money to buy the car initially already anyway so... say 10 on petrol 20 on insurance a week. is that about right. I wud only b drivin a second hand ka like 9 yrs old neway

k thanks i got the money to buy the car initially already anyway so... say 10 on petrol 20 on insurance a week. is that about right. I wud only b drivin a second hand ka like 9 yrs old neway
    If you will only be driving to work and back, then around £10-15 on petrol should be sufficient. But I guess it also depends on how economic the car is? (I'm not a big fan of cars! :mad:)

At £20 a week, you're annual premium would be around £1040, depending on the value of the car and the economics behind insurance, you should be looking for around £20-30 pounds. But everything varies so much, area, age, car, habits etc!

However, should you get the job and find you could do with an extra few quid etc, then you could always offer overtime etc. I know companies (like WHSmiths etc) like people who are flexible and could do overtime!?

ReputationRep:
    I dont know about you, but i work for smiths 13.5 hours a week, but it is all throughout the weekend, so i work 9-5.30 saturday and 10-4 sunday that gives me 5 days during the week to go to college etc.. you would most probably have to work it over a couple of days, i dont see them only needing you for a few hours a day. I dont mind working there but it can get bloody hectic when its busy and customers can be a pain just gotta think of the money at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chilliann)
    I dont know about you, but i work for smiths 13.5 hours a week, but it is all throughout the weekend, so i work 9-5.30 saturday and 10-4 sunday that gives me 5 days during the week to go to college etc.. you would most probably have to work it over a couple of days, i dont see them only needing you for a few hours a day. I dont mind working there but it can get bloody hectic when its busy and customers can be a pain just gotta think of the money at the end of the day.
    thing is the whsmiths by me is closed on a sunday

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.