Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you could make three things in the world free for everyone, which would you pick? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely certain if I picked the right forum to post this in (please move it if not), but the "Debate and Discussion" section of the "Debate and Current Affairs" forum seemed reasonable enough!!

Maybe a question like this has been asked of you all before, but it was one that got me thinking a little today! If you were to be given the power to make any three things free (literally free of charge, but also freely available/accessible to anyone of any nation), which three things would you choose?

How you were to go about making these particular items, or actions, or facilities etc free is kinda besides the point - let's just say that you would be able to bring in a worldwide law, effective immediately, which means that nobody can charge you for whatever item or service you have decided to make free to all.

Your three choices could be based on principles you hold dear (maybe the freedom to communicate, or to express opinions in some form or other, or to travel, or to exchange certain goods, or to consume certain items), they might be things you think the world should have free access too - they might even be things which could end up dangerous in the wrong hands! That's entirely up to you

I will continue to think of my own three - I've got at least one already - and will get round to posting them up later - but you might have come up with better ideas by the time I get round to it!

Cheers everyone

mr_m

ReputationRep:
    So far I only have healthcare and education (university included).

ReputationRep:
    this is a very interesting thread.....
    ill go for the obvious i guess- health care, education and an effective legal system (which covers policing and punishment for crime.)

ReputationRep:
    Tampons.

Chocolate.

Shoes.

ReputationRep:
    Healthcare, housing and food. Easy

ReputationRep:
    Education.

Books.

Computer with internet connection.

ReputationRep:
    Does food count? (free food for everyone would be awesome)

On a more serious note I'd have to say healthcare, sanitation and education, with housing coming a close fourth.

ReputationRep:
    Food, water, healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    Phone/Mobile

Food

Education

- but theres lots more I can think of... like shoes, water, free travel - trains/planes/cars/ferrys etc.

ReputationRep:
    Spotify Premium

Subway

Coca Cola

ReputationRep:
    Free money.
    I think I won.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Food + water, healthcare and education.

ReputationRep:
    urmmm...this made me think a bit but my three are;

basic food and clean water (the amount of people suffering from malnourishment because of unclean water is disturbing)

freedom to an education ( without an education people can't get jobs which means lack of provisions and poor standard of life)

freedom of speech ( people should be able to voice their opinions and make them selves heard without fear)

ReputationRep:
    Flavity - exactly - there are a lot of things which would (theoretically) improve the world, were they to be made free - that's part of the challenge of having only three to choose from

Everyone who's putting healthcare and education - bear in mind that these things are already free, or subsidised, in a fair few countries, even some of the less economically developed ones (e.g. Brazil offers free education at all levels I believe?) - therefore, would making them completely free benefit everyone in the world, or just a proportion of the global population? (albeit a fairly significant one)

Bear it in mind!

mr_m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faith90)
    Free money.
    I think I won.
    :yes:
    No, you didn't win

Money is merely an instrument for purchasing goods and services. Having everyone with an unlimited amount of money would just cause massive inflation unless there was a corresponding increase in the availability of goods and services.

ReputationRep:
    Food/Water

Education

Health Care

ReputationRep:
    Education
    Health Care
    Internet

ReputationRep:
    Food+Water, Eduacation (all levels including books), Travel.

ReputationRep:
    Staple nutrients, secure homes and education.

ReputationRep:
    Education, justice, health care. But I can't limit it to that; I want communication to be free too, i.e. not paying for text messaging or for use of the internet. Obviously you need to buy your laptop and phone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.