Turn on thread page Beta

Taking Alcohol to America... watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok - so i'm 18 and i live in England...
    if i was to buy alcohol in the duty free at heathrow - would it be taken off of me in America as the age to consume alcohol is 21...?

ReputationRep:
    Probably not because you were an adult when you bought it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Probably not because you were an adult when you bought it.
    erm what?
    Yes, if they found it then they would take it off you.

ReputationRep:
    yes.

if they find it that is.
    I'm sorry we're a backwards country :/

ReputationRep:
    Just hide it somewhere in your bag. It's unlikely they would bother you with just a single bottle of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    Just hide it somewhere in your bag. It's unlikely they would bother you with just a single bottle of alcohol.
    We bother you for a bottle of shampoo larger than a few ounces thats not in a clear container. I think we might bother you for alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    We bother you for a bottle of shampoo larger than a few ounces thats not in a clear container. I think we might bother you for alcohol.
    D'oh!

ReputationRep:
    In theory they would have to notice it, and its not like they go thru your hand luggage routinely. However its not really worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    erm what?
    Yes, if they found it then they would take it off you.
    The person who bought it was an adult at the time of purchase. She was an adult in the country where she bought it, in this case England. So if she was an adult when she bought it then how can they take it off of her? It shouldn't matter that in America an adult is 21 because she isn't from America.

ReputationRep:
    The person who bought it was an adult at the time of purchase. She was an adult in the country where she bought it, in this case England. So if she was an adult when she bought it then how can they take it off of her? It shouldn't matter that in America an adult is 21 because she isn't from America.
    Because she's in America, not England.

You could perfectly legally buy a gun in America, but if you found your way to England with it, they'd take it off you. Even if you were entitled to buy it and own it in America, you're not here.

Same principle applies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GazzyG)
    Because she's in America, not England.

You could perfectly legally buy a gun in America, but if you found your way to England with it, they'd take it off you. Even if you were entitled to buy it and own it in America, you're not here.

Same principle applies.
    Yh but that's because of something being legal and then illegal as opposed to just different ages of being able to purchase something.
    USA UK
    E.g. Guns- legal/illegal
    Alcohol- 21/18
    (I'm not arguing because I agree with you)

ReputationRep:
    Utter tripe.
    The above has all come out of your imagination and is utterly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    Utter tripe.
    The above has all come out of your imagination and is utterly wrong.
    Erm no it has come from common sense. If you're an adult at the time of purchase then it shouldn't really matter that the age has changed from one country to another. They should respect other countries laws when it comes to alcohol etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yh but that's because of something being legal and then illegal as opposed to just different ages of being able to purchase something.
    USA UK
    E.g. Guns- legal/illegal
    Alcohol- 21/18
    (I'm not arguing because I agree with you)
    WHat ?????????????

what you are proposing is precisely to do with something being Legal/ Illegal.
    alcohol UK 18: Legal
    alcohol USA 18: Illegal.
    Now stop this nonsense

ReputationRep:
    Erm no it has come from common sense. If you're an adult at the time of purchase then it shouldn't really matter that the age has changed from one country to another. They should respect other countries laws when it comes to alcohol etc.
    There is no Common sense in your assumption.end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    There is no Common sense in your assumption.end.
    Yh there is because people go to other countries and get married (more serious than drinking) at 16 without parental consent and then it is validated/accepted over here. Different country, different laws but it's still allowed. So why wouldn't the same apply with alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    WHat ?????????????

what you are proposing is precisely to do with something being Legal/ Illegal.
    alcohol UK 18: Legal
    alcohol USA 18: Illegal.
    Now stop this nonsense
    That went so far over your head. Look up and you may see it pass you.

ReputationRep:
    That went so far over your head. Look up and you may see it pass you.
    Why are you dragging this out by clutching at straws?
    You are wrong, plain and simple.
    You were wrong the first time you typed your junk, and you are still wrong now.
    Sometimes in life you need to shut up and listen; that is what you need to do now.
    Last time I was in the states, you weren't even allowed to take an apple in........

Now be a good chap and give up. Wrong is wrong.

Oh and I wouldn't be looking over my head for the puerile comments and flawed arguments that you make, I think that I would find them under my shoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    Why are you dragging this out by clutching at straws?
    You are wrong, plain and simple.
    You were wrong the first time you typed your junk, and you are still wrong now.
    Sometimes in life you need to shut up and listen; that is what you need to do now.
    Last time I was in the states, you weren't even allowed to take an apple in........

Now be a good chap and give up. Wrong is wrong.

Oh and I wouldn't be looking over my head for the puerile comments and flawed arguments that you make, I think that I would find them under my shoes.
    Okay, you believe that. The last time you went was when? Just after 9/11?

I go I was unsure about it so don't quote me when I myself didn't say it was 100% right, I said what I believed so..jog on and stop replying. I'm sure there are other people for you to big yourself up to.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, you believe that. The last time you went was when? Just after 9/11?
    Lol, No, I was in Houston in March.

I go I was unsure about it so don't quote me when I myself didn't say it was 100% right, I said what I believed so.
    Ah yes, that was when I said it was all from your imagination and you said it wasn't. It would now appear that it was.

I'm sure there are other people for you to big yourself up to.
    Nothing to do with bigging up. you were wrong and you kept coming back for more.

end.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.