Turn on thread page Beta

Am I too young for him? watch

ReputationRep:
    I work at my Dad's shop with this other guy who is 22. I'm 16. We have such a laugh working together, I'd be soo bored without him. He's really funny and he flirts with me quite a lot.

I just found out that the other day after work, he went to talk to my dad to tell him that he really liked me and ask him if he could take me out on a date one day. My dad told me that he didn't know what to say. My dad said he wasn't sure whether he should punch him in the face or burst out laughing. Now whenever my dad sees us together he just starts laughing, its so embarresing! lol.

But yeah, he is a lovely guy, funny, good looking, like everything I would look for in a guy. And I think my dad would possibly be cool with us going out because he has known him for so long and knows he is a nice guy. even though he is realllyyy overprotective.

But the other thing is that we have a 6 year age difference, is that wierd? My friend thinks its wierd because its like me dating a 10 year old

ReputationRep:
    I think it's too much. Not so much that it's 6 years, but because you're only 16. I'm not being patronising, honestly I'm not, but you're a totally different person at 16 compared to 22.

You're in way different stages of your life. It's too much. A 22 year old will be much more mature. I'm 19 and couldn't imagine being with someone that young tbh, and I think it's very strange of any 22 year old guy to want to be with a girl that young. If I was your father I'd totally put my foot down. If you were 18 and he was 24, it would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    it gets better the older you get. Sure, its weird, but whats the problem if you're both consenting and of the age of consent?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's not weird no.

When I was 16 I dated a 25 year old.

When I was 17 I got together with my husband who was 24 - we're still together now, have been happily married for over 4 years, and are expecting our third child. I'm now 25 and he's 32.

Age matters less the older you get.

ReputationRep:
    How many time's have i said this before...?

You have one life, live it.

Do what you feel like and forget what anyone else thinks.

The only thing is, when you're young. love seems more real and you fall in and out all too easily. Beware.

ReputationRep:
    i think women mature quicker than men so in my opinion,the age gap isnt as big as it seems
    and if you're happy with him then that's all that matters

ReputationRep:
    well its not like you dating a ten year old first of all lol.

I would say it is too much of a gap really. if you were 18 would be a bit different because theres such a big difference in mental growth between 16 and 18.

as long as you guys could get on if it didnt work but IMO just stick to a lad nearer your age

ReputationRep:
    With being 16 it might be weird for your parents who will always see you as a child :rolleyes:

But in all honesty, it depends on YOU TWO. You could be just right for each other, or you could be way too immature for him, or even him for you!! But it depends on people not age...

ReputationRep:
    seems a bit much tbh. And your dad would clearly object to it.

ReputationRep:
    Long as you're mature enough to handle it then I wouldn't think there would be many problems, apart from as Bubbles has said, you're both at different stages in life and it could be difficult to mesh them in a relationship. But you won't know until you try. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)
    well its not like you dating a ten year old first of all lol.

I would say it is too much of a gap really. if you were 18 would be a bit different because theres such a big difference in mental growth between 16 and 18.

as long as you guys could get on if it didnt work but IMO just stick to a lad nearer your age
    Thanks for that.
    But just out of curiosty what does IMO mean?

ReputationRep:
    Well for one you cant compare it to you going out with a 10 year old as thats not even comparable in my mind. One it would be illegal, your situation isnt.

Ask your dad how he feels seriously about it all, obviously he is going to be the hardest person to please in all of this, i think its a good thing, that the guy asked your dad prior to asking you, shows he has some decency.

Im not going to go into the whole debate about who is too old for someone and who is to young, as in this situation i dont think it is really the best thing to do, to go on about my personal thoughts. As your dad is envolved talk to him and see as i said how he feels, then think about if you would like to go out with the guy, age is pretty irrelevant in the grand sceme of things, but you have to be comfortable with the age gap to allow it to work.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, too much.

If it was 22 and 28, that would be better. It's coz you're 16, sorry. Still got a lot of change to get through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma_xo)
    Thanks for that.
    But just out of curiosty what does IMO mean?
    In My Opinion IMO

ReputationRep:
    What would a 22 year old want with a pubescent 16 year old anyway? Its not that its a 6 year gap, its more the age you are at the moment. If it was 18 and 24 then its completely different

ReputationRep:
    I would say its a bit much but only because you are 16. If you were 20 and he was 26 I think it would be less of an issue.

ReputationRep:
    22/ 2 = 11
    11 + 7 = 18
    Sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma_xo)
    I work at my Dad's shop with this other guy who is 22. I'm 16. We have such a laugh working together, I'd be soo bored without him. He's really funny and he flirts with me quite a lot.

I just found out that the other day after work, he went to talk to my dad to tell him that he really liked me and ask him if he could take me out on a date one day. My dad told me that he didn't know what to say. My dad said he wasn't sure whether he should punch him in the face or burst out laughing. Now whenever my dad sees us together he just starts laughing, its so embarresing! lol.

But yeah, he is a lovely guy, funny, good looking, like everything I would look for in a guy. And I think my dad would possibly be cool with us going out because he has known him for so long and knows he is a nice guy. even though he is realllyyy overprotective.

But the other thing is that we have a 6 year age difference, is that wierd? My friend thinks its wierd because its like me dating a 10 year old
    He's too old for you and frankly it's a bit weird that a 22 year old man is considering 16 year old girls.

You have to ask yourself, why doesn't he go for girls his own age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    I would say its a bit much but only because you are 16. If you were 20 and he was 26 I think it would be less of an issue.
    I'm 20, any 26 year olds here for me? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Depends how mature you are for a sixteen year old really. Don't think about what other people think, do what's right for you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.